weird feeling while whatching After Hours

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: weird feeling while whatching After Hours

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I remember the first time i heard a soundboard cassette tape of Montreal 1981 thats the KBFH live show?. I was absolutely amazed at the quality and when Randy's solos kick in and the volume pedal got hit. Shit it was like being at a live show,with the headphones on Rockin out in my bedroom.
I remember the first time I heard the radio broadcast on cassette. What struck me was the moment of silence during Randy's Suicide solo... he'd end a phrase and there'd be a momentary pause before the crowd erupted, like they were stunned by what they'd heard.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I remember the first time i heard a soundboard cassette tape of Montreal 1981 thats the KBFH live show?. I was absolutely amazed at the quality and when Randy's solos kick in and the volume pedal got hit. Shit it was like being at a live show,with the headphones on Rockin out in my bedroom.
I remember the first time I heard the radio broadcast on cassette. What struck me was the moment of silence during Randy's Suicide solo... he'd end a phrase and there'd be a momentary pause before the crowd erupted, like they were stunned by what they'd heard.
I had exactly the same feeling! With headphones it sounds so alive, it's like being there! That KBFH broadcast is really a unique recording!
And yep Paul, I think back in 1981 for many people hearing a solo like that live in concert must have been indeed a stunning experience! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
JC1305us

Post by JC1305us »

Funny, after the initial silence whe he was done with his solo, I'd always say to myself, 'Scream you bastards! He'll be gone in the blink of an eye!'
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've long been a fan of Randy's. He helped motivate as a young player when Blizzard first came out in 1980. I was first turned on to the after hours footage in the mid 80's(still have my original copy on VHS)and was completely blown away then and now as well. During the mid 80's I began to look to other players for inspiration and stumbled upon a young player by the name of Doug Aldrich. I have followed Doug's career ever since knowing that there was an uncanny likeness to someone in playing and likeness. Many years later I find out that he had actually met Randy when first moved to L.A. in '81. In April I had the great opportunity to meet Doug and the first thing I said to him was I want to shake the hand that shook Randy Rhoads' hand. He was so blown away. Just saw Doug 2 wks ago in Maryland and he still remembered that. He said Randy was the best. Awesome dude Doug Aldrich is and highly respectable of Randy.