Randy Rhoads owned and worn shirt from the 70's..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Jammin Jay

Randy Rhoads owned and worn shirt from the 70's..

Post by Jammin Jay »

I have in my collection a shirt owned and worn by Randy Rhoads from the Quiet Riot era. I bought it along with other early Quiet Riot memorabilia from a close friend of the band 15 years ago. I'm in the process of getting it authenticated now and need a little help. Tami Forward has been a huge help in this matter and I would have given up if it weren't for her. I'm looking for a close-up photo of the embroidering of the RR logo on any clothing or bowties made by Jodi Raskin. I've tried contacting her via her Facebook but she will not respond to my message. The shirt that I own is very small as was Randy. It is a long sleeve, button down light blue with small white polka-dots. The collar and cuffs are white with little blue polka-dots. The RR logo is on the collar in blue stitching. There is a light blue ribbon sewn on the bottom of the back to tightening it at the waste. And for the odd part of this shirt...The right hand cuff has a button and button hole and the left hand cuff has a button hole but where the button should be there is a small piece of stitch witchery...I'm thinking Jodi made it like this so it would hang loose on his arm while playing the guitar... I will post the entire story of how the girl that I got it from got it and the other stuff she had that Randy left in her car...And I will post pics of the shirt soon as well...Just got to figure out how...Please help if you can...Thanks, Jay...
Attachments
IMG_20130127_170943.jpg
IMG_20130127_170911.jpg
IMG_20130127_170858.jpg
Jammin Jay

Re: Randy Rhoads owned and worn shirt from the 70's..

Post by Jammin Jay »

And there...We have pics to go along with it...Thanks to my friend Lowell. I forgot to mention ..It has a few make-up/blush stains on it in a few places...Not sure if Randy wore blush on stage or a girl's face rubbed it....Anyway, here's the story of how D.M. (the girl I got it from) acquired the shirt. Quiet Riot was playing a gig in Orange County and Randy and another band member rode down there in her car. After the gig the band wanted to go out to the river for the weekend and decided to leave some personal items in her car to be picked up later which included velvet pants, his shoes, and other items including this shirt. She gave him everything back but the shirt...I think I remember her mentioning that he said she could keep it cause he didn't want it anymore...not sure why. Tami didn't know her but Ron Sobol remembers her and her sister. Another friend of Tami's said they remember the Orange County trip well and the story goes with D.M.'s story. Like I said before, If anyone can help me authenticating this great piece of Randy memorabilia it would be much appreciated...Thanks, Jay
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

If its real then you are the luckiest person

O and welcome to the form
Jammin Jay

Post by Jammin Jay »

Thanks, and I've always felt like it is the real deal. Pics don't do it justice...You gotta see it in person to believe it. I showed it to Randy Perry (we both live in the Dallas area) many years ago when we were both huge collectors of Randy stuff and he mentioned that if I ever wanted to sell it to give him first dibs...I see now that he got rid of his collection as did I over the years. I kept a few items along with this shirt, but once I get it authenticated, I want it to find a home in a private collectors Randy collection...Someone that will give it the attention it deserves...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I think you have enough authenticity to say it is an item of RR clothing. Unless another skinny guy with the initials RR has tried to palm this off as something owned by him. I think you'd need a photo of Randy wearing this to put the seal of approval on it. Like you mentioned, if Jodi made this shirt a letter wrote up by her would help to sell this cool item.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Jammin Jay wrote:Thanks, and I've always felt like it is the real deal. Pics don't do it justice...You gotta see it in person to believe it. I showed it to Randy Perry (we both live in the Dallas area) many years ago when we were both huge collectors of Randy stuff and he mentioned that if I ever wanted to sell it to give him first dibs...I see now that he got rid of his collection as did I over the years. I kept a few items along with this shirt, but once I get it authenticated, I want it to find a home in a private collectors Randy collection...Someone that will give it the attention it deserves...

The rhoads family maybe

If its real I am sure they will give it the-home it deserves
Jammin Jay

Post by Jammin Jay »

Kelly has seen pics of the shirt via pics I sent to Tami...He didn't seem that interested in authenticating it....I'm sure he has some of Jodi's work in his possession but all he said was he has never seen Randy wear it nor has he ever seen it at the house. He is on my friends list on my Facebook but I'm not gonna bother him anymore about the shirt. I'm looking for Lori Hollen (original Q.R. fan club president) now to see if she can help. I hear she has some RR bowties and some clothing as well...fingers crossed...
Last edited by Jammin Jay on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

:? :? :? :?: :? :? :?
Jammin Jay

Post by Jammin Jay »

Well...I thought for sure this would be the place to come to find my authentication for this awesome piece of Randy memorabilia. After 200 views, I'm pretty much where I started. I'm not disappointed...I know it's the real deal...Just wanted solid photo proof...I was just hoping to get it in a collection where it will be noticed and get the attention it deserves.
Last edited by Jammin Jay on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

If it is real then great! But even if it is real your going to be hard pressed to get that much IMO. You are better off trying the China/Japan markets for selling Randy stuff as i think you would probably get what your asking over there. But even still you would need authentication from either who made it or someone very close to Randy with maybe a photo of them holding the shirt with the authentication. This is the only way i really see you selling it for that price.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jammin Jay

Post by Jammin Jay »

Cool...Thanks....I forgot to mention this here but I mentioned it to Tami in our emails...I will be donating $1000 to the Randy Rhoads music Foundation in mine and her name if it sells for my asking price... Not sure why Jodi won't help out with this unless she hasn't got on her facebook in the past 2 months...Even thought about going through her daughter on her page....But that's going too far....This is the only site I will put it on...If it don't sell, I'll keep and cherish it like I have the past 15 years....I just think it deserves a better home than what I give it...
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

5k WITHOUT authentication???Once you get it authenticated you can ask whatever you want, thats fine, but as it stands now the shirt has no value other than sentimental.Not that i dont think your story is real but its only a story without proof.Im surprised people are offering 2500 without proof,that is blind faith.If nobody authenticates it you should take 2500 and be happy to not take a loss.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Jammin Jay

Post by Jammin Jay »

I agree...I'll keep trying to get proof...Somebody out there has got to know Jodi or could get me a photo of her RR stitching on another shirt she made for Randy...
Jammin Jay

Post by Jammin Jay »

These are pics of a shirt I own that was once owned and worn by Randy himself, (excuse the female mannequin, it was all I had to display the shirt for the photos). I'm a huge Randy fan and was a major collector of his memorabilia for many years. I had 3 large photo albums full of old Quiet Riot and Ozzy items... They included pics of the bigger items that wouldn't fit in my books. I showed them to Randy's Mom while sitting on her front porch and to the 4 members of QR at a gig in Dallas in 2001... They all said it's the biggest collection they have ever seen..Kevin even mentioned me and my collection later that night at the gig before they played Thunderbird. Over the years I have sold nearly all my collection except this shirt, a randy guitar pick, and a few photos. I've cherished these items for many years and feel that they belong in a collection where they will be seen by many.

I obtained the shirt in 1999 when I was buying Randy collectibles on eBay. I bought a collection of items from a friend of the band, Dawneen Mcintyre. She sold me original flyers, ticket stubs, fan club news letters, photos she took, a copy of the funeral program, 3 guitar picks, and the shirt. Randy gave her the shirt when she drove him to the QR gig in Long Beach on July 6, 1979. I've looked through many of pics over the years for a pic of Randy in the shirt....And finally I think I've found two. They can be seen in Ron Sobol's video...It's pics of Randy putting sunglasses on two dogs. A few years ago, I enlisted the help from Tami Forward to help me find more info on Dawneen and the authenticity of the shirt. She was a tremendous help. Through her, lots of friends, band members, and Randy's family have seen photos of the shirt. Kelly and Kathy both say that they have never seen it at the house but that doesn't mean that it wasn't his. Ace Steel remembers the trip to Long Beach and says Dawneen was there... Greg Leon (Randy's replacement in QR) says it's definitely the work of Jodi. Ron Sobol says he remembered Dawneen and he believes the story is legit. Kevin Dubrow and Rudy Sarzo have seen pics of the shirt and they both agree it is definitely Jodi's work. I've tried reaching Jodi through FB but have been unable to. I got a response from her through an email that I had with Lori Holland (QR fan club president). Jodi said she doesn't remember making the shirt but was very interested in who Dawneen was and how she obtained the shirt.

I recently found out through reading Ron Sobol's book that Jodi wasn't the only one making the bands clothing, Jodi's friend Laurie McAdams also made their clothing... I've looked everywhere on Facebook for her but had no luck. Tami says Laurie is unreachable. In the pics of the shirt you can see makeup stains, or could be nicotine stains (he was a heavy smoker) on the sleeves and collar believed to be from Randy. Also something that I overlooked for many years I noticed while chatting with Tami was that on the right hand sleeve it has a button and button hole... the left sleeve never had a button and the button hole was covered with stitch witchery... I've seen pics of Randy over the years with his left hand sleeve unbuttoned while playing guitar so it hung loose so I'm guessing that's the reason the shirt was made like this. You can tell from the stitching it is undoubtedly handmade. Another notable thing in Ron's book is a pic in the center of the book of Randy wearing a yellow and white polka dot vest. It has the exact same ties/drawstrings that are on my shirt...I have never seen any photos of his other stage vests with drawstrings. I'm assuming that the same person made both pieces.

I really want to find a worthy home for this. It won't be free but I am convinced it is invaluable and a priceless piece of Randy Rhoads does not deserve to be in my closet the rest of my life. My collection has dwindled so it's just time to let it go. Bring offers. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year! Jay

This is a link to all the photos
http://dailyretreatcampground.com/index ... Itemid=589