Quite the dead stretch here lately...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

jdemar02

Re: Quite the dead stretch here lately...

Post by jdemar02 »

‎Jesse Hughes‎ to Lori Hollen

November 20 at 8:21pm ·

Hi lori! Just wanted to let you know that me and my wife are driving from Vegas to Kathy's winery for Randy's 60th. I have a gift for Kathy ,Kelle and you.it just might be some of the rarest randy footage the public has ever seen. Hope to meet you, if not, I will leave your gift with Kathy hopefully! Your friend even though we have never met.

Maybe some new stuff!
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

We can only hope regarding the new footage.
Cryptic Night wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, in fact probably so, but I do recall a lot of dislike for it because it focused on interviews of people who didn't personally know Randy. Mr. Margolis spent a majority of the time going around the world interviewing all of these famous musicians and had them saying the same things over and over again (It's always nice to see these musicians talk about Randy, don't misunderstand me, but that really shouldn't have been the focus of the documentary in my opinion, in fact it shouldn't have even been part of the documentary). The snippets we got of the people who actually knew Randy, the people who actually worked with Randy, and of course the footage he managed to obtain. That was the good stuff about the trailer. It's been some time since I've seen the trailer, but I do recall some, in my opinion, pointless interviews with the like of Michael Angelo Batio and such.
I was ambivalent towards the trailer. I was glad they had Don Airey on-board, especially as Margolis had alienated some genuine friends of Randy; people like Bob Daisley, Kevin DuBrow, etc who wanted absolutely nothing to do with the film. Their opinions of Margolis were overwhelmingly negative. I know Bob has absolutely no time for him whatsoever. That said, I felt the trailer was a little bit amateurish. It was like a well edited YouTube video, nothing special, and not exactly what you would expect from a someone who clearly has many years experience in the business.

I also felt that including an anecdote about Randy and Jackie Fox having a sexual encounter on a bathroom floor was, well, bizarre. I would have expected that kind of stuff in the full length film, but in the trailer? It was all a bit crude.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

In regards to the documentary. Whatever anybody thought of Margolis, interviewees or editing. After watching the Quiet Riot documentary that came out with the Randy Rhoads years book I was just thinking about how much more I would have loved the full documentary spanning his career with Ozzy as well.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

alborg wrote:In regards to the documentary. Whatever anybody thought of Margolis, interviewees or editing. After watching the Quiet Riot documentary that came out with the Randy Rhoads years book I was just thinking about how much more I would have loved the full documentary spanning his career with Ozzy as well.
Yeah, that would have been great....... except Margolis wasn't going to hardly include Ozzy at all!!! Don't forget that Margolis was trying to include as little as possible about his with Ozzy. See this is the mucky red tape that surrounded the whole docu-drama project..... well, the whole RR community in general.

Margolis had a high profile falling out with Kevin DuBrow and there were some utterly disgraceful suggestions flying the rounds at that time. Stuff like they were going to dub out Kevin's vocals on certain songs and have someone else re-record them. Really nasty suggestions in my opinion.

He had another high profile falling out with Bob Daisley. I had the opportunity to speak to Bob, and I have to admit, I felt Bob was genune with his words to me.

The Osbourne's weren't on-board either, although I believe that was because they felt it was in direct competition with their boxset.

Margolis filled the documentary with irrelevant watered down reviews, in part down because of how he handled himself.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

skezza wrote:
Yeah, that would have been great....... except Margolis wasn't going to hardly include Ozzy at all!!!
Interesting take on things. What I've been told is that he was going to use all kinds of Ozzy stuff until Sharon said he couldn't.
alborg wrote:In regards to the documentary. Whatever anybody thought of Margolis, interviewees or editing. After watching the Quiet Riot documentary that came out with the Randy Rhoads years book I was just thinking about how much more I would have loved the full documentary spanning his career with Ozzy as well.
Andrew Klein and Ron Sobol did a fantastic job with that film and book. Absolutely fantastic.
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:You just about summed it up Joe and another thing i've noticed alot of people have become very lazy. Especially the younger generation...just talking to friends on chat...do you not have skype i'm sick of this typing. WTF!! and how easy is it to click LIKE. It might sound pathetic but it is a new generation of lazy fuckers who cannot be arsed to type. They'd rather watch a video then have to read a good few pages of a really good interview / album / gig review. FACT!!!
Couldn't agree more my friend!

As for this site dying, we old timers used to discuss stuff with each other in the Off Topic area almost as much as the General area. We created friendships. However, we also all have lives and have moved away from UR because life has a way of getting in the way.

Truthfully, I find myself thinking of many of you once or twice a month... Shaun, Joe, Ian, Tito, Dutch, Darin, Matt, Donnie (even Des Sherwood & Anthony from TK)... you guys pop into my head and I wonder how your lives are going. Since we aren't connected by Facebook, I don't know what's up with you, but you're still on my mind.

Remember rhoadsmaniac from RRTK? The kid who asked stupid questions and Des would rip him apart? Sometimes I wonder whatever became of that kid.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Remember rhoadsmaniac from RRTK? The kid who asked stupid questions and Des would rip him apart? Sometimes I wonder whatever became of that kid.
Sure I remember him! He never failed to wind up that 'global admin' over there! hahaha :P

Yes this board is fading. As always all good things end... Still for the real die-hard fans who wants to dig for some info, this board (and also rr.tk) are goldmines of information about Randy you won't find on the social media pages or anywhere else. So I hope Joe will keep up this board as long as possible because of that. They are still great archive sources. Yes we can create an 'ultimaterhoads' facebook page to direct people to this place but I'm afraid for most people it's too much effort to read, start and respond to topics etc. Especially younger people have so much distractions nowadays with social media, they don't have the time/patience to contribute to a message board like this as we did in the past when it wasn't common to see each day a new RR pic. There was still a lot left to be discussed and discovered then. Things were fresh and exciting. But even in the high days the communtity who contributed always have been very small. Mainly die-hard fans. But now the story of Randy Rhoads pretty much has been told. Since nothing really new happens what's the point to discuss the same things over and over again? (I'm not against it, but I understand people got tired of that, especially the die-hard fans)
The main activity left for people nowadays is to 'like' RR photos on fakebook. But one day all pics are seen and people responds to it will fade there as well. Still you don't see 'in depth' discussions there like we have here now in this topic. It would really help if some movement happens regarding Randy's legacy. It would definitely bring the fire back here a bit. There is still great audio and footage out there. Even a whole documentary which is shelved. And there is still a guitartech who never speaked in public about his days with Randy. (hope he won't take his stories with him into his grave) It's seems everything regarding Randy has always been very complicated since he passed. So pointless... people really got tired of that as well and moved on.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Finally, someone asked the question. I only check in here once every few weeks now just because of how dead it's become.
It's sad that Randy's Legacy has pretty much gone this way, but in a sense, there's only so many ways you can screw with people and keep letting them down. All this talk of what's out there and then of course the 'Red Tape' that goes with it. It's all about money to people who don't need the cash to begin with. An example of, if it were purely about the music, Bob could say his house was broken into and somehow the discs that were stolen were coincidentally leaked to the internet. I wouldn't even bother giving $haron the satisfaction of making a single cent off the grail tapes. I've completely lost all respect the O$bournes and couldn't give a shit about Ozzy's future at this point.

It's nice seeing and reading over this thread and seeing the names of the members that have contributed so much here. It'd be great if there was a backup of all the content and pages so that if there site were ever to go down then the discussions could be saved in some sense? People it seems have moved on and I'm okay with that. I hope you all still pump out Blizzard and Diary every now and then! Sorry for rambling on...
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I have no intention of taking the site down. It doesn't cost a huge amount to keep it running (a few pints of beer a month) and there's too much quality information on here, to take it down.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

skezza wrote:I have no intention of taking the site down. It doesn't cost a huge amount to keep it running (a few pints of beer a month) and there's too much quality information on here, to take it down.
....and so say all of us.... i appreciate your wisdom Joe. Don't let the bastards grind ya down.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

skezza wrote:I have no intention of taking the site down. It doesn't cost a huge amount to keep it running (a few pints of beer a month) and there's too much quality information on here, to take it down.
Thank you good sir
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

jdemar02 wrote:‎Jesse Hughes‎ to Lori Hollen

November 20 at 8:21pm ·

Hi lori! Just wanted to let you know that me and my wife are driving from Vegas to Kathy's winery for Randy's 60th. I have a gift for Kathy ,Kelle and you.it just might be some of the rarest randy footage the public has ever seen. Hope to meet you, if not, I will leave your gift with Kathy hopefully! Your friend even though we have never met.

Maybe some new stuff!
Care to explain what this is about?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Well said, Dutch... back in the day it was exciting when new stuff popped up because we had waited SO long to see anything... Remember the "FTP" thing at TK that you had to be given a special password to get into and only some people were given that?

One of the great things about this place is that things aren't intentionally hidden away for the chosen few... my issue with Facebook is the way it feels like people who happened to have the opportunity to know Randy are seen as royalty of some sort. That and there isn't the sense of community that we established here.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Well said, Dutch... back in the day it was exciting when new stuff popped up because we had waited SO long to see anything... Remember the "FTP" thing at TK that you had to be given a special password to get into and only some people were given that?

One of the great things about this place is that things aren't intentionally hidden away for the chosen few... my issue with Facebook is the way it feels like people who happened to have the opportunity to know Randy are seen as royalty of some sort. That and there isn't the sense of community that we established here.
I really don't know how Facebook works with regards to RR. Truth be told, Facebook doesn't interest me. I keep mine open to allow people to contact me, not much else. I don't follow anything on Facebook, including RR, so I can't judge.

That said, I would imagine with the benefit of hindsight, some of the more loyalist TK members would admit that they kept some decidedly unpleasant company back in the day. Forget the FTP...... remember the 'inner circle'? Only special privileged people were allowed to be a part of it. The whole reason me and Ian started this website was to remove the shackles of those who we felt were running the Rhoads community into the ground by trying to marginalize fans. TK was like a weird dictatorship at one point and I voluntarily declined to rejoin the site when they asked although I checked it out from time to time. That said, it's no surprise that TK has been dead for at least 4 years (they don't even have a domain anymore), while UR has really only truly lost it's momentum in the last 12-18 months.

I would love for this site and JakeELee.com to pick up again, but without activity I can't see it happening.... TK is finished though.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

That's awesome that you don't mind keeping this place running. I can't ever see UR ever being what it once was but I'm sure if anything new was released in regards to material, a lot of the members that lurk would come out to chat about it.

I know it's off topic but you guys are the only ones I can show that care lol. A few months ago I finally found some cheapish easy to use glass frames that I could use to frame my Jay Banbury Posters that I bought ages ago. What do you think?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Ha, nice bedroom dude. Where did you order the posters from?