Randy's Influences

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Randy's Influences

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

As a guitar teacher I have always wondered where Randy got his inspiration from to write some of his masterpieces. I recently ran into another teacher and he directed me toward one piece that Randy drew some inspiration from to write Diary of a Madman. Leo Brouwer's (1939-) Estudio 6 uses many of the cool chords that are in the intro to Diary of a Madman. There are also two unusual chords that seem to pop up in Killer of Giants. I wonder if Jake E. Lee knew of this piece as well...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

There has been a long debate about the intro to Diary... the concensus is that Randy played Brouwer's etude pretty much verbatim except for the timing. Brouwer even filed a lawsuit from what I've read.

The question is did Randy steal it knowingly or did he play it without thinking?
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Diary of a Madman Intro

I read somewhere that Ozzy heard Randy playing Estusio #6 one day and wanted to use it. Randy said it was already someone else's but Ozzy didn't care. Randy doesn't play it verbatum. I'd say about 3/4 of the entire chord progression is used but it is arranged differently. Randy's version is much cooler. I've always wondered how many chords I can "borrow" before anyone can accuse me of stealing. In truth, every chord progression has been used-at least the ones that sound good to the ear. I think the reason the lawsuit happened was because the chord progression was so unique. What is so funny is that Estudio #6 would probably still be completely unknown today had it never been infused into a classic song.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I agree Randy made me aware of the piece I didn't know anything about it or Leo Brouwer untill Diary.And his take on the chord progression is much better.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Easy Influence

If you ever get an audio/CD recording of Wolf Marshall explaining Randy's style you get some great input on where he drew some of his Classical inspiration from. (Most of you already know this) In Dee there is a quote from Bach's Bouree in E Minor. Great piece...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

is it just me or does anybody else hear a little Brian May in Randy ?

I think Kelle said something about them getting a Queen record
on the jap.DVD :!: :?:
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stiltzkin wrote:is it just me or does anybody else hear a little Brian May in Randy ?
Absolutely!
The structure and feel of the Goodbye to Romance solo is very much like Brian's first solo in Bohemian Rhapsody.

And although they have very different styles both were very analytic and played well structured (composed) solos. For sure there are some simularities probably because they had the same kind of personality as well.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I don't think their styles are that different.

Both have those classical elements with
a blues ground.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stiltzkin wrote:I don't think their styles are that different.

Both have those classical elements with
a blues ground.
For sure there are some simularities but I think they sound very different. But that's very subjective thing. Brian is one of my all time favorites as well. A genius on the guitar really!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Brian May

Brian has great articulation. Every note he plays holds a certain significance towards how he phrases his licks. A "vocal" quality which really grabs your attention. Which Brian May signature licks are "Randyesque" do you think?
Last edited by RR-ElectricAngel on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Re: Brian May

Post by Stiltzkin »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:What Brian May signature licks are "Randyesque" do you think?
I'd say which Randy licks sounds more Brianesque 8)

but anyway ... I can't point out a specific lick, but
noteselection sounds very much alike, from time to time.
therebel67

Post by therebel67 »

Man, I never realized the similarities.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's Influences

WOW! It's been almost 4 years since I started this post. Thought I'd add a different slant to this thread after seeing it for myself. While Randy was influenced musically by many different sources there is an equally interesting influence in image and body language. Realize of course that no one notices this stuff right away (or really cares for that matter) as artists are always bouncing off others for positive feedback. Some people get really bummed out when they discover that their favorite artist might have actually developed or borrowed from outside sources. I don't. Why? Well, in many ways it humanizes them. It tells me they weren't living in a vacuum. Anyway, Randy (as told by those closest to him) did see Ziggy and the Spiders at the Hollywood Palladium. Supposedly, Randy spent the entire set below the stage near Mick Ronson, studying his every move and possibly even his look to some degree. Randy "learned" how to have stage presence by watching Mick's fierce looks, flamboyant style and even some of those beloved dramatic movements which are simply called "shaping". However, I must admit I saw less of Mick's influence as Randy progressed with Ozzy. When I watch the After Hours video I see far more of Randy's personality coming out. Now, I'm sure if I studied Mick for 30 years I could break down where he might have gotten some of those moves. How about Jimi Hendrix? Sure. How about Rod Stewart? Absolutely. Why not some Jimi Page while were at it. It's all good stuff anyway. Everytime I see a windmill motion I always think of Pete Townshend. (I think Kelle Garni did some of those moves if I'm not mistaken). Okay, enough of me trying to explain that it's okay to have influences...see for yourself.
Attachments
Mick Ronson's Moves.jpg
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

I have a friend on another forum that Knew Randy,,Played guitar in a band with Kelle (Doug) Rhoads..(Band Name: Jenele Mcalister) Kelle sang..
And we have talked for an extended amount of time about his memories of Randy, and Being at the Rhoads' home, and Musonia as well...
He stated the same thing as Randy would be right infront of him and watch his every chord shape, and lick as he played...
he also went on to say ..
When ever you was over at the house,,, Randy would set everyone down and he would play his favorite song for them on guitar...MISSISSIPPI QUEEN...( as we all know , Randy was a Leslie West fan also)

What is odd,, (Not to get off the OP's topic)..
I found on Youtube this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn8Pzmx5Vs
Naturally,, this being the first song I learned to play a wee 28 years ago..I had to record this.. then pipe myself into the mix//( I know ,, we have all had this dream before..Jam this song with Ozzy)..
Anyhoo.. while I was finally mixing it.. My friend ( mentioned above ) called me from out of the blue.. and this is when he shared his memories with me...It really was cool..
To be working on such an Iconic song.. and get a phone call from someone that knew him...
ImageImage
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Sounds like "The Secret" (Law of Attraction) at work if you ask me. :D