Quite the dead stretch here lately...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

jdemar02

Re: Quite the dead stretch here lately...

Post by jdemar02 »

chilinvilin wrote:
jdemar02 wrote:‎Jesse Hughes‎ to Lori Hollen

November 20 at 8:21pm ·

Hi lori! Just wanted to let you know that me and my wife are driving from Vegas to Kathy's winery for Randy's 60th. I have a gift for Kathy ,Kelle and you.it just might be some of the rarest randy footage the public has ever seen. Hope to meet you, if not, I will leave your gift with Kathy hopefully! Your friend even though we have never met.

Maybe some new stuff!
Care to explain what this is about?
Sure, I was looking at pictures of Randy on facebook and clicked on a photo that Lori was in with Randy back when he was with Quiet Riot. Lori was a personal friend of Randy so I clicked on her facebook page and at the top of the page some guy wrote on her timeline what I posted. It was dated this month so hoping its true!
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

skezza wrote:Ha, nice bedroom dude. Where did you order the posters from?
I got in contact with Jay through here in 2010/11 when he had the photos he took at the January 23, 1982 concert in Madison, WI printed on high quality poster paper. There were 8 in total and I bought all 8 at the time. He did have a site where he was selling them but the domain on that seems to have been expired for quite a long time. The only other way I would think of getting in contact with him would be some way through Facebook if he was on it? Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5135
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I have Jay's e-mail address. He's a nice enough guy. That said, I doubt there's a huge financial incentive for him to sell his photos anymore. I would have thought the market has dried up, much like the information and news.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

My thoughts exactly. Just not enough interest in Randy. I'm glad I got them when I did.
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

In regards to the board being dead, I'm glad it's still here and open. I've been a loyal member since '07 and have had awesome conversation with many of you. It's still a treasure trove and major resource for all things Randy (and beyond for that matter).

I rarely post, but I still lurk and do some browsing, at least a few times a month, occasionally more. The FB pages are more sterile, but they serve a purpose as well. It's up to us, his fans, to keep the flame alive. This is a great place to send others that are curious about Randy's legacy.

I'm sure something will come out that will make the board come alive again, but all good things eventually fade into the night.
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

It just deeply saddens me that good Rhoads places are fading away. I remember making this account when I was 12 or so *cringe* and now that I'm older and about to enter art school it's crazy how much I've delved into Randy as a whole.

It seems like less of my generation is really interested in Rhoads and his life and such. I've been trying my very best to keep his memory alive with art and everything, and talking about him. I've introduced people to his legacy and music.

Even on instagram, the only Randy page that seems to not die is mine. Even "randyrhoadsofficial" already hasn't posted in months. And it very much annoys me when people don't give credit to the photographers when they post.

Randy was such and is such a huge influence on my life. I consider myself in the "ridiculous" category of fanboy/fan girl. He was so amazing. And it saddens me because I feel like he still doesn't get the recognition he deserves (but maybe i'm biased ;) )

I hope this board doesn't die. I hope a lot of places don't die. Maybe more Rhoads sites will be made in the future as well.

I hope that when I'm 50 years old I look back on all the time I've spent on Randy Rhoads and smile. I hope I remember with nostalgia all the people I've met, all the amazing things I've read about.

I feel like I could make an entire thread on this, about how Randy has caused almost all the good things in my life. All of the amazing things that have happened to me were because I was a Rhoads fan and they all had something to do with him.

He was an incredible human with great skills. And I have so much pride calling myself a die hard fan.

I guess to sum this all up is I wish there were others my age as enthusiastic for Randy. Often I'll encounter someone who's a "fan" but they don't really know anything about him other than "he's cute" or something along the lines of that. They never get to know the person or the feeling he put into his instrument, or even have enough musical knowledge to KNOW what he's done for rock and roll.

I've met some amazing people and had some incredible things happen because of this man. And I DONT want his legacy to ever fade. Even if sites come and go, I want things to stay strong. I've tried my best to do my part, and hopefully the combination of everyone's efforts can keep him living and strong for a long time.

Apart from the cheese, I have never felt so happy in the Rhoads community. The fans I've met are some of the most incredible people I've ever met, and it's the first time I've ever felt like I belonged somewhere or had a "family". Randy has inspired my art, in every way. His music was incredible and even though there was so much left he could have done, I appreciate everything he made when he was alive. He's given me the push and the inspiration for my art when no one else did, and talking about him and sharing about him with people is an honour.

This was all just babble but I think it makes sense. Kind of.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Sepheratta wrote:It just deeply saddens me that good Rhoads places are fading away. I remember making this account when I was 12 or so *cringe* and now that I'm older and about to enter art school it's crazy how much I've delved into Randy as a whole.

It seems like less of my generation is really interested in Rhoads and his life and such. I've been trying my very best to keep his memory alive with art and everything, and talking about him. I've introduced people to his legacy and music.

Even on instagram, the only Randy page that seems to not die is mine. Even "randyrhoadsofficial" already hasn't posted in months. And it very much annoys me when people don't give credit to the photographers when they post.

Randy was such and is such a huge influence on my life. I consider myself in the "ridiculous" category of fanboy/fan girl. He was so amazing. And it saddens me because I feel like he still doesn't get the recognition he deserves (but maybe i'm biased ;) )

I hope this board doesn't die. I hope a lot of places don't die. Maybe more Rhoads sites will be made in the future as well.

I hope that when I'm 50 years old I look back on all the time I've spent on Randy Rhoads and smile. I hope I remember with nostalgia all the people I've met, all the amazing things I've read about.

I feel like I could make an entire thread on this, about how Randy has caused almost all the good things in my life. All of the amazing things that have happened to me were because I was a Rhoads fan and they all had something to do with him.

He was an incredible human with great skills. And I have so much pride calling myself a die hard fan.

I guess to sum this all up is I wish there were others my age as enthusiastic for Randy. Often I'll encounter someone who's a "fan" but they don't really know anything about him other than "he's cute" or something along the lines of that. They never get to know the person or the feeling he put into his instrument, or even have enough musical knowledge to KNOW what he's done for rock and roll.

I've met some amazing people and had some incredible things happen because of this man. And I DONT want his legacy to ever fade. Even if sites come and go, I want things to stay strong. I've tried my best to do my part, and hopefully the combination of everyone's efforts can keep him living and strong for a long time.

Apart from the cheese, I have never felt so happy in the Rhoads community. The fans I've met are some of the most incredible people I've ever met, and it's the first time I've ever felt like I belonged somewhere or had a "family". Randy has inspired my art, in every way. His music was incredible and even though there was so much left he could have done, I appreciate everything he made when he was alive. He's given me the push and the inspiration for my art when no one else did, and talking about him and sharing about him with people is an honour.

This was all just babble but I think it makes sense. Kind of.
Part of the problem is right there in your post. There simply is no "randyrhoadsofficial". That, much like all of the others is a fictional piece of someone's strong imagination. People have spent years trying to self-elect their site as 'official' Randy Rhoads website/facebook/myspace etc etc, all while the family didn't want to get involved. Even RR.TK used to refer to themselves as 'Approved by the Rhoads' Family' or some utter nonsense, all because someone from TK put the family on the spot on a visit, if I remember rightly. It was a running gag amongst UR, that while they had 'Approved by the Rhoads' Family' at the top of their site, we had 'Approved by the Rhoads' Fans', right at the bottom. Simply put, neither I nor Ian ever wanted this to be an official site. I always hoped the family would appreciate our work, however I wanted this to be nothing like TK. I doubt Randy would have been happy the way TK was being run. This was an alternative.

Randy doesn't get the recognition he deserves anymore, partly because of the way his legacy has been maintained and allowed to wilt. Jimi Hendrix has had over 100 posthumous albums (including live discs, studio work, bootleg work etc), significantly more than he released while alive. Randy Rhoads has had, what? Tribute? The Blizzard of Ozz-Diary of a Madman boxset? That's basically it.

We know for a fact there's soundboard audio out there that hasn't been released. Some of it has, albeit unmixed which leaves it sounding a little nasty. We're pretty sure there's pro-shot footage out there too.

Why it's turned out this way? Who knows.
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

Skeeza, I think you've done a great job with this site. Thanks.

I periodically check in. I wish RR's legacy was handled better. I was hoping that 34 year after his death that some pro shot video would surface(I was especially hoping for the Holy Grail footage from the Capital Theatre 4-24-81 for I was there), or as you mentioned some soundboard tapes. It's a shame that Randy's legacy isn't being handled as Jimi's.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

wow, I haven't been on here for the longest time it seems.

interesting to see you guys viewpoints and I agree.
sadly, I suspected Randys legacy to wither down and fade away years ago
considering how it was handled by all parts, his family, the Osbournes, everyone.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

skezza wrote:There simply is no "randyrhoadsofficial". That, much like all of the others is a fictional piece of someone's strong imagination. People have spent years trying to self-elect their site as 'official' Randy Rhoads website/facebook/myspace etc etc, all while the family didn't want to get involved.

Remember that RR.US site that was supposed to be the true official Randy Rhoads website and was supposed to crush RR.TK and UR? haha
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

leftyaxeman wrote:Skeeza, I think you've done a great job with this site. Thanks.

I periodically check in. I wish RR's legacy was handled better. I was hoping that 34 year after his death that some pro shot video would surface(I was especially hoping for the Holy Grail footage from the Capital Theatre 4-24-81 for I was there), or as you mentioned some soundboard tapes. It's a shame that Randy's legacy isn't being handled as Jimi's.
I've had this discussion before and the general feeling at the time, was that Hendrix was/is simply more popular than Randy, therefore there is money to be made. However, while I believe there is some truth to that, I don't believe for one second it tells the whole story. Randy has a community of dedicated fans, but he also has a huge following away from UR, TK etc. He has a following on the Gibson forum, who would dip into their pockets and is widely recognized in guitar circles.

There is more to it than just the money situation for me. It's been handled appallingly, and that's all that needs to be said really.
Stiltzkin wrote:wow, I haven't been on here for the longest time it seems.

interesting to see you guys viewpoints and I agree.
sadly, I suspected Randys legacy to wither down and fade away years ago
considering how it was handled by all parts, his family, the Osbournes, everyone.
Hey man, how you been? It has been a long time since you've been on here :) ;) Hope you're well!
Cryptic Night wrote:
skezza wrote:There simply is no "randyrhoadsofficial". That, much like all of the others is a fictional piece of someone's strong imagination. People have spent years trying to self-elect their site as 'official' Randy Rhoads website/facebook/myspace etc etc, all while the family didn't want to get involved.

Remember that RR.US site that was supposed to be the true official Randy Rhoads website and was supposed to crush RR.TK and UR? haha
RR.US wasn't an official site either. Dakota pictures opened that website with the help of that lunatic Blevins and Jon Holtz from War Head Records, and they figured that as they were producing the documentary "hey, why don't we open an official site, surely we can call ourselves that now"? Pretty sure since the 50 million lawsuit involving the family and Dakota pictures, that doesn't really apply anymore. It's as dead as a doornail as well. Nobody has used it for several years.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

When I wear my Randy shirt I get a lot of who's that? I begin to explain about QR and then Ozzy. After I mention Oz that's when the whole "he bit the head off of...." Next they think Randy ODed.

Nobody really seems to care but his loyal fans.

I kinda figured this sight would survive. I was a member of .tk and .us Too much weird BS going on.

Glad to be here and glad this sight has devoted web masters. So yea, Thank You!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

skezza wrote: Hey man, how you been? It has been a long time since you've been on here :) ;) Hope you're well!
hey. yeah, all is good here in the cold north :)
work alot and have checked in from time to time in short bursts :)
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

skezza wrote:we had 'Approved by the Rhoads' Fans', right at the bottom. Simply put, neither I nor Ian ever wanted this to be an official site.
This is exactly what I like best about this place! From the very beginning Joe & Ian started this place for only one reason: having a nice place for fans to discuss things they wanted to know about RR. The fans are (& were) always NUMBER ONE here. However this wasn't always understood by celebrities trying to use this board for their own agenda. Especially in the early days when this board started this wasn't easy to achieve.... I'm glad we never gave in! 8)

& good to see this place getting back a little momentum recently! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
skezza wrote:we had 'Approved by the Rhoads' Fans', right at the bottom. Simply put, neither I nor Ian ever wanted this to be an official site.
This is exactly what I like best about this place! From the very beginning Joe & Ian started this place for only one reason: having a nice place for fans to discuss things they wanted to know about RR. The fans are (& were) always NUMBER ONE here. However this wasn't always understood by celebrities trying to use this board for their own agenda. Especially in the early days when this board started this wasn't easy to achieve.... I'm glad we never gave in! 8)

& good to see this place getting back a little momentum recently! 8)
Yeah very much like the guys who come here and collect info then make their own site. With no kudos of where the info comes from. Then you have people like Rudy Sarzo who came here briefly to promote his book...the revolving door types in and out. Kelli Garni was another one... Some are cool for sharing info, photos etc. But others are just interested in promoting what they have for sale. If it wasn't for some people here this place would of went tits up a long time ago. Thanks to them this place is still happening.