Bob Daisley's grail stuff.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rokket
Madman

Re: Bob Daisley's grail stuff.

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:If Ozzy ignored Sharon, we wouldn't be talking about him, or Rhoads today. She rescued him from the brink. Period.
Other record companies passed on Blizzard Of Ozz - including Warner Brothers. Lots of business strings were pulled to get the Blizzard up and running.

Love her or hate her, on the business side, she did make Ozzy happen. No one else was even interested.

Are any albums flying off the shelves these days? Bark At The Moon came out in 1983...
It could be argued that Sharon's father is the reason we talk about Ozzy and Randy today.............if he had said "no" to Sharon at every step concerning Ozzy, what then? She wasn't exactly a record company mogul or a manager at that point, and had no money to back Ozzy.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Good points rockket.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the Bob and Lee line up was the best. It was also the coolest. Bob is WAY cooler than Rudy. Better bassist, better writer, and even a better live performer in my opinion. Lee was WAY cooler than Tommy. Lee was a dirt bag who really pounded the drums like a cave man. Plus, he had the beard too. He was awesome. Randy was this little feminie amazing guitarist. Perfect! And Ozzy, with his mutton chops, peace symbol hands, and tassled shirts was the KING of metal vocalists. All 4 of those guys sweaty and giving a bow to the audience at the end of a show. It was magical. It was sincere. It was real.

I love DOAMM, but honestly, I think the whole castle, hanging Ronnie, throwing meat, ect was totally LAME.

Give me a REAL blood, sweat, and tears Rock and Roll performance. That was them in 1980 in the U.K. It all went downhill from there.

I'll even go so far as to say I wasn't a huge fan of the Jackson Concorde on Randy. I loved the Les Paul and PDV.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Good points rockket.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the Bob and Lee line up was the best. It was also the coolest. Bob is WAY cooler than Rudy. Better bassist, better writer, and even a better live performer in my opinion. Lee was WAY cooler than Tommy. Lee was a dirt bag who really pounded the drums like a cave man. Plus, he had the beard too. He was awesome. Randy was this little feminie amazing guitarist. Perfect! And Ozzy, with his mutton chops, peace symbol hands, and tassled shirts was the KING of metal vocalists. All 4 of those guys sweaty and giving a bow to the audience at the end of a show. It was magical. It was sincere. It was real.

I love DOAMM, but honestly, I think the whole castle, hanging Ronnie, throwing meat, ect was totally LAME.

Give me a REAL blood, sweat, and tears Rock and Roll performance. That was them in 1980 in the U.K. It all went downhill from there.

I'll even go so far as to say I wasn't a huge fan of the Jackson Concorde on Randy. I loved the Les Paul and PDV.
I think Tommy is a great drummer, and Rudy is a solid bassist, they worked really well with Ozzy and Randy. But my point is, unless Ozzy didn't have a decent drummer and bassist to start with, why even get them in the band in the first place.......I wonder if when Sharon fired Bob and Lee, Randy suggested Rudy, so he would ......A- have a friend in the band ......and ...B- someone to help him voice his opinions concerning the band....
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Sharon had to buy Ozzy's contract off her father. Speak Of The Devil was the payout, afterwhich, Ozzy was not on Jet anymore.
Bob sided with Don during these negotiations, and Don sold'em down the river.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:Sharon had to buy Ozzy's contract off her father. Speak Of The Devil was the payout, afterwhich, Ozzy was not on Jet anymore.
Bob sided with Don during these negotiations, and Don sold'em down the river.
How so..??
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Don was to be a witness to Daisley's claims and vice versa when Sharon and Don went to court. But instead, he just sold the whole Ozzy thing to Sharon and walked away.
You might say Bob was standing too close to a family feud, from what I have read.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:Don was to be a witness to Daisley's claims and vice versa when Sharon and Don went to court. But instead, he just sold the whole Ozzy thing to Sharon and walked away.
You might say Bob was standing too close to a family feud, from what I have read.
Yeah I knew Don was actually helping Daisley, but i think Don was looking at it from a business perspective, and Sharon a family one....i.e took it personally.......thats one of the problems with going into business with family.........it's very difficult to seperate business from personal feelings and expectations.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

And that feud was vicious. Don was not allowed to see his grandchildren for decades.
Both Don and Sharon's reputations speak for themselves when it comes to business.
Regardless, I believe that this detail is one of the 'roots' of what went down between the Osbournes vs. Bob and Lee.

And if I haven't stated it already, I am a big Bob Daisley fan! Great player, great writer. I was shocked way back when, as he announced he was joining Uriah Heep. Uriah Heep?
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Uriah Heep is only a great C+ band, but Bob needed a gig, so he took it...can't blame the guy.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

see, this is how a proper discussion should look like.
i read posts with valid points from each direction :D
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Uriah Heep is only a great C+ band, but Bob needed a gig, so he took it...can't blame the guy.
Well as a musician ya gotta do something, or quit music......not much of an option.

All in all, we're lucky we had everyone that was in Blizzard of Ozz............they were a great musical team, no doubt about it. The band wouldn't have been the same without any of them.

Not because Bob was an amazing bassist, but because he wrote, it would seem, at least 80% of the lyrics and played solid bass.

Not because Ozzy was a brilliant singer, but because he came from Black Sabbath, was known and popular, and could draw a crowd and interest in the band based on that, and he does have solid melody ideas and a great stage presence.

Not just because Randy was a great guitarist, but the music wouldn't have had those great riffs and solos, that worked so well with the lyrics, that suited Ozzy's vocal style.

Not because Lee was a great drummer, but because he was solid, and worked well with Randy and Bob, he played what suited the music and did it well.

It's a crying shame that the line up never got to write and record another album or 3...........I'm sure, based on the first early efforts, that given more time, money and better equipment, we would have had some even more amazing songs.

Bless them all for what they gave us.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

shred1 wrote:I was shocked way back when, as he announced he was joining Uriah Heep. Uriah Heep?
Since "Lee" was a member of the "classic" URIAH HEEP lineup, it shouldn't have been all that shocking that his recent former bandmate (Bob) would join the same band, when there was an available opening.

It was only a short while later that Ozzy needed some "new" material ... and guess who got called back to write the tunes?
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:
shred1 wrote:I was shocked way back when, as he announced he was joining Uriah Heep. Uriah Heep?
Since "Lee" was a member of the "classic" URIAH HEEP lineup, it shouldn't have been all that shocking that his recent former bandmate (Bob) would join the same band, when there was an available opening.

It was only a short while later that Ozzy needed some "new" material ... and guess who got called back to write the tunes?
That was Bob. But only after there was discussion involving fixing the album credits on Diary, and sorting out the royalty issues. The Osbournes agreed to set thing straight, so Bob went ahead with BATM and the tour with Jake, and when the tour was over, he was let go again, and nothing had been fixed or sorted out.

I think the only reason he went on to write more for Ozzy was that he needed the work, and lived in hope that the Osbournes would eventually do the right thing. IMO I don't think the Osbournes ever entertained the idea.......a case of.....Ozzy needs new material, tell Bob whatever you think he needs to hear in order to get him on board.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Considering his work with Rainbow and Ozzy, yes, going to Heep was kinda shocking. Bit of a downgrade when you consider where Heep were in 1981 relative to Rainbow and Ozzy.

Quote: "Lee was WAY cooler than Tommy."

In the interview I posted here a few days ago, Ozzy addressed this very thing saying he wanted to modernize. I concur that Lee made the band 'look' old.
In 1979, the hottest ticket in rock was Van Halen. It is not a coincidence that Ozzy went to LA to find a 'flash' guitar player.

I have read that Cozy Powell was considered for the drum chair on the BOO sessions. Cozy or Lee, I would go with Cozy.

Finally, Ozzy went after the drummer HE wanted, so what you and I think doesn't really matter.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:Considering his work with Rainbow and Ozzy, yes, going to Heep was kinda shocking. Bit of a downgrade when you consider where Heep were in 1981 relative to Rainbow and Ozzy.

Quote: "Lee was WAY cooler than Tommy."

In the interview I posted here a few days ago, Ozzy addressed this very thing saying he wanted to modernize. I concur that Lee made the band 'look' old.
In 1979, the hottest ticket in rock was Van Halen. It is not a coincidence that Ozzy went to LA to find a 'flash' guitar player.

I have read that Cozy Powell was considered for the drum chair on the BOO sessions. Cozy or Lee, I would go with Cozy.

Finally, Ozzy went after the drummer HE wanted, so what you and I think doesn't really matter.

Randy was the youngest one in the band. The rest were all similar ages, in fact Ozzy, Bob, Lee, Cozy, Tommy....not much but a year or two seperates them in age......I'm sure Lee would have shaved his beard off.......geez, put your hand up if you think Blizzard and Diary would have been better albums with better looking guys in the band...!!!!