Bob Daisley's grail stuff.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rokket
Madman

Re: Bob Daisley's grail stuff.

Post by rokket »

Alex wrote:This would be a non-issue if the contracts actually gave them the rights to these things.

As far as I understand, they pestered Don Arden about these things when they were still in the band, but still went on to do the album(s).

That's a bad business move.
While they were trying to get this sorted they still had to work, you can't put your life on hold while you wait....!!!

All the issues Bob has are only over Diary, considering how many of "Ozzy's" greatest songs he's been involved with, you'd think Ozzy would at least play fair ball, contract or no contract,

Underlined text indicates that additional information is available.

Displaying Results 1 - 1

Works written by:
Save
DAISLEY ROBERT JOHN Society: PRS IPI No. 46656070
1 . BELIEVER
(Work ID: 320274771)
2 . BLOODBATH IN PARADISE
(Work ID: 320338185)
3 . BREAKIN ALL THE RULES
(Work ID: 320338229)
4 . CHASING SHADOWS
(Work ID: 330312442)
5 . CRAZY BABIES
(Work ID: 330399743)
6 . CRAZY TRAIN
(Work ID: 330297817)
7 . DEMON ALCOHOL
(Work ID: 340291063)
8 . DEVIL S DAUGHTER
(Work ID: 340291072)
9 . DIARY OF A MADMAN
(Work ID: 340219301)
10 . EVERYDAY
(Work ID: 351744973)
11 . FIRE IN THE SKY
(Work ID: 360245021)
12 . FLYING HIGH AGAIN
(Work ID: 360177033)
13 . FOOL LIKE YOU
(Work ID: 360230199)
14 . GETAWAY BLUES
(Work ID: 371938637)
15 . GOODBYE TO ROMANCE
(Work ID: 370164466)
16 . HERO
(Work ID: 380291916)
17 . I DON T KNOW
(Work ID: 390374004)
18 . KILLER OF GIANTS
(Work ID: 410095544)
19 . LAST CHANCE
(Work ID: 421271770)
20 . LET'S GO 2004
(Work ID: 420737886)
21 . LIGHTNING STRIKES
(Work ID: 420322172)
22 . LITTLE DOLLS
(Work ID: 420265421)
23 . MIRACLE MAN
(Work ID: 430392686)
24 . MISTER CROWLEY
(Work ID: 430304315)
25 . MOTHER EARTH (REVELATION)
(Work ID: 430325516)
26 . NEVER KNOW WHY
(Work ID: 440165028)
27 . NO BONE MOVIES
(Work ID: 440122574)
28 . OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT
(Work ID: 450170986)
29 . OVER THE MOUNTAIN
(Work ID: 450150668)
30 . REVELATION
(Work ID: 480146625)
31 . RUNNING ALL NIGHT (WITH THE LION)
(Work ID: 480570489)
32 . S A T O
(Work ID: 490498530)
33 . SECRET LOSER
(Work ID: 490606850)
34 . STEAL AWAY (THE NIGHT)
(Work ID: 490483153)
35 . STRAIGHT THROUGH THE HEART
(Work ID: 490518517)
36 . SUICIDE SOLUTION
(Work ID: 490487391)
37 . SWEET TALK
(Work ID: 490518651)
38 . TATTOOED DANCER
(Work ID: 500410308)
39 . THANK GOD FOR THE BOMB
(Work ID: 500396585)
40 . TONIGHT
(Work ID: 500316929)
41 . TOO SCARED TO RUN
(Work ID: 501126589)
42 . ULTIMATE SIN
(Work ID: 510081708)
43 . UNDEAD
(Work ID: 510202587)
44 . WEEKEND WARRIORS
(Work ID: 530822905)
45 . YOU CAN T KILL ROCK AND ROLL
(Work ID: 550116006)
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Alex wrote:
rokket wrote:While they were trying to get this sorted they still had to work, you can't put your life on hold while you wait....!!!
Then you move on and do other things.

Do you think Sharon would let Ozzy do something without a proper contract?

She would laugh and walk away.

As a musician, you'd walk away after just doing Blizzard and Diary, knowing how good it sounds, and more than likely feeling pretty excited about the prospects for the future..??? I don't think so.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

We´re still talking about music here? I mean, music of Randy Rhoads, Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake & Ozzy Osbourne... :wink: Yeah, one should get what´s due...fair play seems like a rare thing in bussiness... Randy Rhoads rocks!!! :mrgreen:
Mikel
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

stealaway wrote:We´re still talking about music here? I mean, music of Randy Rhoads, Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake & Ozzy Osbourne... :wink: Yeah, one should get what´s due...fair play seems like a rare thing in bussiness... Randy Rhoads rocks!!! :mrgreen:

Agreed. Randy Rhoads did/does and always will ROCK. His playing was so good and innovative. It's about time though that the "fans" understand that Ozzy's success was and is due more to Randy and Bob's writing efforts than anything else. I would be so greatfull if I was a mental wreck, smashed out of my head on god knows what most of the day/night, and Randy and Bob came into my life and really put me back on the music map, but thats just me, clearly not Ozzy. Although Ozzy does sing the praises of Randy, which I hope is not just a business move on the Osbourne's behalf because Randy is so popular and one wrong move out of place concerning him would see Ozzy lose thousands if not millions of fans, unlike Bob, who, for the most part, seems to be forgotten in the mix. Could you imagine if Sharon had Zakk replace Randy's guitar parts to "give the albums a fresher sound".....holy %$#@........well thats the excuse she gave for taking out Bob and Lee's parts. Randy turned in his grave when that happened I'm sure.........you don't mess with gospel. Amen.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

rokket wrote: Agreed. Randy Rhoads did/does and always will ROCK. His playing was so good and innovative. It's about time though that the "fans" understand that Ozzy's success was and is due more to Randy and Bob's writing efforts than anything else. I would be so greatfull if I was a mental wreck, smashed out of my head on god knows what most of the day/night, and Randy and Bob came into my life and really put me back on the music map, but thats just me, clearly not Ozzy.
hold on. it's not like Ozzy was a total nobody at the time (around '78/'79).
he did have a good 8 or something years with one of the founding bands of the metal genre
and although he might not have been the most creative force in that band
he sure as hell made a name for himself.

let's look at the other side of the spectre, in other words Randy Rhoads.
a stellar guitarplayer and a creative force within himself, he was pretty
much locked up in a soon to be dissolved LA band that released 2 albums
in Japan that no record company wanted to touch. Quiet Riot was pretty
much overrun by Van Halen anyway, no matter what we think/feel about
their respective guitarists.

So, who do you think would've succeeded better than the other? Randy or Ozzy?
I'm pretty sure, that Ozzy would have dug up a decent guitarist anyway,
but I'm not so sure what Randy would have done if the 2 didn't join forces.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Stiltzkin wrote:
rokket wrote: Agreed. Randy Rhoads did/does and always will ROCK. His playing was so good and innovative. It's about time though that the "fans" understand that Ozzy's success was and is due more to Randy and Bob's writing efforts than anything else. I would be so greatfull if I was a mental wreck, smashed out of my head on god knows what most of the day/night, and Randy and Bob came into my life and really put me back on the music map, but thats just me, clearly not Ozzy.
hold on. it's not like Ozzy was a total nobody at the time (around '78/'79).
he did have a good 8 or something years with one of the founding bands of the metal genre
and although he might not have been the most creative force in that band
he sure as hell made a name for himself.

let's look at the other side of the spectre, in other words Randy Rhoads.
a stellar guitarplayer and a creative force within himself, he was pretty
much locked up in a soon to be dissolved LA band that released 2 albums
in Japan that no record company wanted to touch. Quiet Riot was pretty
much overrun by Van Halen anyway, no matter what we think/feel about
their respective guitarists.

So, who do you think would've succeeded better than the other? Randy or Ozzy?
I'm pretty sure, that Ozzy would have dug up a decent guitarist anyway,
but I'm not so sure what Randy would have done if the 2 didn't join forces.

i kinda agree. I'm not sure we would have heard of randy rhoads if he had create blizzard of ozz songs with quiet riot. They have to have someone like Ozzy to bring the @buzz@ about that musics
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

fortress wrote:i kinda agree. I'm not sure we would have heard of randy rhoads if he had create blizzard of ozz songs with quiet riot. They have to have someone like Ozzy to bring the @buzz@ about that musics
I'm not sure he had the creative freedom in Quiet Riot either.
Chances are that he would just fallen back on his teaching if
he and Ozzy hadn't teamed up and then we probably wouldn't be here.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

but , i forgot a little detail.. Kevin Dubrow was able to spread to word with that succesfull metal health... who know? i still beleive we wouldnt have heard about Randy if it was not for Ozzy.. Same thing for Zakk Wylde
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Not to mention I'm sure Randy's success later helped Quiet Riot Breakout of the scene and onto a national stage.

Good post Stilzkin

Ozzy's success with Sabbath is way to often overlooked. And I keep bringing this up but on the Black Sabbath IN THE STUDIO DVD for Paranoid Geezer Butler made this comment "Ozzy never gets enough credit for the amount of songwritting that he does". Straight from the mouth of the person that helped pen the lyrics before Bob even came along.
Last edited by axeman_12656 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

axeman_12656 wrote:Not to mention I'm sure Randy's success later helped Quiet Riot Breakout out of the scene and onto a national stage.
totally possible.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I think Ozzys creativity is often overlooked. Some fans wanna give all the credit to Randy, Bob Daisley wants to take most of the credit himself. Sure he covers it up by saying it was a combination of the four, but at the end of the day if you read Bobs interviews, its "I wrote this lyric" " I came up with that title" I came up with that melody" None of us were there, so we really don't know what transpired. Its easy to say Ozzy was drunk and can't remember what really happened, but I don't buy that. I don't think Ozzy gets enough credit. If you look at the list of songs Bob is credited with writing throughout his career, the only memorable ones are the ones Ozzy sang. I honestly think Ozzy contributed more to the writing process than Bob gives him credit for. If he was so mad at Ozzy then why did he continue to work with him throughout the years? Because he had a winning formula. Thats why. Ozzy has had huge success no matter who his guitar player has been, and no matter what band has backed him. Ozzy deserves just as much credit as anyone.

Matt
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Remedylane wrote:I think Ozzys creativity is often overlooked. Some fans wanna give all the credit to Randy, Bob Daisley wants to take most of the credit himself. Sure he covers it up by saying it was a combination of the four, but at the end of the day if you read Bobs interviews, its "I wrote this lyric" " I came up with that title" I came up with that melody" None of us were there, so we really don't know what transpired. Its easy to say Ozzy was drunk and can't remember what really happened, but I don't buy that. I don't think Ozzy gets enough credit. If you look at the list of songs Bob is credited with writing throughout his career, the only memorable ones are the ones Ozzy sang. I honestly think Ozzy contributed more to the writing process than Bob gives him credit for. If he was so mad at Ozzy then why did he continue to work with him throughout the years? Because he had a winning formula. Thats why. Ozzy has had huge success no matter who his guitar player has been, and no matter what band has backed him. Ozzy deserves just as much credit as anyone.

Matt

Ozzy himself says he was a complete mess and unable to function at that time after he was fired from Black Sabbath. So I do buy it, by sides are telling the same story. It's also easy to say that the only memorable songs Ozzy sang, seem to be the ones Bob and Randy wrote.....it works both ways, giving even more basis to the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" theory that Bob mentions at the time Sharon wanted to get Tommy Aldridge in the band and Bob was against it......so both Lee and Bob were fired for rocking the boat.

The Diary tour success was on the back of the songs from the first two albums......it had nothing to do with Rudy and Tommy being in the band, they simply were not needed.

If Ozzy was a great song writer and is great with any guitarist he wouldn't have wanted Bob for Bark At The Moon, or Ultimate Sin, or No Rest For The Wicked or No More Tears..........he had Jake....he had Zakk......etc.....you gotta have both great songs, and great players.

Take Bob out of the equation for all those albums, even with a great guitarist, would the songs have been really good????

Sure, Black Rain and Scream have some good tracks on them, but IMO they aren't better albums than the previous ones or as good.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Great points about Bob.

Yeah, maybe it wasn't really Randy, Jake, or Zakk...IT WAS DEFINITELY BOB.

I'll go to my grave someday thinking that Bob was the absolute "key" ingredient to Ozzy's solo success.

Imagine if Ozzy would have never hooked up with Bob, and would have kept some local "hack" players that he was good buddies with. They would have POSSIBLY put out an album, and chances are, it would have flopped. That would have been the end of his career. No doubt. Nobody would have given him a second chance.