Catapult throwing meat into audience.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Yeah, I thought the same Trigger. I thought they only used it early '82 when Ozzy did the meat throwing thing, suprised to see a photo from late '82 at Wembley, but now I come to think of it I'm begining to remember a revue of the Wembley show which mentions something about a hand carrying Ozzy, but I'd forgot all about it. I'll see if I can find it.
rokket
Madman

Bring back the old days...

Post by rokket »

No one does this kind of thing on stage anymore..shame....great fun.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Pretty wild stuff. There has to be more pic's of this stuff.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

P C M wrote:Pretty wild stuff. There has to be more pic's of this stuff.
You would think that!! with this meat catapult you would of seen alot more photos in the music press of this, especially with it being a major part of the stage performance..This makes me think that this probably only happened at a few gigs.Hurling lumps of frozen meat into the crowd is a sure way for a compensation claim...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Bring back the old days...

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

rokket wrote:No one does this kind of thing on stage anymore..shame....great fun.
I've noticed more and more bands are basically dropping all the theatricals and sticking to playing the music.I cannot remember seeing a band with a few pyrotechnics i think the only band who impress with such a show these days is Rammstein.but they wouldn't be Rammstein without the visuals.The same with Kiss..i think this must be down to the risk of fire and the venues insurence at one time every rock band that went on a stage had a few flash bombs and gerbs..Sparkley fizzing fireworks that is... :wink:
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

The more smoke and fire bombs going off the better. Its all about the music but a great stage show is an excellent addition. Just look at Rammstein, fire bombs galore, burn the place to ground for all I care, keeps me in a job after all.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

music is cyclical... when Alice Cooper & KISS started doing their thing, people had been complaining about the bands "just playing music" for years. The visuals slowly got more extravagant over time, from the Beatles to Hendrix to the New York Dolls to Alice and KISS. Then in the 80's it took flight with bands like Maiden going over the top. Then bands like Motley decided to tone down and let the music do the talking, Metallica followed suit and the whole "Seattle" thing... sooner or later the theatrics will come around again. It's already happening with weird bands like the Dresden Dolls. It'll grow slowly, explode and then the next Twisted Sister will turn it into a cartoon and it'll die out again... it's cyclical.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

this is true. bowie was the antidote to crosby, stills and nash in their flannel shirts and torn jeans on-stage.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Fozzy41 wrote:The more smoke and fire bombs going off the better. Its all about the music but a great stage show is an excellent addition. Just look at Rammstein, fire bombs galore, burn the place to ground for all I care, keeps me in a job after all.
I like the attitude Gaz BURN BABY bring the fire brigade LOL! :lol: have you seen Rammstein what an act i was turned and tuned into an instant fan when i went to see them LIVE... awesome
Madman56
Cool Member

Post by Madman56 »

I have an issue of Circus that had a pic of Ozzy in the hand, I'll try digging it up for the month/year of the issue if anybody's interested.
Rob200
Cool Member

Post by Rob200 »

Rob200 wrote:Here is the photo I scanned for yall

You mean this one?
"..After a week still I didn't believe it. You know I'm really proud and honored, and..I don't want to stop hear you know.."
Randy Rhoads @ the MTV Best New Talent Award
Madman56
Cool Member

Post by Madman56 »

I don't believe that's the same one I was thinking of, but it's been a while and my mind's not what it used to be so..... :? Is that pic from Circus?
roderick

Post by roderick »

I attended the first concert of the tour in San Francisco at the Cow Palace (described in Rudy's book). There was not catapult hurling meat but I remember the hand coming out at the encore and malfunctioning. The stairs to the drum riser raised up and the hand was sitting under there but it didn't move and a confused and pissed Ozzy climbed out around the hand.
I was under the impression the catapult was seldom used although I've heard all the stories described here.

My first post here. I also post to rrtk but I like this board, too.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

roderick wrote:I attended the first concert of the tour in San Francisco at the Cow Palace (described in Rudy's book). There was not catapult hurling meat but I remember the hand coming out at the encore and malfunctioning. The stairs to the drum riser raised up and the hand was sitting under there but it didn't move and a confused and pissed Ozzy climbed out around the hand.
I was under the impression the catapult was seldom used although I've heard all the stories described here.

My first post here. I also post to rrtk but I like this board, too.
what was the first night of the North American 'Diary' tour like? the Euro 'Diary' shows in Dec 1981 were nothing like what came later.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
roderick

Post by roderick »

Rudy's book gives the backstage version of that show. It was my 2nd concert and I remember all these old Sabbath burn outs there. The parking lot was crazy before the concert with heavy partying and nutty people. People were throwing molotov cocktails in the parking lot and there were rumors someone was accidentally burned to death (never been able to verify). There was a lot of anticipation because they played the Day on the Green in July, Diary had come out and people were buzzing about Randy.

Starfighters opened up, Angus and Malcom's little brother. They got ripped by the crowd with coins being thrown hard at the lead singer after only a song or two.

I was up front but dying from the heat and sweat. By coincidence, I was towards Randy's side. I wasn't a big fan, really liked the albums but had the impression he was some blond, SoCal poser.

The intro music started playing and the crowd toward the front got squeezed with people pushing for the front. I was having trouble seeing everything but vaguely remember an odd start where Ozzy just sort of came out from the top of the stairs, a little confused.

But with Randy, wow, I was blown away almost immediately. His guitar sound was huge. I remember that sound bouncing off the walls of the cavernous Cow Palace. And he put on a hell of a show. I was able to stay up front for the first five songs but then had to leave because I was getting crushed.

I remember the midget coming out and Randy chasing him with the stock of his guitar, poking him in the butt. I remember the midget also hanging from the castle scene at some point in the concert. I described the end of the concert which was sort of chaos with the stage steps lifting up to reveal a hand that just sat there. This was for the encore. Ozzy emerged from there looking confused (again) and then I think the band left without an encore and the lights came on. People were pissed. A large mass of people stayed for a bit, maybe wondering if they'd come out again or maybe wanting to break shit because they were pissed.

I was a huge Randy fan after that concert. It was only a few months later that he died. I remembered hearing during recess at high school. Someone had a transistor radio and we listened until the news mentioned it so I could be sure. I was really upset. I remember when the Guitar Player tribute issue came out. I bought it and took it home and sat in my room reading through all of it. Since that time, I've always been looking for a good book or biography that properly captured his life so I'm hopeful the upcoming movie will do that. Of course it's so many years later and I'm kind of old but I always kept up my appreciation of his music and life.
Attachments
ozzy_tick_stub_sm.jpg