Randy met many guitarists while on tour..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Randy met many guitarists while on tour..

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I've always wondered how much of an impression Randy left on other guitarists who could play well. He would of met some of the best while on tour and i'm sure everyone who he jammed with had a fun time. I seen this mentioned in the 'Saxon 1984' tour programme. Graham Oliver who played with Randy on tour in 1981 gives him much kudos here.
Attachments
100_3883.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Randy met many guitarists while on tour..

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Great topic! I'd like to hear 'Fast' Eddie Clarke's opinion... I've heard Lemmy's comments, but not Eddie's.

Randy mentioned Phil Collen being a good player, but I don't recall ever hearing Phil's words on Randy.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I have read that Randy and Paul 'Tonka' Chapman (UFO) became fast friends during the Diary tour. Paul had just entered an endorsement deal with Washburn guitars at the time, and reportedly Randy and Paul shared many hours trying out his new guitars and trading licks. Listen to bootlegs of UFO circa 82-83 and you can hear some Randyisms in Tonka's playing.

Tonka was also involved in getting RR to a dentist during this time frame, as Randy was having wisdom teeth issues.

Chapman is a favorite of mine. Excellent guitar player.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred1 wrote:Chapman is a favorite of mine. Excellent guitar player.
It had to be tough following Schenker in UFO.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
that would've been impossible :lol:
I'm not even sure Randy could've pulled it off :shock:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
that would've been impossible :lol:
I'm not even sure Randy could've pulled it off :shock:
Gotta agree there.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Gotta agree there.
Perhaps randy would have suffered the insults that brad and Zak have received?

It is easy to attack someone who is filling somebody else's shoes whilst trying to inject something of themselves into it. Randy created two truly great albums and what everyone always wants is that exact experience even when the band is different.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Trigger wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Gotta agree there.

It is easy to attack someone who is filling somebody else's shoes whilst trying to inject something of themselves into it. Randy created two truly great albums and what everyone always wants is that exact experience even when the band is different.
I never really had an issue with the guys who followed Randy and their versions of his tunes. My main complaint would be the excessive keyboards (which I hate in that context) and Zakk's incessant squeals - but that goes for Zakk in 99% of anything he plays.

I don't think I've ever listened to anything by UFO post Schenker, I'll have to look into that.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Gotta agree there.

I never really had an issue with the guys who followed Randy and their versions of his tunes. My main complaint would be the excessive keyboards (which I hate in that context) and Zakk's incessant squeals - but that goes for Zakk in 99% of anything he plays.

I don't think I've ever listened to anything by UFO post Schenker, I'll have to look into that.
Agreed about the keyboards. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think this was just a product of the times, though. Everyone and their dog were throwing keyboards into their music anyway they could shoehorn it in. Today, the music sounds dated.

Also agree about Zakk's pinch harmonics. He's a good guitar player, but the pinch harmonics are the musical equivalent of a nervous tic. He just can't quit doing that shit in his music, and to me, it takes away from the overall product. Your mileage may vary, though.

I personally think that everyone that that followed Randy did a great job, and stepped up to the plate impressively. None of them were Randy, obviously, but they each put their stamp on playing his music.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

what ive heard of live diary stuff is too much and loud keys.
whatever happened to all that electronic krap like synclavier guitars,simmons drums,roland dx7???hahaha
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

oth wrote:what ive heard of live diary stuff is too much and loud keys.
whatever happened to all that electronic krap like synclavier guitars,simmons drums,roland dx7???hahaha
Thankfully, it went the way of the dinosaurs. It used to be in the 80's that was all you'd hear there for a while.

Now we have autotune and other abominations against music to take their place. :shock:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This photo is from a couple of years ago when i had the chance to talk to Graham Oliver and Steve Dawson from Saxon. Graham was very vocal about Randy and Ozzy and still holds him in high status as being up there with the best. Nice guys and still out there gigging to this day. Oliver / Dawson Saxon ODS
Attachments
Oliver D Saxon backstage.jpg
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Great topic! I'd like to hear 'Fast' Eddie Clarke's opinion... I've heard Lemmy's comments, but not Eddie's.

Randy mentioned Phil Collen being a good player, but I don't recall ever hearing Phil's words on Randy.
It's a shame that Eddie has sadly died as he was cool for sending messages too. He would of been very easy to tallk to during that 1981 tour with Motorhead but as far as technique and being well above the standard of Ed. I think Randy would of been cool to meet but at the same time i could imagine on meeting him for the first time he would of been very shy and a little bit timid with the likes of the guys from MH.
Phil collen would of been more up his street ..when he was playing in 'Girl', shit man! the guy wore make up on stage. He reminds me of John5 for some reason and another very talented guitarist ...just imagine them two in a room trading licks..