RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sky
Madman

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by Sky »

shred2 wrote:Who decided that those two albums needed to be 're-issued'?
Sony or the Osbournes?
The Osbournes. They made the decisions about BOO & Diary then, and they make the decisions about BOO & Diary now.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
shred2

Post by shred2 »

Interesting.
The One
Cool Member

Post by The One »

hansolo wrote:Yeah, I just tried it again and I got a book! Sorry for the earlier posts. I think I must of had a glitch or the site timed out??? I just opened another browser and went to the site and no problem!
I think we should boycott the Rhoads family. What did that family ever put out that was a tribute to Randy's memory and legacy? Think. Nothing. Fuc# their wine and $13,000 guitars. How dare they cry "EXPLOITATION OF RANDY RHOADS " WHEN THEY ARE THE WORST OFFENDERS! Wine? What does that have to do with playing guitar or Randy? There is no other explanation of putting Randy's picture on an alcoholic product to sell some fermented grapes at premium prices and it wasn't even the Rhoads' or Cathy's vineyard. It's her husband's! It is his vineyard, his name on the bottle (no offense to the guy) but why is that okay to use Randy (likeness) to put on a product, looking like he endorses the product, without his consent, after his passing? That is sick! And they stop any music, footage or pictures (books, DVD's) coming out because THAT exploits his memory? I used to think it was Sharon (a few issues with her) who was the hold-up but I think she would have put stuff out if it was her decision.
Well said, couldn't agree more.
The hypocrisy is huge. I think the Rhoads' are shooting themselves in the foot.
I think the film was a little too "real" for the family. It's a fu*king shame for us, the fans, who've hung in there for way too long .
enough is enough....

( my 2cents )
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

WHAT IF . . . . the premise of the RR film was a farce?

What if the people that had promised the Rhoads' family a documentary about Randy had other intentions (let's say, making books at $100 each instead of a $35 docu)-
what if the authors saved the best material for the "real" project and pieced together a half assed docu using scrap material they knew would offend the family- knowing fully well that they would shut it down? (A dick move to make them look bad to the fans- pretty effective for generating interest I'd say.)

A lot of the people and related online monikers that surfaced during this supposed filming were pretty shady and some even outright a**holes. I know it's been said that directors can be real c*nts, but what is the excuse for the behavior of those working on the director's behalf? I think that the stories behind those that chose not to cooperate with the filming was pretty consistent, that these people were on the take. I feel that Rhoads family was lied to and royally screwed over- and that there is a LOT more to this story, folks.

It's not just my opinion but my gut feeling- my .04.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
shred2

Post by shred2 »

Botching a documentary for the purpose of releasing a book that won't pay for itself hardly makes sense.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

It does if the docu was a lie to begin with- which I believe that it was. I don't think that the authors would have had as much access to a lot of the materials otherwise, nor would it have been as easy to get musicians and other associates to share their input and release rights to their contributions.

I think that the promise that they were working with the family on a documentary made it more appealing- I don't think the fruits would have been as sweet had they just asked for materials and contributions to release an unauthorized biography (containing rare and previously unreleased photos and other memorabilia) at a hundred bucks a clip.

Just my opinion.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

shred2 wrote:Botching a documentary for the purpose of releasing a book that won't pay for itself hardly makes sense.
You're delusional if you think it "won't pay for itself" at $100 each.

Do I think it was a plausible pre-planned strategy? Doubtful.

Do I think Andrew Klein is an unprofessional POS? Definitely.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

There is no profit on shipping. The overhead cost per unit on a book of this scale ( printing and binding) is harsh.
How many of these books do you think they have sold?
50,000? 5,000? Maybe 500?

I am gonna add that the documentary looks like it was done on a shoestring budget - judging from the trailer.

We haven't heard any updates on this court case since it was launched, but I have read that 'lawsuits' filed to block unauthorized biographies is the norm. There are tens of thousands of unauthorized bios out there....
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

There is plenty of profit on shipping and handling at $60/international. I manage quality control, shipping and receiving for a smaller-medium sized printing company (depending upon what is printed) and from my knowledge of the various methods to ship both at home and abroad- yes, $60 shipping leaves a nice chunk of change after shipping and any possible taxes.

I could look into what the approximate cost of each book at my job and my contacts at other printing companies- I'd be willing to bet that each book cost at or slightly below $25/ea- depending upon the style, layout, binding, etc. I don't know the specifics about the weight of the paper and other misc details (from what I understand, they were well done books).

***edit: the price will also go down as the number of units goes up. I wouldn't doubt that the publishers are starting w/a smaller numbered run initially (esp if they don't have the capacity to print and bind in-house) I'm not aware of any orders in my company's history (we also make hard covers, soft covers etc) that would cost $100 per unit. Unless they're being printed with liquid gold and virgin goat blood (a service we don't offer).

Even if this book doesn't fare well- I suspect that Velocity Publishing Group will certainly benefit from having this under its belt, even bad press is still press. I don't know the age of the company or its portfolio but they have only 2 other books offered on their website.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Some quick math- even if they sold only 500 books- that's still $49,500, and let's say half are international orders- that adds an additional $15,000- those numbers may not be amazing but they're a lot better than 500 units at $35 ($17,500).

I'm sure they're utilizing the cheapest shipping method possible each book (USPS, FedX, UPS, small freight/common carrier to local delivery services, etc) which can cost as little as $5.15 (edited 2ce: USPS here in the states). Actually my earlier quote of $25 to make each book may be off base because I don't know the specs to determine a more approximate cost per unit, but it's not unfeasible that it cost well under $25 each book- especially if you have access to a printing company with the capacity to handle this endeavor.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

Take away production costs, shipping and labor, and there isn't a lot of money left on the table.
I also believe that actual sales are in the couple hundred range. Tops.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I don't know that there is a way to determine how many units have sold- perhaps we could use Rudy's book sales as a potential guide- I think it's going to be way over a couple hundred.

Not that we could prove or disprove the sales amount anyway.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

shred2 wrote:Take away production costs, shipping and labor, and there isn't a lot of money left on the table.
I also believe that actual sales are in the couple hundred range. Tops.
I thought you just got through attempting to characterize it as a book that "won't pay for itself."

Make up your mind.
shred2

Post by shred2 »

I don't think it will pay for itself. I don't think it has sold close to 500 units.
Calm down.
Did they use one of your photos?
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Last I saw Randy's FB page had well over 110,000 friends- I'd be willing to bet that FB provided a convenient platform for sales for both bios, and I believe that sales are well over 200. The RR bio is $150 on Amazon new, and as low as $132 used. Otherwise through the publisher it's $99 with shipping up to $60.

http://www.amazon.com/Randy-Rhoads-Stev ... 1450727212

No, I don't know any specifics on the RR/QR bio, but I'd venture a guess the sales are pretty comparable.