Did the Osbournes held back the live footage?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Did the Osbournes held back the live footage?

Post by hansolo »

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

ABC rock report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OSmGVt5ARA

Wonder how much was shot, as they loop what they have even within the 3 minutes or so - i.e. Aldridge does the same chop twice.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

It really does seem that Ozzy never met a camera that he didn't like- and that any news snippet/publicity was embraced- I bet there is more footage out there w/Randy and sadly, it's probably under lock and key to never see the light of day again, I suspect that Sharin' uses it to wipe her bum after she shits on other people's sculptures or whatever have you.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

We know the ET footage is still around because Peter Margolis has it. As for other stuff filmed for news, etc... it was most likely used and trashed. No one thought Ozzy would be worth much down the road, so why keep it? And definitely no one thought to keep it for Randy's fans, why would they? He was a sidekick.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

BowTie29 wrote:Watch all 4 parts of these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuxY1pZ ... el&list=UL
Is that from the documentary that came with the 30th anniversary box set? I haven't seen any of it.
Stiltzkin wrote:
hansolo wrote:where is the unedited footage and does it exist?
probaly not. TV stations most likely record the whol thing on the fly, mixing and all...
If they were mixing live that would most likely be the case, depending on exactly what their technical set up was and archival approach. The ET stuff looks like they sent a crew down to film. So more footage almost certainly exists. But, it would only have been one camera filming the dress rehearsal, which means breaks in songs as the camera resets for a different shot. Also, the original tape would most likely have been left in storage, with no intention of creating different generations to preserve it, unlike the show itself. That means 30 year old analogue video, the quality would not be good :|
Paul Wolfe wrote:We know the ET footage is still around because Peter Margolis has it. As for other stuff filmed for news, etc... it was most likely used and trashed. No one thought Ozzy would be worth much down the road, so why keep it? And definitely no one thought to keep it for Randy's fans, why would they? He was a sidekick.
In spite of the obvious logic to that, there is a chance these oddities survive. From around the late 70s onwards it became more affordable to preserve footage. And organisations like the BBC started going to great length to keep a concise archive of all broadcasts material. After all, any tape represents investment of money. The BBC guard ownership of their old stock like zealots! The material they do dispense with is offered to organisations like the BFI. I don't know lots about america networks but there is always a reasonable chance the edited programmes still exist in some decayed form. The raw footage is far, far less likely to have survived.

Edit: Misread your post slightly Paul, thought you were referring to programming, not just footage off the camera

Double Edit :D : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping#United_States

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's cool, Rob... I was meaning that they'd shoot something, edit a piece and then toss whatever wasn't used...

For nearly 50 years, Portland, OR, had a pro wrestling TV show. The promoter, Don Owens, didn't want to pay the $25 bucks a show to archive it, so the only video of that era is what fans (or the wrestlers themselves) taped from their TV. I see Ozzy/Randy footage like that.