It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Why do you want to see new Randy Rhoads footage?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:18 pm 
Madman

Let me preface by saying I would love to see a pro shot concert of Randy during the Blizzard or Diary tours. With that said I was thinking to myself that we have some pretty decent stuff already and began to wonder why there's such a thirst for more material.

After Hours is a true gem that is taken for granted.
Chicago is one that, although isn't great, is still pretty good.
The Palladium shows, the snippet and the one from the box set.
Quiet Riot shows

I'm not trying to list everything but really we have some decent stuff considering he was only playing for a couple of years with Ozzy.

I guess for me the main motivator is to see him play some of the favorites off Diary in clear view. Aside from that I can't think of much else.

I would be more interested in an interview that was video taped. Now that would be great.

Post subject: Re: Why do you want to see new Randy Rhoads footage?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm 
Cool Member

Remember the Ozzy concert on MTV with Brad Gillis. Now imagine if it had been RR instead. I know it probably does not exist, but that is what I would like to see. One really well filmed DOM show with Randy is my dream. I personally appreciate the box set stuff, but honestly the Palladium stuff is really nothing special because of the washed out 8mm and partial songs. New Mexico is like a horrible tease that is just enough to make you sick there is not something better. In the end sure having what we have is better than nothing, although I do not agree with the premise there is any kind of truly exceptional footage of Randy. After Hours of course is the best. It was poorly produced and is without the total spectacle a full DOM show would provide.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 pm 
Madman

distortionplus wrote:
Remember the Ozzy concert on MTV with Brad Gillis. Now imagine if it had been RR instead. I know it probably does not exist, but that is what I would like to see. One really well filmed DOM show with Randy is my dream. I personally appreciate the box set stuff, but honestly the Palladium stuff is really nothing special because of the washed out 8mm and partial songs. New Mexico is like a horrible tease that is just enough to make you sick there is not something better. In the end sure having what we have is better than nothing, although I do not agree with the premise there is any kind of truly exceptional footage of Randy. After Hours of course is the best. It was poorly produced and is without the total spectacle a full DOM show would provide.

Dude After Hours is incredible, sure they hit Rudy at some bad times but come on man. The camera is feet from Randy, anyone who says After Hours isn't gold is jaded as fook.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 pm 

orion_damage wrote:
Dude After Hours is incredible
+1
It's gold but we got used to it and forget to realize.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:27 am 
Cool Member

I said "After Hours is of course the best we have. It was poorly produced, and lacked the spectacle of a Diary show. The best we have and lacking the spectacle of a live pro shot concert on the big stage. I don't see how you can argue with those statements. After Hours was poorly produced and edited. It's jokingly bad in numerous places. Like hey let's get these guys to come in and do a show. Any of you guys ever filmed a band before? Nope! No problem we will wing it. Hell did not the band members kind of think it was a joke to begin with. As an artifact of Randy playing live with Ozzy it's precious as gold to us considering we have nothing better. If there was a complete pro shot concert with Randy you would not be watching the After Hours footage much or saying how great it is. I have been watching the After Hours show since the mid to late 80's forgive me if I am a little burnt out on it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm 
Madman

distortionplus wrote:
although I do not agree with the premise there is any kind of truly exceptional footage of Randy

I would consider the After Hours footage exceptional. The camera is literally feet from the guy showing his technique in crystal clear image. Yes it's not perfect but it is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm 
Cool Member

Maybe my standards are to high. My main complaint is when it cuts to Randy well after a solo section has started, and cheesy slow motion effects. I guess they didn't have enough cameras. At least always have a frontal wide shot you can fall back on during editing. Common sense should tell you the focus always needs to be on lead instruments and the singer when you have a limited number cameras. No offense to bass players or drummers, keyboardist etc., but other than the band wide shot you don't need to focus on them especially when you don't know when the solos start. Nothing to me is more irritating than when solos start and the camera is on another band member then it cuts to the soloist. The cameraman filming the New Mexico box set footage had no common sense or was placed on the bass player side of the stage for some other reason. Only an idiot would set up on the bass player side of the stage on purpose! The guitarest side of the stage is where the action is at a rock show. What awful luck we have had. The New Mexico show videoed from Randy's side of the stage would have been spectacular.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am 

distortionplus wrote:
I said "After Hours is of course the best we have. It was poorly produced, and lacked the spectacle of a Diary show. The best we have and lacking the spectacle of a live pro shot concert on the big stage. I don't see how you can argue with those statements. After Hours was poorly produced and edited. It's jokingly bad in numerous places. Like hey let's get these guys to come in and do a show. Any of you guys ever filmed a band before? Nope! No problem we will wing it. Hell did not the band members kind of think it was a joke to begin with. As an artifact of Randy playing live with Ozzy it's precious as gold to us considering we have nothing better. If there was a complete pro shot concert with Randy you would not be watching the After Hours footage much or saying how great it is. I have been watching the After Hours show since the mid to late 80's forgive me if I am a little burnt out on it.
I fully understand your thoughts no worries!
But lets turn it the other around: lets say we had one or maybe two pro-shot concerts with Randy and nothing else. BUT there were rumours about 20 min pro-footage in a small studio with the cam almost on Randy's fingers. How bad would you want to see it....!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For me their are song I want to see being played, and I still don't believe that at the height of his rise to recognition that he wasn't filmed more.
Although I primarily would love more live shows to surface and most importantly see the O's release the 1980 Southampton show which came so close to being released with 30th anniversary box set.

Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]