History of Jackson and the RR guitars

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shawn
Cool Member

History of Jackson and the RR guitars

Post by shawn »

Has everyone seen this? I had not until today. Interesting, apparently Randy hated the RR1.
devorerd
Cool Member

Re: History of Jackson and the RR guitars

Post by devorerd »

I highly doubt he "hated" it...The second Jackson, i.e refined version was just easier access to the upper register. If he hated it so much, he would have been using the black axe on "Over the mountain, Believer, Flying High", etc...Sure he had started to incorporate the black one into the set, but I really think that is overstated. The Concorde has a very unique sound, I describe it as cleanly distorted, I have one..great, fun guitar with a unique tonality.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Haven't read that link yet but I also read w couple times over the years that Randy did not really like the black Jackson. Even though the the upper frets were more accessible he did not like the neck as it was to thin. The white Jackson had a neck more like a Gibson R8 apparently. That's a huge difference in guitars and I could see why he might not have liked it.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

TAB wrote:In many of Grover's interviews, Randy told him that the 1st Pinstripe after receiving it in England while working on Diary , people called it a flying V and associated with that. That's what he didn't like about it.
That´s what I always heard as well, he wanted a more 'radical' design because of that. But never heard in interviews if he really liked the Black Jackson? Of course he only played it for 2,5 months and was probably still getting used to it.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.