Guitar case in backgroud

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Guitar case in backgroud

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Pat you are probably correct about Randy's guitar effects flight case. The one on the DOTG 1981 pic. But the stickers are missing and those are from as early as 1980 ?. It could be a shot of the other side of the case ?. But i'm going with it being his Les Paul case. As it would of been more at hand in the dressing room, the effects case would of been packed away with his cabs and heads etc. Making it less accessable to putting stickers and old passes etc on it. Just my theory and anyone who has a guitar case, its the kind of thing you decorate with stickers of the places you've been on tour etc. I'm sure all his electric guitars are all in tough metal cornered flight cases. That pic of the hard shell 'Gibson' case on the left that will more then likely be for his acoustic classical guitar ?.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:That is Randy's Les Paul case... i would say that this was built for him when he joined the band in 1980.
"Built" for him? Isn't it just an Anvil LP case?

Well it looks very much the same Paul including the amount of rivets along the top and side. So it must just be an off the shelf case. I thought it may of been custom made at the same time as his pedal board ?.
Blind Mojo Johnny

Post by Blind Mojo Johnny »

I think I remember something about his actual (OHSC) les paul case being at musiona so it could be that he got that case in california before he even left the states for traveling to england as that would have been the first time the white les paul would have been on a plane.....

visit my site: www.blindmojojohnny.com
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
AeolianMad wrote:I have always been curious to the guitar case that is directly in the background of this picture, i really like it with all the stickers and stuff. anybody know the details about that case as well as some of the stickers? I would love to know about it.
Couldn't that be his pedalboard case? (it looks a bit small in wide for being a guitar flight case....)
Check the pic below, on the left of the case there seems to be another case, couldn't that be such a typical 'Gibson' case? (with white 'Gibson' emblem on it)
If he liked to carry the Les Paul with him lots of time, then he maybe preffered a light weight gibson case (?) instead of a typical flightcase that's usual a lot heavier.

The lowest picture (I think from DOTG) shows a case that's what I think is his pedalboard case. When ignoring the difference in 'stickers', can it be the same case?
it looks to be the case for the warm up/backstage pedal board in the top pic.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I was having a look at this thread as it made some interesting points into what that case is used for. I'll still say it's for his Les Paul as i have noticed in this pic his other cases are to the left stacked up.
Attachments
RR backstage guitars.jpg
Randys Guitar case.jpg
(16.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Randy Rhoads V.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's a great shot of the V in it's case!

I think the one in the shot of Randy practicing is definitely the LP case. My reasoning being that V cases tend to be quite a bit wider. I used to have an RR Jackson with a case and the case was HUGE.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:1:17
I knew where the shot came from, I simply commended Idol on posting a great picture.

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I read it earlier and went to youtube after everybody was asking and went thru all the parts (it's broken into 3 minute segments) until I found it and I had UR up in another tab and posted but by then I was too late. What is the advanced music theory at the end?
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:That is Randy's Les Paul case... i would say that this was built for him when he joined the band in 1980.
"Built" for him? Isn't it just an Anvil LP case?

Randy had 3 of these Anvil cases 1 for his concord and another for his PDV 1 for the second concord
Last edited by randy will never die on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

hansolo wrote:I read it earlier and went to youtube after everybody was asking and went thru all the parts (it's broken into 3 minute segments) until I found it and I had UR up in another tab and posted but by then I was too late. What is the advanced music theory at the end?

It's something randy was writing during Randy's days with ozzy

Delors said randy would stay up late at nights to write music

Randy was really into music when he was about to die
randy will never die
Mass Poster

No randy had a normal gibson les Paul case

REMBER Gibson doing that limited run of a relic version of Randy's les Paul with the relic case

Both of Randy's Jackson guitars are in a anvil case one inter is a brownish another is blue
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Randy's original case for his LP was a typical Gibson vintage hard case in the shape of the guitar. It has been seen several times it still has the Quiet Riot logo stenciled on the lid. That was left behind in musonia when Randy got the anvil case for the LP.
If you scroll back through the thread you'll see the stickers on the case being mentioned. They fit the period of 1980 - 1981, up until that backstage photo was taking. Remember Randy only had the LP & the PDV in the early years of his Ozzy career. He did own other guitars but these are the main ones he used on stage. I've never seen the cases for the other Jackson guitars to distinguish what ones belong to which guitars. Or did they feature in one of the Japanese tribute books ?. I'll have to dig them out and have a look.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

On the first page of the May 1992 of GW with the lesson from the tape has a bigger shot with some other cases! Sorry for the quality, my scanner isn't hooked up.
Attachments
rrrrr.JPG
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

The lower one on the table looks like a Fender case.