What RR Jackson was made first ...?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

What RR Jackson was made first ...?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I seen this and thought this cannot be right..click on the link and scroll down to the picture on the right and read the paragraph.It must be embarrissing for Jackson to cock this up ... :oops:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0020678305
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I've got the magazine which that is from, it's good.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ell wrote:I've got the magazine which that is from, it's good.
Hi Ell, Is this not the Jacksons Guitar catalogue from 2005 ???
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

It sure is. The page numbers are still in the corners on those pictures.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

SHAME ON THEM!!!! I could be wrong but, what I see is a marketing ploy for the person that doesn't know any better. Goes something this...."Dude you mean I can buy the same guitar that Randy Rhoads FIRST made!!! AWESOME!!!" Just their way of selling some "shark fin" inlayed machines. My .o2.
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

BIG_P wrote:SHAME ON THEM!!!! I could be wrong but, what I see is a marketing ploy for the person that doesn't know any better. Goes something this...."Dude you mean I can buy the same guitar that Randy Rhoads FIRST made!!! AWESOME!!!" Just their way of selling some "shark fin" inlayed machines. My .o2.
I didn't look at it that way,but i can see what you are saying.If i had the job of putting the catalogue together i would of made sure that my facts were correct and i would of retold the history of the first RR Jackson as it was!.The guy (Tom Wilson) who made the guitar still works for Jackson.I noticed in this years catalogue they haven't made the same mistake it reads "A White, Black & Gold".It could be a marketing tool to sell more Black RR Jacksons as i could imagine the White RR to be more popular.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:The guy (Tom Wilson) who made the guitar still works for Jackson.
I thought Mike Shannon built it ...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Stiltzkin wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:The guy (Tom Wilson) who made the guitar still works for Jackson.
I thought Mike Shannon built it ...
Tom Wilson was the guy who originaly cut the shape of the guitar out from the rough drawing that Randy had.I don't think it was put together by one person it would of been tooled into shape then painted laquered etc electrics you get the picture..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Stiltzkin wrote:I thought Mike Shannon built it ...
It mentions Mike Shannon in the 2006 catalogue.
"A second,more refined version of the Concorde,built by Mike Shannon,who is now our senior master builder,was delivered to Randy just before his death in March 1982.It was this version of the guitar that we renamed the Jackson Randy Rhoads,forever pairing Jackson and metal in the annals of rock guitar lore."
So it sounds like Mike was involved in the making of the Black Jackson.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I believe they are referring to the guitar Randy and Jackson were considering as a production model, NOT the first Jackson that was built for him. I say this because of the mention of the name "Concorde" in the article.

When the white one was made, it was Randy going to Grover and wanting a special guitar made, that's why it says "Jackson" on the headstock, because the company name was "Charvel". The white one was built and Grover talked to Randy about making a production model. Randy made some design changes (the sharkfins and the more pronounced cuts) and Grover's team went to work on the guitar.

Generally, when a production model is to be made, a couple of prototypes are made. Then Randy would have to sign off on the design and details and then it could go into production.

Of course Randy didn't live long enough to see the second prototype and it took a few years before production began.

So I see this catalogue article as discussing the original "production" version of th the RR model. It mentions the black and white paint scheme because Jackson started releasing guitars with that paint job (with a pickgaurd and sharkfins not on Randy's black and white guitar). I don't think they made a mistake nor do I think they were trying to deceive anyone.