35th Anniversary Thoughts?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

35th Anniversary Thoughts?

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Hey guys, it's been a while since anyone has gotten a good topic going here so I figured I'd give it a shot. As many of us know, March 19, 2017 marks 35 years. My thoughts are, if something "nice" is ever going to be done for Randy and his fans, this is the year. 5 more years is just too long at this point and Ozzy isn't getting any younger. What do you guys think? Something cool? Or same as always? I spoke with someone a while back on here who believed that if it exists (I think it does), the Capitol Theatre show will be released. Also, footage I know for a FACT exists is the "party footage" owned by Bill Shelley Archives. I spoke with Bill via email a few years back to which he confirmed the existence and confirmed it to be professional quality. It is NOT Don Arden's birthday party, as the band did not perform. Whatever party this was, the band played. He doesn't know the history of the film or who filmed it. He bought a bunch of film in 85 and that happened to be in there. Says $haron knows and as of a few years ago he was essentially sworn to silence on it as far as plans for release or showing. I don't believe Bill would lie, he's a reputable archivist. My biggest hope, although heavily unlikely is Day on the Green. I spoke with someone involved in the Dakota doc who said he thought it was filmed and that Bill Graham would have it if it was real. Phoenix Bros? What do ya think?

Possibilities:
- Capitol Theater
- Day on the Green
- Entertainment Tonight (2 on town and rock report reels were destroyed :( )
- Phoenix Bros
- Birthday Footage
- Even a concert we don't know about...?
- Unfaded Tonight and YCKRR
- Whole Southampton Show
- Daisley's Tapes

I'd be happy with ONE of those.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
alborg
Cool Member

Re: 35th Anniversary Thoughts?

Post by alborg »

I really hope Daisley's Tapes are released soon. We've all heard snippets so we know they exist.
In my lifetime would be nice...
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Just curious, what's the track record with something actually being released around Randy's passing?
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

It seems like at least once a year for the last 10 years something new comes out. No matter how small it is, it still new stuff. Boggles my mind people just sit on stuf like this.

Party footage I never heard of I don't think, other than the other birthday one. Stuff like that I like the best. That's why no matter what, no matter what ever comes out after hours will still be the best video footage. Your favorite band jamming in a room? Doesn't get better than that.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'd say that if any footage were released it would be due to Jack Osbourne... Jack is the brains behind the History Channel show and he made a point of bringing Randy into that. Could that have been a test to see what kind of reaction still exists for the Ozzy/Randy years?

As for Bob's tapes, that's what I'd rather hear but I just don't know that it'll ever happen with all the threats legal action that loom over this subject.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I'd say that if any footage were released it would be due to Jack Osbourne... Jack is the brains behind the History Channel show and he made a point of bringing Randy into that. Could that have been a test to see what kind of reaction still exists for the Ozzy/Randy years?

As for Bob's tapes, that's what I'd rather hear but I just don't know that it'll ever happen with all the threats legal action that loom over this subject.
I don't think Bob's afraid of any threats of legal action at this point as proven by the number of times he's stood up for himself. I think he'd well be within his rights to have the tapes released anyway or sell them off to have another entity release them. Hopefully someday soon.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Being realistic, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing else came out. If we ever got a pro shot Diary show I'd be content at that point. Until something comes out though everyone is just selling wolf tickets.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

The last thing I remember coming out is the random, silent show from 2-19-82 that I came across on vimeo and shared on here. This band had reputable people in it and the singer just came out of Black Sabbath. Things were done professionally for them. I do not buy that nothing was ever filmed and no one thought to. There is pro film of bands from the 60s that no one has heard of anymore... There is footage out there and if it is to ever see the light of day, I cannot imagine it will be much longer. Now of course it is my opinion that pro film exists but I challenge anyone to line out a concrete theory as to why there would be zero footage of anything in existence. It'd be easy to tell me why it won't ever come out but that it doesn't exist? Nah. And my thought is that if it exists there is money in it, money makes for a release in my opinion. Question is, how much money is really in it? Depends on what material exists. A pro film, pro sound film in color with multiple cameras of a Diary show would be a cash cow.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

as far as Bob's tapes, he has made it pretty clear that he has interest in sharing them. So... Time will tell
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

I hope the Capital Theatre video is released. I was 5th row for that show and it was a helluva guitar lesson for me. One of the best concerts I've ever witnessed and would love to relive it!

I had contacted someone affiliated with the the Capital Theatre and asked about the existence of the footage and the reply was one word: unreleased. I tried to get more info but they became unresponsive, but I'm still hoping it will resurface before I die!!