Southampton Question?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Southampton Question?

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I am sorry if these questions have been asked/answered already. Why is there only like 3 songs from that show available? where are the rest? also it mentions in the book that the family sued over that Max Norman was watching the show from a monitor in a van. Does that mean it was video taped or it was just live feed that was never recorded? Randy era of Ozzy's career is so hazy, there is no solid info out there it drives me crazy at times. Anyways, if anyone has an answer to all or any of those questions please respond.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Southampton Question?

Post by Cryptic Night »

No idea about Max Norman, as I've never read the book. However I would guess it was just a live feed.

As for the South Hampton show, the full show was recorded I believe, but you've only heard snippets of it because Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake play on it. The Osbournes won't release the full show because they can be sued over performance royalties and whatnot.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah i have queried that part of the book but according to the author that's what Max has said. This would of been common knowledge to anyone at this gig and people in the crowd would of seen cameras shooting the film. Just like the attached photo from 1978 when the Black Sabbath video was shot from the Hammersmith odeon. You can see a cameraman on stage.
Plus i'm sure Randy would of mentioned this in his letters home and Bob Daisley would of made a note of this in his diary. The whole concert (just audio) nearly came out with the Ozzy Blizzard / Madman 30th Anniversary box set. But over legal wrangles with old band members etc it got pulled.
Attachments
Black Sabbath 1978 cameraman.jpg
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

We've heard "Mr. Crowley" and " Suicide Solution" from the Southampton show released on the "Mr. Crowley Live" EP, along with "You Said it All" recorded during sound check with crowd noise added in later. Then we heard "Goodbye to Romance" and "No Bone Movies" from it on the "Tribute" album. And yes, we were slated to finally get the entire show in the 30th anniversary box set, but Sharon pulled it when she couldn't wrangle Bob Daisley's "Holy Grail" (recorded songwriting and practice session) tapes from him for a buyout to be included in both BOO & DOAM re-release.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

That definitely clears things up for me and makes sense noting the people involved... So much stuff out there that we're missing out on. Oh well maybe someday...
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

I think there is 5 tracks total (thus far). Mr.Crowley EP - Mr.Crowley,Suicide Solution. Tribute - Goodbye To Romance,Steal Away (The Night) and I remember way back I Don't Know being a flip side bonus track during early /81 (and it wasn't from the King Biscuit Cleveland show).
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

P C M wrote:I think there is 5 tracks total (thus far). Mr.Crowley EP - Mr.Crowley,Suicide Solution. Tribute - Goodbye To Romance,Steal Away (The Night) and I remember way back I Don't Know being a flip side bonus track during early /81 (and it wasn't from the King Biscuit Cleveland show).
Haven't ever heard anything about I Don't Know being on a flip side. that's cool
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

"I Don't Know Live" was a B-side to the Flying High Again single that was released in '81 and it was the unedited version from the Cleveland Music Hall / King Biscuit Live Show from May, 1981, which is found on the Tribute album - except Ozzy re-recorded his vocals for the album release. Do an A-B of them...same song and backing music, just different vocals.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

No1UNo wrote:"I Don't Know Live" was a B-side to the Flying High Again single that was released in '81 and it was the unedited version from the Cleveland Music Hall / King Biscuit Live Show from May, 1981, which is found on the Tribute album - except Ozzy re-recorded his vocals for the album release. Do an A-B of them...same song and backing music, just different vocals.
Never knew that! I thought the King Biscuit show was Montreal, not Cleveland?
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:
No1UNo wrote:"I Don't Know Live" was a B-side to the Flying High Again single that was released in '81 and it was the unedited version from the Cleveland Music Hall / King Biscuit Live Show from May, 1981, which is found on the Tribute album - except Ozzy re-recorded his vocals for the album release. Do an A-B of them...same song and backing music, just different vocals.
Never knew that! I thought the King Biscuit show was Montreal, not Cleveland?
King biscuit was a radio broadcast/soundboard and it was in Montreal Canada
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Here's a weird thing.....I remember hearing a version of I Don't Know on some soundtrack back in early /81 and it wasn't King Biscuit/Montreal or Cleveland. I can't for the life of me remember the album title. All I know it was a rock n' roll album. :shock:
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Nick - you are correct. Mixing my shows up. King Biscuit was 7.28.81 at St. Denis Theater in Montreal, Canada. I should know, since this concert was listed as 7.31.81 for the longest time until I found the newspaper announcement stating it was being moved to the earlier date. Obviously, Ozzy and the band needed time to fly across the Atlantic and perform at the Heavy Metal Holocaust at Port Vale on 8.1.81.

But, The "I Don't Know Live" B-Side to Flying High Again was the unedited version from the Cleveland Music Hall show, just to set that straight.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Wasn't Southampton released as part of the boxset?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

skezza wrote:Wasn't Southampton released as part of the boxset?
Joe how long have you been away are you going to get with the programme FFS your well out of the loop ;-) How are you doing ? long time no see...
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
skezza wrote:Wasn't Southampton released as part of the boxset?
Joe how long have you been away are you going to get with the programme FFS your well out of the loop ;-) How are you doing ? long time no see...
I'm good thanks, and yourself?