Why not the Strat?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Randy had a three pick up SG and a three pick up Black Beauty, as well as the Black, White Jacksons, the LP, & the Sandoval. The sixth would be an acoustic methinks. However, depending on when the interview was done, there could be more.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Follis wrote:Randy had a three pick up SG and a three pick up Black Beauty, as well as the Black, White Jacksons, the LP, & the Sandoval. The sixth would be an acoustic methinks. However, depending on when the interview was done, there could be more.
He had a 12 string Firebird I think.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Ell wrote:
Follis wrote:Randy had a three pick up SG and a three pick up Black Beauty, as well as the Black, White Jacksons, the LP, & the Sandoval. The sixth would be an acoustic methinks. However, depending on when the interview was done, there could be more.
He had a 12 string Firebird I think.
That was rented or the studio's or Max Norman's or someone elses, like the strat.
Stiltzkin

Re: Why not the Strat?

Post by Stiltzkin »

SixPounder wrote:
Trigger wrote:I know Randy had a Strat but does anyone know why he stopped playing Strats and went on to Les Pauls? Did he use a Strat on the 2 QR albums?

I could be wrong but I just wanted to get more info on his use of Strats. :D
He used an SG first, and he kept breaking strings and having problems with it, so Kevin and the manager?

Went to guitar World and got him the Les Paul
so, he went from Gibson to Gibson ;) maybe he didn't like the stiffer Fender 25.5" scale?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote:
so, he went from Gibson to Gibson ;) maybe he didn't like the stiffer Fender 25.5" scale?
but then he went and had 3 guitars made with the fender scale lenght :wink: :wink:
baconstealer1

Post by baconstealer1 »

I remember reading in an interview with Kevin Dubrew that Randy used that strat on one song on one of the quiet riot albums for a solo. I also remember reading in an interview with randy that he loved strats but they didn't cut it for Ozzy's music.
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I have read the same interview, a GuitarPlayer interview i believe. He said that he had bought a few vintage strats but the single coils werent thick enough for Ozzy's sound. If he really liked them he could have done what Eddie did with them as it was already starting to get popular by then, however he wanted to be original so thats why he got the Jacksons likely. He said that he wanted Gibson sound with a Fender feel from his Jacksons and by getting Jackson he was being original with his own designed guitar while still having the "super strat" concept of mixing Fender and Gibson.
dinomite
Cool Member

Re:

Post by dinomite »

Stiltzkin wrote:
skezza wrote:probably yep. I think the humbucker made a strat stop sounding like a strat!
indeed.
nothing bad with humbuckers though :)
just that a strat should have 3 singlecoils ...
but I admire Eddie for his innovative ideas :D
Edit: I'm a dickhead and didn't read how old the thread was when I posted! haha.

But I agree, he was getting compared to Eddie by everyone back then and wanted to stay original, playing a strat (at least live) wouldn't have been on the table.

I'd love to know which QR songs (or which parts) a strat is featured.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I have a strat with a humbucker and 2 single coils , it takes some getting used to but it does everything.....Rhoads couldve easily used a double fat strat or just 1 humbucker for his sound if they had been around then .....evh managed it with just 1 humbucker....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

mojopin70 wrote:I have a strat with a humbucker and 2 single coils , it takes some getting used to but it does everything.....Rhoads couldve easily used a double fat strat or just 1 humbucker for his sound if they had been around then .....evh managed it with just 1 humbucker....
he could have but les pauls are just better

:mrgreen: :fish:
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

sytharnia wrote:he could have but les pauls are just better
...or...are they? 8) :lol:
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Haha! Obviously it comes down to preference and what you want to get out the guitar. I like my guitars to be on the heavier side, hence I actually prefer playing my Les Paul to most others. I don't know what it is, I just feel like I have a little more control over the guitar when it's that little bit larger and heavier.

But yeah, Gibson Les Pauls piss over Fender Strats any day and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise! :D
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

pfft :lol:
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I have a coupe of really heavy super strats so I have the best of both worlds.......

V's rule all though :twisted: