What would Randy Rhoads would think about his cult?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

kamalayka
Cool Member

What would Randy Rhoads would think about his cult?

Post by kamalayka »

Why do some people put Randy Rhoads on a pedestal and venerate him? I'm not saying he shouldn't be remembered, or that most of his fans are crazy, but it seems that there is a small percentage of fans that are obsessed with him.

There really is nothing new under the sun when it comes to a guy that's been deceased for thirty years. I don't mean any disrespect towards Randy Rhoads or anybody on this forum, but why do some people venerate the guy like a saint?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: What would Randy Rhoads would think about his cult?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Kelly Garni has said he believes Randy would laugh at those who wear polka dots, etc... From what Frank has told me about Randy, i believe he'd be honored by those who study his playing or were inspired to play because of him. I'd be inclined to agree with Kelly about Randy laughing at the crazy fans obsessed with footage and pictures and Bob Daisley's role in the band.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Hero 'worship' (for lack of a better word) usually happens when someone is able to achieve something others have struggled to do. For me Randy was a teacher first and performer second. I admire his effort to master the guitar. He also performed with a sense of passion that is sorely lacking in many guitar players. I choose to remember Randy because he has many of the personality traits that I can relate to the most. I'm sure everyone has their own reasons...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
mikesline
Cool Member

Post by mikesline »

probably cause his music has stood the test of time,after thirty years musicians still hold his music/talent in hi regards
as for fanz who mimic his look ,that is compliment and another form of appreciating the music,nothing wrong with that.
to me what i see in randy's music is the background he grew up in,his mother is the most knowledgeable musician who
obviously inspired randy to be one of the greatest guitarists that will ever be known.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

TAB wrote:If he were alive we wouldn't be so obsessed over these items and things would be different.
Indeed!

I didn't mean to insinuate that the obsession was bad, just that, apparently, Randy's personality was such that an obsession with a guitar player was funny to him. He was obsessed with the instrument, and from what I have read, he loved all kinds of guitar music and was impressed by anyone who was talented in their genre... (Frank, correct me if I'm wrong here)

Had he lived, he may have jammed with all sorts of players we wouldn't expect, just because he so loved the instrument. I'm picturing Randy playing with Brian Setzer or Brad Paisley here - guys outside the realm of Zakk and the metalhead brigade.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

I'm not only a metal fan. I think his talent would have translated well to many other styles, over time. I wish that somehow his notes that were left to Delores could be translated, but there is no way to tell how they were being interpreted by Randy. I heard that Delores had a hard time figuring out weekday he was working on...oh well. Love both albums either way
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Kelly Garni has said he believes Randy would laugh at those who wear polka dots, etc... From what Frank has told me about Randy, i believe he'd be honored by those who study his playing or were inspired to play because of him. I'd be inclined to agree with Kelly about Randy laughing at the crazy fans obsessed with footage and pictures and Bob Daisley's role in the band.
I would like to think Randy would be saying a lot of what other people say in regards to Bob Daisley, "Pay the man what he's owed in terms of money and respect". Bob's "role" in the band, playing bass, writing the lyrics, and helping to arrange the music, isn't something I'd like to think Randy would laugh about. If Kelly and or Frank think Randy would find the situation Bob found himself in would be something to laugh at, then what are Kelly and or Frank trying to tell us about what kind of person Randy was...??? That bothers me.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Rokket, I didn't say that either Kelly or Frank "think Randy would find the situation Bob found himself in would be something to laugh at". I said I know of Randy's personality based on talkig to these two people.

I also did not say Randy would laugh at Bob or his situation, I said I believe he'd find it comical the way 'fans' (people on this message board, for example) obsess over that subject.

No offense, Rokket, but you need to relax a bit and not take everything so negatively. There's nothing to be bothered about.

I commented on what I believe would happen based on what I've been told about Randy's personality. However, remember, Randy was only 25 when he died. His personality and point of view would likely have changed somewhat with age and experience. So in 2012, who knows how he'd react? Or if he'd react at all?
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

he would smite the non believers down and carry on preaching the gospel of rhoads after all who dosnt preach the gospel will be accursed and no doubt burn in hell for all eternity (about the length of the one show) not putting randy on a pedastel next to god may also be a sin, but on a serious note it happens to alot of folks amy winehouse, jade goody ect, hey maybe even us lot.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Sometimes I think Rokket is Bobs son. :)

Just sayin'
Live Life Stronger Than Death
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Rokket, I didn't say that either Kelly or Frank "think Randy would find the situation Bob found himself in would be something to laugh at". I said I know of Randy's personality based on talkig to these two people.

I also did not say Randy would laugh at Bob or his situation, I said I believe he'd find it comical the way 'fans' (people on this message board, for example) obsess over that subject.

No offense, Rokket, but you need to relax a bit and not take everything so negatively. There's nothing to be bothered about.

I commented on what I believe would happen based on what I've been told about Randy's personality. However, remember, Randy was only 25 when he died. His personality and point of view would likely have changed somewhat with age and experience. So in 2012, who knows how he'd react? Or if he'd react at all?
For sure, relax indeed, I should not read things when I'm extremely tired, I was looking at what you had written as two different views, i.e, laughing at the crazy fans going nuts over new photos etc, and, separate from that,...... laughing at Bob's role in the band.......my mistake, you are correct.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

axeman_12656 wrote:Sometimes I think Rokket is Bobs son. :)

Just sayin'
hahahahaha, I can see that....but no....just a friend.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

rokket wrote:
axeman_12656 wrote:Sometimes I think Rokket is Bobs son. :)

Just sayin'
hahahahaha, I can see that....but no....just a friend.

Bob Daisley? You know Bob Daisley? Holy crap!

It was only today that I found out that there are people on this forum who actually knew Randy Rhoads. The thought never even crossed my mind that people here would know Randy or people associated with him. I guess it is a small world after all!
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

to add to what paul said above, if randy laughed at those fans who wear polka dots, it would only be because he was uncomfortable with that level of fan-dom and didn't know how else to react. every account that i have ever read about those who met him on tour have described a gracious, humble, genuine man. that's the guy that i knew.

my unsolicited opinion of bob daisley is that he speaks the truth about the osbournes dealings with the band and the circumstances surrounding their firing. the idea that the band wasn't 'photogenic' enough (the whole geek conversation between randy and ozzy) smells of b.s.

frank.