Ozzy Speaks On Randy And The Tribute Album (1987)....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CROWLEY

Ozzy Speaks On Randy And The Tribute Album (1987)....

Post by CROWLEY »

The following is from a interview with Ozzy and he speaks about Randy and the release of the Tribute album.This article is from the Guitar World June 1987 issue.Enjoy

Ozzy Osbourne--"I wouldn't put this live album out for the longest time.I wanted to hold on to the material.It was locked away in a vault.I didn't want to hear it, I didn't even want to know about it.You know, there are alot of bootlegs around, tapes made by kids who go to a concert with a tape recorder tucked away in their socks.Usually, the sound is awful, you can't make out a thing.We weren't in much for recording live shows back then anyway. No great reason why really, we just weren't.

But this record is a official recording, it's actually the only official live recordingof us live with Randy.That's why it's so special.And that's why it's so marvelous.Wedid that live record, Speak Of The Devil, but that ws Sabbath stuff.I did that one for alot of reasons, people wanted a live record, all that stuff, but I was dead set that nobody would touch Randy's stuff live on a record.I just couldn't bare to do that.

So, for many years, I guess, I had the tape tucked away in a vault.It was record in 1981, in canada somewhere- we really aren't sure of the date and the place, but we're pretty sure of that much really (* note* for Tribute album facts check the Tribute 101 thread).But like I said, I just couldn't put it out.I wasn't sure of a reason, other than a tribute.Then Randy's mom, a great lady, who we're really close to, approved the whole thing.So the time seemed right to put it out.

The thing is, and I sincerely hope that people will realize this, I'm not cashing in on Randy.You know, I might be many things, but that's not the way I am.I loved Randy.I loved him like a brother.So in no way could I do a thing like that.So, after the thought process and all, we had to locate the tape, right?.Well, we put it on , unsure of what we'd be getting, and we just couldn't believe our ears.The thing is, there are so few recordings of Randy, and this is the only good - quality live recording of him, and we went so many years without hearing it, hearing the quality of his playing.

We were devastated. You know, the tape was on for only like a minute
or
so and all I could say was, my god! it's that good. Any initial fears or worries about putting the record out were put to rest fast.People just had to hear it, hear Randy play, that's all I could think.

Live, Randy would come into his own.I don't know if he ever was entirely comfortable in a recording studio- we had to work pretty fast at the time.But on stage, that's where Randy was supposed to be.He could play things entirely different, like you never heard them, and they'd be great, and the next night it would be even better.He was that good.The whole thing feels like an era in my life, and you know, I'll never get it back again.When I left Sabbath, I was in bad shape, and I thought it was all over.It was a terrible situation.And then I met Randy.It's difficult top be in the music business, to be a singer and not be able to play an instrument.You know, when I write a song I can hum it or sing it, but I have to be able to get my idea's across to someone.Randy would just take an idea and run with itand make it so fantastic.When he came up with the parts to "I Don't Know", well, I just couldn't believe it.It was like somebody was finally playing guitar in a way that you always knew it could be played.

He was an exceptional musician, a dedicated guitarist, but he was always fun to be around.He just made everyday a pleasure.He was always a gentlemen, but very funny.That could fool people, because he could be so shy, but then they'd hear him play, and he'd blow them off the face of the earth.If he were still here with us he'd be at the forefront of what people are playing.He'd be the leader.

Shortley before his death he got heavily into classical guitar.He was so obsessed with practicing and becoming better., it was incredible.He could read the stuff real well, and he'd study on the road when ever he could.The material he was studying and writing was so intricate, so complicated, that nobody else could understand it.He was advancing that quickly.I think of what he'd be capable of if he were still around, and I just know that it's miles away from anybody else.

There are so many things baout his death that are unfair.I was very angry about it after it happened.For about two years I just had this rage about me.I was mad at anyone and everyone.Randy wasn't a crazy person, he wasn't any of those things, he was just a young musician with this incredible talent.That's what's so unfair.He was just plucked away from us before he could relize his full potential.I just look around at what's going on in music now, and there's so much he'd love, he'd go out of his mind with cd's, you know.

The thing about Randy the bottom line truth of it is that he was my dear friend, and not a day goes by when I don't think of him.He made everything new again, he made things fun again, and I miss him alot.He gave me so much, he gave everybody so much, and he didn't get a chance to see it all come back top him.He did not reap what he sowed".
[img]http://home.flash.net/~ulknatme/flyingvees.jpg[/img]
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Thanks Crowley, great interview :)
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i'm amazed that he could be so lucid after reading rudys account of life on the road.