The Guitar Voice of Randy Rhoads...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

The Guitar Voice of Randy Rhoads...

Post by Shockwave »

Here is something you may not have seen! I have been meaning to post this for awhile..I was cleaning up my cloud storage and found this file I saved awhile back.

This guy wrote his master degree thesis on Randy Rhoads music and the theory behind it. I glanced through it but I don't have the time or patience to sit there and read it. I think the last book I read was 25 years ago... :lol:

It does look interesting though and should give a great break down of how Randy constructed almost every song. It is 187 pages of Randy Rhoads theory..

All credit for this goes to the author below, if he sees this hopefully he is ok with me posting it. I found it through a google search for randy material as it is readily available for download.

The Guitar Voice Of Randy Rhoads
Francis Wayne Carew
Wayne State University,
Attachments
The Guitar Voice Of Randy Rhoads.pdf
The Guitar Voice of Randy Rhoads
(17.68 MiB) Downloaded 466 times
The Flying Dutchman

Re: The Guitar Voice of Randy Rhoads...

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thanks for sharing Shock! 8)
Never seen anything like this, haven't read it all yet (just quickly scanned the document) but I already can tell this is a very valuable document for those who want to dig deeper into the Randy music. For sure I gonna read it all. And I'm also sure the author is oke with sharing it here!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Cheers Shockwave, looks like an interesting read.
nuclear1

Post by nuclear1 »

Its a good read....It validates the fact that RR had a huge knowledge of music theory!
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

THANK YOU! What a glorious gift when all has been quiet for such a long time!! I love reading about the technical aspects of Randy's playing and I AM REALLY GOING TO ENJOY reading this. My kids are taking classical piano lessons and learning theory, and this read will legitimize the knowledge and construction behind some of the most killer rock songs for them and their music teacher. And let them know Dad wasn't all that crazy in his adoration for RR!
romeorose2019

Post by romeorose2019 »

I noticed most of that stuff in that pdf book is actually just compiled from other sources. I've read most of that same stuff in there almost word for word in other guitar magazines and stuff. It's not really like the author actually took it upon himself to personally analyze every lick of Randys recorded catalogue, he just grabbed most if not all of this stuff from other places and put it all into one pdf. Sometimes just putting it into his own words and sometimes adding un-nessacery filler.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

romeorose2019 wrote:I noticed most of that stuff in that pdf book is actually just compiled from other sources. I've read most of that same stuff in there almost word for word in other guitar magazines and stuff. It's not really like the author actually took it upon himself to personally analyze every lick of Randys recorded catalogue, he just grabbed most if not all of this stuff from other places and put it all into one pdf. Sometimes just putting it into his own words and sometimes adding un-nessacery filler.
Romeo, this is why it's called theory...if interpreted correctly it will be the same output every time no matter who is describing it.

He may have very well pulled from sources as you mention, but that is called research and allowed as long as he cites them within the paper. In case you are not aware it's very hard to plagerize in college now as everything is ran through analytics programs. The documents are digitally read, analyzed, and then compared against every paper ever submitted to that college and most all other colleges within the system, which includes all of the USA. The programs also search the web for matching sentences and alike content (yes guitar world). It then outputs percentages as to the likelihood of plagiarism in various categories.

Lastly, I imagine this person is not going to risk throwing away 4+ years of college and the associated cost with it all on one paper. The person has obviously dedicated their life to music as is evident by the degree program he is enrolled in.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Sweeet... something to do fr fun tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this
romeorose2019

Post by romeorose2019 »

Shockwave wrote:
romeorose2019 wrote:I noticed most of that stuff in that pdf book is actually just compiled from other sources. I've read most of that same stuff in there almost word for word in other guitar magazines and stuff. It's not really like the author actually took it upon himself to personally analyze every lick of Randys recorded catalogue, he just grabbed most if not all of this stuff from other places and put it all into one pdf. Sometimes just putting it into his own words and sometimes adding un-nessacery filler.
Romeo, this is why it's called theory...if interpreted correctly it will be the same output every time no matter who is describing it.

He may have very well pulled from sources as you mention, but that is called research and allowed as long as he cites them within the paper. In case you are not aware it's very hard to plagerize in college now as everything is ran through analytics programs. The documents are digitally read, analyzed, and then compared against every paper ever submitted to that college and most all other colleges within the system, which includes all of the USA. The programs also search the web for matching sentences and alike content (yes guitar world). It then outputs percentages as to the likelihood of plagiarism in various categories.

Lastly, I imagine this person is not going to risk throwing away 4+ years of college and the associated cost with it all on one paper. The person has obviously dedicated their life to music as is evident by the degree program he is enrolled in.

Dude, seriously, who gives a fuck about that wall of text you just wrote? I never said anyone had grounds to sue the guy. I just pointed out there's nothing special about anything in his pdf file. I've read every issue of guitar world, guitar player, guitar for the practicing musician, guitar one, since those mags came out, most of that stuff is in those magazines, and what isn't is pretty easily found elsewhere online. As far as degree in music, means very little, just someone that throws good money away. A degree is useless other than the networking "kissing ass" you can do with other like minded people when it comes to being a musician. It may be benefcial if he wants to be a music educator or something behind the scenes in the biz but that's about it.
Steve Vai is about the only guitarist I know that attended a college or university for music, and he woulda still been Vai without it. Yngwie Malmsteen and Eddie Van Halen and Dimebag didn't need any collge/university music school. It's for twats that just wanna try to inflate their own ego and nothing more.

I really don't have two shits for the guy that wrote that pdf.... he just did it because he's lazy and that was a easy thing to write.
Anyone can go find stuff like that and throw it together.
Real Randy fans like me have already read all that stuff from the original sources.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

romeorose2019 wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

Dude, seriously, who gives a fuck about that wall of text you just wrote? I never said anyone had grounds to sue the guy. I just pointed out there's nothing special about anything in his pdf file. I've read every issue of guitar world, guitar player, guitar for the practicing musician, guitar one, since those mags came out, most of that stuff is in those magazines, and what isn't is pretty easily found elsewhere online. As far as degree in music, means very little, just someone that throws good money away. A degree is useless other than the networking "kissing ass" you can do with other like minded people when it comes to being a musician. It may be benefcial if he wants to be a music educator or something behind the scenes in the biz but that's about it.
Steve Vai is about the only guitarist I know that attended a college or university for music, and he woulda still been Vai without it. Yngwie Malmsteen and Eddie Van Halen and Dimebag didn't need any collge/university music school. It's for twats that just wanna try to inflate their own ego and nothing more.

I really don't have two shits for the guy that wrote that pdf.... he just did it because he's lazy and that was a easy thing to write.
Anyone can go find stuff like that and throw it together.
Real Randy fans like me have already read all that stuff from the original sources.
Ok
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Shockwave wrote:Ok
Exactly! Just one guy's opinion, no more no less. :wink:
I think the guy did great research in a way not seen before! (and that's also just my opinion :) )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.