Randy VS. Speak Of The Devil

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Randy VS. Speak Of The Devil

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I could list so many differing accounts by RR associates/band mates etc, of what Randy was supposed to have liked and not liked musically.

For example I read at rrtk by someone (Frank?) that Randy was said to have disliked Jimmy Page's electric guitar playing, but admired his acoustic playing. So when former pupil Janet stayed with me and my wife Suzie (she did some uk gigs a few years back - and we put her up) I asked her if Randy really didn't think much of Jimmy Page's playing. She said something along the lines of "are you kidding? he loved Zeppelin and admired his lead style so much"

As far as Randy's personality goes, there are a lot of contradictory things about Randy too that I would love to hear more about, those kind of idiosyncrasies that as an artist, he was bound to have had in his nature. I don't think stories of even excess, infidelity, mood swings, etc defile an artists true image, but make him/her more interesting! The chance of hearing any true accounts of Randy Rhoads the man; other than that he loved his mum, was a God fearing man etc, are even less than seeing some new footage.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

Well I wouldnt be surprised if he was not keen on page because his lead guitar playing was ver sloppy but as a musician, jimmy page is just a legend!! I actually love sabbath personally and always found it strange that randy did not like playing the sabbath tunes. I can understand randy not liking them because they would be to basic for him. If he did not like sabbath tunes personally, maybe he was not a metal guy, I mean in the end he did prefer classical and thats what he wanted to pursue in the future. Kinda strange considering hes considered as one of the most influential heavy metal guitar players of all time.

On the matter of speak of the devil. I have not listened to nor watched. It never interested me to watch brad gillis hammer out ( Randy ) tunes. I am not saying he would have done a bad job but at the time it just dident fit with me especially with the diary set etc.
Anders Hedman

Post by Anders Hedman »

First time posting here. I agree with all of the different possible reasons for Randy maybe not liking Sabbath tunes, except I don't agree with the guy who thought that maybe Randy's Christian upbringing made Sabbath's lyrics put him off. This is the biggest myth in history of rock - that Sabbath's (with Ozzy) lyrics should be in any way Satanic! On the first LP some songs mention the name Satan and Lucifer and that's about it. Sabbath's lyrics are dark at times, sure, but so were Ozzy's (or Bob's to be accurate) too so I can't see why Sabbath's lyrics in any way should put Randy off.

Regarding the Sabbath songs in Ozzy's set with Randy. I agree that Randy does them good, but what I can't understand is why they did those three songs only for all the tours. It's not like those three were Sabbath's only big numbers. Why didn't they mix those songs up with some other Sabbath tunes?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Anders Hedman wrote:I don't agree with the guy who thought that maybe Randy's Christian upbringing made Sabbath's lyrics put him off. This is the biggest myth in history of rock - that Sabbath's (with Ozzy) lyrics should be in any way Satanic!

First of all, welcome.

Now, saying Sabbath's lyrics could put of a person with a Christian upbringing is NOT the same as claiming the lyrics are Satanic. They sang pro-drug songs which are offensive to many people, Christian and non-Christian alike. They did promote the Satanic image, so saying it's the 'biggest myth in the history of rock' is kinda silly. It's only later that the members of the band grew up and wanted to get away from the whole Satanic image. Ozzy loves to bring up the fact that he's not a Satanist, yet he was more than happy to promote the image on his way up the ladder of stardom.

Having said that, Randy was well known for disliking some bands because he simply didn't like the songs...

Out of curiosity, why'd you pick this old thread for your first post? I mean it's over a year old...
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

The bootlegged MTV show Speak Of The Devil (with Brad Gillis) is officially released on DVD in a few weeks.

Hasn't much to do with Randy but just to let people know. Suits this thread, kinda. :D
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

I'm sure the key to all of this is Ozzy's voice/drinking. Randy was professional to every point - even mentioned with fame it was hard to practice (excerpt from the new Randy book promo). I'm sure that given the chance to finish the tour and go in with a better idea of what was to be,he would have made something epic with what we've been told about - So Tired (idea). Randy was one that gave it his all - Speak Of The Devil would have a lot of people talking "Whoa,freaking awesome. His cover's really did justice but,he took Tommi to a new level without trying to insult him. A true classic album and now Randy and Tommi are talking about a project to be done later." Imagine a tour with say Gus stopping in L.A. and Ozzy announcing "We have a friend of mine that want's to play for us now. I'm sure yer all familiar with him. He helped me make this next song. Everybody get the f*ck up! Ladies and gentleman - Randy Rhoads and his brother Kelle on piano.....thank you" and they do something along the lines of I'm Here For You,Goodbye To Romance.....or do You Said It all (updated).

You have to remember,they did love one another even though Ozzy was a messed up sod. A personal output.....The pain for my friend and brother Brian never fades,just hurt's more as I age. Not a day goes by where I don't think about him and I let everyone know but,I am also very private when it comes to his death and the date he passed. It didn't have to happen. I sadly live with it. :cry:

Sorry family for my ramble. I hope I made some sense?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i got it pcm very nice!!!!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I know this DVD will be the Diary tour show, which I really didn't care for with Brad... the record of Sabbath covers, however, was phenomenal! I can't imagine Randy doing any better than Brad did on those songs. Randy hated Sabbath an would have been playing under protest. Professional or not, if you don't like the music, your heart's not gonna be in it. Brad played those songs like he was loving every minute of it. Symptom of the Universe is just perfect on that record. Brad's playing on Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath is stellar and Never Say Die is excellent as well. He makes Black Sabbath's music fun!
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Yeah Brad was better playing the sabbath song then Randy stuff
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I think BG did great on the SOTD. I bought it when it was released and was impressed, but you can tell he had a template, i.e. I would bet my guitars he listened to sound boards of Randy playing at least those three. BG is not known for fills so much and he uses them everywhere just like Randy did.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

To me one of Randy's greatest live solos is the Children of the Grave one taken from Tribute.
How he makes the guitar squeal and "talk" is incredible.

How the hell does he do those bends on a Les Paul and no whammy bar?

Fantastic playing - a favourite track.

Randy could turn his hand to anything - Speak of the Devil in my opinion would have been more interesting to listen to that Tribute if Randy had played on it.

If only.........
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

I always thought I was cheating on Randy because I looooved SOTD. Lol

I know some people are turned off by Brads whammy tricks, but I still think he gets some massive sounds on the cd/album/cassette/8track/whatever you own, lol.

As for the DVD, very bittersweet. Hard to watch as I know that's supposed to be RR on stage and we'll never see a complete concert like that. Good piece of Ozzy history though.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Randy definitely was influenced by Page. Page isn't underrated but his playing goes from tight to really loose. There is some amazing playing in the early years but some of the latter years live is very sloppy or heroin induced. And what a songwriter. If you listen to the OTM solo, the last part before he brings up the bar is very Pagey a la Heartbreaker. I am amazed at some of the early Randy (Lessons, tapes) playing blues so well! I always thought he created a new style, which he did but he learned the rules before breaking them. Some of the legato runs he does... What is he doing?
I can't really comment on what if's, it's kind of futile. Brad did a great job on SOTD or TOTD (for our English friends) and yes great fills too. One of my favorites and Ozzy's voice is in good form.
Randy was from California and Ozzy said he didn't relate to the whole flower power California hippie trip. Maybe Randy didn't relate to the English doom and gloom thing.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hansolo wrote:I always thought he created a new style, which he did.
which he didn't :!:
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Just listening to SotD 1995 remaster. Max Norman did a superb job, sounds soo great!! Better than any other Ozzy live album.

BTW, are we supposed to believe that Ozzy played the harmonica on The Wizard :?: Any eyewitnesses here? :lol: