Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.........

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Randy thought Jimmy Page had sloppy playing? Listen.....

Post by hansolo »

I just wanted to warn anyone who hasn't seen the movie. I'm not sure if it is stuffing or real. Be prepared, in case anyone else walks in to the room. KEEP CHILDREN AWAY! :shock:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:I'm not sure if it is stuffing or real...
I wore bell-bottoms just like Plant when I was in high school (yes, I wore bell bottoms in 1984), trust me, there is a pain factor :)
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Honestly, I've never really had the inkling to look at Mr Plant's crotch area, what I was bemoaning before was the use the of the word "lemon" in some LZ songs. I'm not a prude by any means, but when I hear such lines as "squeeze my lemon, til the juice runs down my leg" I get a little like "why the hell?!" needless to say that I wasn't around with the whole "free love" thing- I wonder if the penecillian was free back then, too? Alright, I'll stfu lol I'm just not a fan of Mr Plant's lemon, or Stairway- everything else however- I simply adore! I love Zepp otherwise (:
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

The "squeeze my lemon" lyric is taken from Robert Johnson's 'Traveling Riverside Blues'.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

My purpose was not to draw attention to said lemon but to warn anyone who hasn't seen TSRTS. My recollection is that it's worse towards the end. You have been warned! :shock:

Remember when there was innuendo? "Does anyone remember laughter?" :mrgreen:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:Remember when there was innuendo?
You mean like 95% of everything AC/DC did?

RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

hansolo wrote: Remember when there was innuendo? "Does anyone remember laughter?" :mrgreen:
Yes. vaguely.
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

randy will never die wrote:
Zakk Daniels wrote:I think Jimmy Page kicks ass!! He sounds sloppy, but that is part of his charm as a player. His style is great in my opinion. Love Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!

GOOD TO SEE YOU zakk Daniels

Thanks. Good to see you too!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Came across Gary Moore's Led Clones and thought of this thread straight away...

DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Innuendo just isnt used like it used to be,God remeber Spinal Tap?? That was great..lol But I think if he was referring to Jimmy Page or Zeppelin being Sloppy,I could Totally agree & assume that he was referring to Zeppelin LIVE?? right?
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

So Randy wasn't ever sloppy?! He sure as hell was often very sloppy - all those weird sounds and bends and fills are not anything technical at all. Yeah Randy was a technical genius but he played with more feeling and oddness than anyone else ever. I like that he took amazing chances with things and you cant do that if you're being safe or afraid of sounding off. He was totally on the edge and over the top - that's part of what helped set Randy apart.

Yes Jimmy Page was among the few others were also amazing technically and also always experimenting. And in the 1970's he was on drugs too....so the answer is YES he was sloppy. the correct response is SO F'n WHAT? Love Zep and love Jimmy's sloppy guitar!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SLAGER wrote:the correct response is SO F'n WHAT? Love Zep and love Jimmy's sloppy guitar!
No one ever said anything bad about Zeppelin due to sloppy playing...
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

I guess you're half-right Mass Poster. I was reacting to the fact that the word "sloppy" isn't a compliment. It's a derogatory word typically used to reduce the image of another person. BUT....the folks here seem to appreciate its context as applied to Page. I'm sure if Randy said that (which we don't have proof of), he would have used it observationally rather than as way to cut him down. In that context I agree.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Sloppy isn't a great compliment. Page was laid back. Zeppelin were described as tight but loose.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

randy said he was sloppy and sounded like he played with a broken wrist slager.its well documented..