Ozzy and Jacks World Detour Southampton/Crazy Train Masters

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Re: Ozzy and Jacks World Detour Southampton/Crazy Train Mas

Post by axeman_12656 »

Geo Sav wrote:I will have to check that out. What channel is the show on?
It comes on the History Channel
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thats what i think it meant.24 track console was used for the recording.
Matlike1

Post by Matlike1 »

Not sure if it's been posted but here is the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpMZJVKyzm0
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Matlike1 wrote:Not sure if it's been posted but here is the clip.

Thanks dude, pretty cool to see. Thankfully Jack poked Ozzy enough to get him to play it. Definitely shows the polar positions in Ozzy and fans. For us it's about hearing this incredible guitarist and for Ozzy it's reliving that era with incredible tragedy.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

orion_damage wrote:
Matlike1 wrote:Not sure if it's been posted but here is the clip.

Thanks dude, pretty cool to see. Thankfully Jack poked Ozzy enough to get him to play it. Definitely shows the polar positions in Ozzy and fans. For us it's about hearing this incredible guitarist and for Ozzy it's reliving that era with incredible tragedy.

I think that is what people forget. Him and Sharon were with this guy everyday for almost 2 years, they do not really care about whats recorded, they lived it. They have released a few pieces of Randy material and really thats enough for them, the sales are just not there for them to keep doing it for those two same albums over and over. The really only thing that would be huge would be a pro audio Diary concert with Randy, but Ozzy's voice was seemingly shot after the Chicago show it sounds like, so unless they have something from those first two 3 weeks then its a no go. Listening to the ET, Two on the town footage is exactly what I am talking about, we need audio like that.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Nick wrote:Was I the only person that noticed that the master tape for south Hampton said 24 Tracks

24 songs were recorded live?
:?
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Nick wrote:Was I the only person that noticed that the master tape for south Hampton said 24 Tracks

24 songs were recorded live?
I guess it was recorded with a 24 tracks recorder. :)
No, not 24 tracks as-in 24 songs; 24 track as-in the number of tracks used to record the source audio (i.e bass on one track, guitar on one track, drums probably on 6 tracks etc). This is a 24 track "Multi-track" recording. And all these years I thought this show was a 2-track recording (direct from the mixing board onto tape).
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Amazing stuff.

I love the pick scrape into the Crazy Train solo. I heard that on the isolated tracks and 2002 version. Someone here once said they hear it on the original album version, but I swear I don't hear it even the faintest bit except on the 2002 version. Does anyone hear it on the original?

I noticed a small tape box (1/4" tape?) on top of everything in one of the shots but couldn't make it out.

Also noticed in the room that there are 3 tape boxes with what look like Mobile One labels. I wonder if they are all Southampton or different shows.

Wow, what a treasure trove.

Remember how they showed the Blizzard tape box on the 30th Anniversary DVD? It showed You Looking At Me Looking At You on Side B after Mr Crowley there which is strange because Bob said that the song never made it to the point where it was on the album. He said it was intended for it, but never on the actual mastered album. It makes me wonder which mix was actually going to be on the album. The cowbell version made the bonus track, but I still think the 7" version was the one meant for the album because the mix sounds other tracks. The cowbell mix doesn't sound like the mix of other tracks. I think it was remixed that way for the Japan releases in 1984/1985 (Prince of Darkness and The Other Side Of Ozzy Osbourne) but that's a guess. I much prefer the mix on the 7" and wonder why that didn't get used as the 2011 bonus. Maybe it actually wasn't the mix made for the album?

Jack seemed to have a great appreciation of Randy and hearing the tapes, which was really cool to see. I hope that one day he can help put out more stuff we haven't heard like the unmixed Crazy Train with all of those extra bits.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah that's the annoying side of seeing this clip, it's nothing we'll ever hear. That Southampton show nearly came out with the anniversary Blizzard / Diary box set. But for legal wrangles involving royalties and other band members putting it on hold. Well it's just like anything we see with a RR tag on it. It always gets shelved or put through the courts until someone gives it the ok for it to be seen by the buying public. I honestly don't see the O's having anything to put out without involving Bob's Grail tapes or the Southampton live audio. But with the on-going proceedings with Bob's royalties on what the O's owe him. I honestly cannot see them wanting any connection with those tapes or anything with his surname tagged to it. Before people go throwing me the Bob doesn't need the O's permission to release them. Well if that is the case what is the hold up on them being released ?.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

As great as it is hearing these new snippets Of Randy its also unbeleivably frustrating knowing that there is loads of stuff out there that we have'nt heard. I'm not saying anything we havent said before but its friggin madness, there is still a market out there for Randy but there wont be forever. In years to come, long after Ozzy, Sharon and Bob have bit the dust it'll probably see the light of day, but how many of us lot are gonna be around to buy it.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

SanDimasCharvel wrote:Amazing stuff.

I love the pick scrape into the Crazy Train solo. I heard that on the isolated tracks and 2002 version. Someone here once said they hear it on the original album version, but I swear I don't hear it even the faintest bit except on the 2002 version. Does anyone hear it on the original?

I noticed a small tape box (1/4" tape?) on top of everything in one of the shots but couldn't make it out.

Also noticed in the room that there are 3 tape boxes with what look like Mobile One labels. I wonder if they are all Southampton or different shows.

Wow, what a treasure trove.

Remember how they showed the Blizzard tape box on the 30th Anniversary DVD? It showed You Looking At Me Looking At You on Side B after Mr Crowley there which is strange because Bob said that the song never made it to the point where it was on the album. He said it was intended for it, but never on the actual mastered album. It makes me wonder which mix was actually going to be on the album. The cowbell version made the bonus track, but I still think the 7" version was the one meant for the album because the mix sounds other tracks. The cowbell mix doesn't sound like the mix of other tracks. I think it was remixed that way for the Japan releases in 1984/1985 (Prince of Darkness and The Other Side Of Ozzy Osbourne) but that's a guess. I much prefer the mix on the 7" and wonder why that didn't get used as the 2011 bonus. Maybe it actually wasn't the mix made for the album?

Jack seemed to have a great appreciation of Randy and hearing the tapes, which was really cool to see. I hope that one day he can help put out more stuff we haven't heard like the unmixed Crazy Train with all of those extra bits.
I think the pick scrape is on the original, but I think it's multi tracked in. You have to listen really carefully.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I would of rather of heard a track from the Southampton live gig. How did we end up hearing a track from the album or am i missing some thing here. I noticed Max Norman's name was wrote on the box lid as engineer.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I would of rather of heard a track from the Southampton live gig. How did we end up hearing a track from the album or am i missing some thing here. I noticed Max Norman's name was wrote on the box lid as engineer.
Yeah listening to the Southampton gig would have been nice. Maybe it was a royalties thing again?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I found it weird how this Live Southampton album has been hushed up and never discussed in interviews by any of the band members from the 1980 line up. You ask the likes of Ozzy do you have any Live material in vaults or archives be it audio or video. NO has always been the answer. Then this place he visits has a Live album Ozzy fans would love to hear. He goes on like he doesn't know how it got there and the guy is even pointing at the box lid lid SOUTHAMPTON. Ozzy being oblivious that this live show was ever recorded. So you forgot it nearly came out on the 30th anniversary box set. Call it a coincidence but is this not a scam to see how the public are receiving this information ??. Is this not being done to see if its worth while putting this out ?. You do a an internet search on Ozzy Southampton 1980 in a few weeks time and see what it brings back.
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote: Ozzy being oblivious that this live show was ever recorded.
Well, he did mention it was recorded on a mobile truck. I think it's weirder that they bring out the Southampton box, but play something from the Blizzard tape.