Why TOmy Aldridge (or is it Lee??) did change the drum part?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fortress
Madman

Re: Why TOmy Aldridge (or is it Lee??) did change the drum p

Post by fortress »

Remedylane wrote:I suppose we view it differently. I mean, if its a really well know lead, then I will do my best to play it the way it was recorded. But when when im covering Huey Lewis and The News, or something similar, sure, I ad lib.

I agree with you 100% about how Brad Gillis played Randy's leads. He butchered them. But on the flip side, I like how he played the Sabbath stuff. When I see a band, whether its a cover band or an original band I like to see the musicians being who they are.

If I go see a cover band there are certain songs that HAVE to be done tastefully and pretty much note for note. But if I wanted to hear every song exactly played the way it was recorded, then wouldn't I be better off staying at home listening to the cd's or albums?
Brad Gillis on Speak of the Devil is a+++. He is more a pentatonic player so it fit his style
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I wouldn't say that Brad butchered Randy's leads as much as he was just trying to keep up! The reason is you don't hear people play the way Randy did. Many times imitated but never duplicated.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hansolo wrote:I wouldn't say that Brad butchered Randy's leads as much as he was just trying to keep up! The reason is you don't hear people play the way Randy did. Many times imitated but never duplicated.
do you even believe that yourself? :lol:
those players after Randy wasn't/isn't so sheepish that some people are? ;) 8)