1959RR

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

I just hope that they are actually played, and not stuffed away in a climate controlled storage facility by a collector to increase it's future value.
Last edited by cableguyxx on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

cableguyxx wrote:I just hope that they are actually played, and not stuffed away in a climate controlled storage facility by a collector to increase it's future value.

That's why I'd like to see the schematics and design details leak out. So us "average" guys could approximate that amp. I don't need the white tolex and the little picture of Randy on the back, but it'd be cool to have the sound.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I bet the head alone will go for 2,800/2,700 US.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Cool thanx For the post.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Now that this amp is built, let's hope the info leaks out so we can hotrod our own Marshall's to sound like these.
For those who are going for the sound only.
Just found this:
According to Marshall the channels has been cascaded but thats only when using the normal channel. The treble channel works as normal. Looking at pictures it seems that Randy was using the upper left high treble input. So maybe he didn´t use the mod.
This is something I already was suspicious about. I guess Randy initially had his Marshalls modded when he started using Marshalls the first time but eventually found out that he didn't need that cascade mod.
Hence that on the first 1980 Blizzard tour he wasn't really happy with his sound either. When checking the live pics Randy NEVER used the normal channel of his superleads only. (the upper right input jack)
On those soundclips it looks like they are trying to get Randy's sound without using any pedals...... That's not how Randy did it. By cascading the first V1 tube one looses some bite/purity of tone that I hear in Randy's '81 live sound. It doesn't sound like a cascaded amp.
And finally. When checking the live pics it seems he didn't use that white amp much either. And since it looked he never really used that cascade mod one can be wonder if that same mod was done for his other 3 Superleads as well?

So for those who are going for the sound only: no need to sell an arm and a leg for that. One can buy the real deal ( a real 76/80 white 1959 superlead) much cheaper and it will be the real deal, exactly like Randy and many others used! 8)

Shouldn't people buy the 1959RR now?
I don't think so, it's still a cool amp for sure 8) And when using the high treble input only (upper left input) one ommits that cascade and should still get that typical plexi sound. I think above points should be considered though especially when one has not really the budget and is looking for the real deal.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

thanks for the detective work dutch 8)
D.S

Post by D.S »

Here's some 1959RR related vids from the NAMM show:
Interview with Doug Aldrich about the amp which goes to footage of him demoing the amp:

http://www.licklibrary.com/TutorialsVid ... ESM6OJM%3d

Interviews with Randy's family.
One with Kathy and Kelle and another with Delores.

http://www.licklibrary.com/TutorialsVid ... L%2fl2I%3d
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for sharing.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Thank you!
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

very cool. thanks.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Nice clip with Doug playing there.
Hence that he is using the 'cascade mod' there while plugging into the normal channel, upper right input channel.

Again: Randy never used that input channel, and if we can assume the internal specs (the outer specs aren't...) of the 1959RR are the same as Randy's amp than he rarely used that 'cascade mod'. :wink: I'm interested to see live pics where he was using it. And it would be nice to hear Pete Mertons about this too...... :)

Thnx for the clips.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The next issue of 'Guitarist' magazine (12th March) will feature a full review of the amp head and the mag includes a CD aswell see the link below

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/page/guitari ... _ve_played
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:The next issue of 'Guitarist' magazine (12th March) will feature a full review of the amp head and the mag includes a CD aswell see the link below

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/page/guitari ... _ve_played
I was just going to post that!

My dad bought 4 different Guitar mags yesterday :D
One of them was Guitarist :) Randy's tone was included in the top 50 of best tones ever on place 37.

I'll post if there is something in the other mags.