New pics from 1980!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: New pics from 1980!!!

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

WOW!!! :shock: those are awesome i have to agree with Matt that pic of the band all laughing. It just goes to show you that the line up at that time was special. It was just a shame it went pair shaped and other musicians stepped in. Only a few Fin Costello pics have came from that photo shoot including the ones from the 1980 tour programme from the Ridge Farm set. I could picture these being used in the re-release of the Blizzard albums in a booklet.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

I think it's cool that this site has a totally loose vibe and folks treat eachother like buddies 8)
I wonder if Bob has any regrets over selling that bass, considering the history it participated in. I believe he still has the fender P that was used on Diary, though. The white Gibson may have been one of the few he recorded with that he no longer has. :(
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

I Agree! Those Pics of Lee are AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I definatly could See them being Used in the Re Releases!!!! Especially since Fin was Un-Quote one of "THE" ROCK Photographers of the Day.

I Hope we get a Remix & Original Mixes too,well I already have had those for 25 yrs (Im 30)
But hearing a REMIX not just REMASTERED would be AWSOME!!! I mean Look on Lees Drums there are 8 Mics that are in the Pic!!!Id suppose there was another Over head to Lees right.

With a Top of the line Board of the day,It can sound AMAZING looking at the Mics on the Toms & the Overheads!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

A couple of shots from the blizzard album cover shoot... I think Ozzy was right to change his taste of clothes that shirt is bad ?.
Attachments
Blizzard shoot 1980. 2.jpg
Blizzard shoot 1980.jpg
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Awsome!!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Excellent pics thanks.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

It's odd the cover is from the same room they recorded in...

:?
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

hansolo wrote:It's odd the cover is from the same room they recorded in...

:?
Was it really? I thought it was a back drop! Though the beams do look like Ridge Farm. Did Ridge Farm Studio have a door like that?
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Can anyone verify that? I see the similarity but I would like to be sure...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I asked the photographer Fin Costello about the shoot and he said "The cover was shot in June 1980 at Metropolitan Wharf in Wapping London E1
(Studio M)". The studio was on the top floor of the old warehouse looking over
the Thames to Bermondsey. That is not my shot of the group (referring to the back cover pic) as I recall though I did a session for the cover at Ridge Farm and may be wrong.
There is a credit on that picture. I'm sure the photographer is
credited on the cover or liner. It's too long ago now and I don't have
my negs here anymore. I have been retired from Rock Photography since 2005. Many thanks for your interest Cheers Fin

http://www.hawkinsbrown.co.uk/portfolio ... rojectId=9
Attachments
Metropolitan wharf.jpg
(154.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I asked the photographer Fin Costello about the shoot and he said "The cover was shot in June 1980 at Metropolitan Wharf in Wapping London E1
(Studio M)". The studio was on the top floor of the old warehouse looking over
the Thames to Bermondsey. That is not my shot of the group (referring to the back cover pic) as I recall though I did a session for the cover at Ridge Farm and may be wrong.
There is a credit on that picture. I'm sure the photographer is
credited on the cover or liner. It's too long ago now and I don't have
my negs here anymore. I have been retired from Rock Photography since 2005. Many thanks for your interest Cheers Fin

http://www.hawkinsbrown.co.uk/portfolio ... rojectId=9
As Randy would say, "Oh wowww!" Thanks for posting that info! That is very interesting. Well, there's the answer and you can see the shapes of the doors that match the one in the photo.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Through the dry ice, you can make out the shapes of high rises in the near distance. I'm not from the UK, but I always assumed Ridge Farm was in a more rural area?
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

whoopiecat wrote:Through the dry ice, you can make out the shapes of high rises in the near distance. I'm not from the UK, but I always assumed Ridge Farm was in a more rural area?
Yeah Ridge Farm is in a rural wooded area of countryside in Dorking Surrey 15 minutes drive to Heathrow airport. So it's not far from the capital and central London. But the album cover was shot in Wapping London the high rised buildings are looking over at Bermondsey over the river Thames. But it's cool to find out this info and something i have always wondered about. I thought the album shoot was taking at Clearwell castle during pre-production.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Thats Awsome,I had No idea Ridge farm was So Close...I never been to Europe,but I always imagined it to e Way out in the Country.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Thats Awsome,I had No idea Ridge farm was So Close...I never been to Europe,but I always imagined it to e Way out in the Country.