Randy Rhoads vs Mark Tremonti on Guitar world Poll Go vote!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

distortionplus
Cool Member

Re: Randy Rhoads vs Mark Tremonti on Guitar world Poll Go vo

Post by distortionplus »

M.T. has made some good music and I would rate him as a decent player. These polls are so stupid in my opinion. Much of it boils down to a popularity contest. My guess Slash will be near the top and while he has made some great, and memorable music over his career I have never considered him a player worthy of his popularity. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that think he's a guitar god.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
quinnsryche

Post by quinnsryche »

ok, i"ll agree to that.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alex wrote:
quinnsryche wrote:Looked him up and watched him. Yawn..... typical boring, uninspired playing as with most of today's players.
Not uninspired or boring. Just not your cup of tea.

Well said, Alex.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Personal preference is part of it.
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

of course we all like Randy 'round these parts.

But Mark Tremonti is a phenomenal guitar player....not to mention a great ambassador of the instrument and a real, down-to-earth nice guy - one of the few.
His new album in excellent.
infoleather

Post by infoleather »

I do not agree, is one of the best guitar player, I do not agree that music is a competition.
The Vintage leather satchel bags for men are generally hand made, therefore it will take more time to make Black chain strap bag in general
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

infoleather wrote:I do not agree, is one of the best guitar player, I do not agree that music is a competition.

Who is one of the best players that you don't agree about? Also, are you saying that you do agree that music is not a competition?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I think people should study their instruments but they should also be able to write a great song. I just wanted Randy to get the respect he deserves. More than likely I will be posting when he is up against someone else.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:I just wanted Randy to get the respect he deserves.
I think he does get the respect he deserves. Anyone who posts these 'who is better' things around the 'Net simply don't understand music.

Picking up the Pieces, Crazy Train & Revelation (Mother Earth) are all great songs. The solos would be meaningless with out the songs to contain them. At the same time, Breaking the Law, Smells Like Teen Spirit and Blitzkrieg Bop are all great songs as well, without solos.

Too many people get hung up on who can play the fastest, most complicated solos and say they are 'the best'. Yet 99% of the time, those guys can't write, good, catchy songs. The Beatles wrote some of the most popular rock songs ever, and are never considered in great guitar player 'contests'.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

While I think the who's better than who polls are not very accurate, as well as being generally popularity contest. I differ with your "don't understand music" statement. It is a guitar oriented site and magazine. Not a song writers website. It caters to people who are interested in virtuoso players not those who pen the best songs with the catchest hook, or most profound lyrics.

I totally agree that many guitarist can write fantasic instrumental pieces, but can't seem to make a profound statement in the context of a 3:30 song with lyrics or for that matter write lyrics. Joe Satriani with Chicken Foot has kind of disappointed me in this way. He has written fantastic instrumental albums, and as much as I love his solo work he might as well be just another Joe Blow guitarist playing with Chicken Foot. Very ho hum to me. Randy on the other hand worked in the context of songs structured for radio and did that very well! I also believe he would have been steller at the instrumental Shred type stuff had he lived. He was the total package!
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I might also remark that Mark's playing is boring compared to Randy's. If you listen to both and can't hear that it is, then no offense, your deaf!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

distortionplus wrote:I might also remark that Mark's playing is boring compared to Randy's. If you listen to both and can't hear that it is, then no offense, your deaf!
See, that's my point. Your opinion is that Randy was better and talk down people who disagree ("you're deaf"), making it a contest as to who is better.

So what if it's a guitar player's magazine and site. Magazines are published by people who like to be authorities on subjects, in this case, guitar playing... so the self appointed 'authorities' (as in knowledgeable) publish 'who is better polls. So in my opinion the magazine and the site are suspect because they indulge in popularity contests.

You don't have to agree, we each have our own point of view. I respect yours, but I disagree with it.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Paul just so you know George Harrison is on that poll and I voted for him. I'm a fan as I'm a fan of ace . I look at the over all in a guitar player. Randy too me had all the qualitys. I think ace should still be on there as well. I love notes being held forever and great vibrato ( ace) and I love arpeggios and 32 second notes too ( randy).
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:Paul just so you know George Harrison is on that poll and I voted for him. I'm a fan as I'm a fan of ace . I look at the over all in a guitar player. Randy too me had all the qualitys. I think ace should still be on there as well. I love notes being held forever and great vibrato ( ace) and I love arpeggios and 32 second notes too ( randy).

Ace was one of the most influential player of the '70's, but by no means a great guitar player. He did get legions to pick up the guitar though.

I never bothered to look at the site in question because I don't like these polls. I can't picture a "Randy Rhoads vs George Harrison" contest being anything but lopsided :D

It all depends on taste. I never cared for Yngwie because I bought the first Alcatrazz record and heard cool songs with cool solos that in no way fit the song. I then dismissed him and never gave a second listen. I like CC Deville because his solos do fit the songs... That was the magic with Ed and Randy, their solos enhanced the song, but didn't take away from the songwriting.