RR Black Beauty 1968 Les Paul SOLD !!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

RR Black Beauty 1968 Les Paul SOLD !!!

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I posted this up before the site went down. I'm sure this is the very same guitar that John Thomas (Budgie) loaned Randy as a second guitar while on tour with them on the 1980 Blizzard of Ozz UK tour.I wonder how much this sold for ??.The same guitar can be seen in the far right of photo on the left and the same one is being used in the other pic.
ImageImage

http://www.rockstarsguitars.com/budgie/ ... stom-1233/
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Wow! that was a lovely looking guitar, do you have any idea shaun about how much it sold for? I know you said you were not aware of exact numbers.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: RR Black Beauty 1968 Les Paul SOLD !!!

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

http://www.rockstarsguitars.com/categor ... hn-thomas/
I've just noticed another guitar that Randy used which belonged to John Thomas it is now sold at this link here. Check out the guitar at the bottom. You may remember the photo in the Ozzy Osbourne Rockdetector book.
Attachments
Randy Rhoads & JT.jpg
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I posted this up before the site went down. I'm sure this is the very same guitar that John Thomas (Budgie) loaned Randy as a second guitar while on tour with them on the 1980 Blizzard of Ozz UK tour.I wonder how much this sold for ??.The same guitar can be seen in the far right of photo on the left and the same one is being used in the other pic.
ImageImage

http://rockstarsguitars.com/product_det ... &x=0&y=156
There's a pic of Randy with the Les Paul on the 1980 tour I just posted. Although he didn't use it live.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

rokket wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I posted this up before the site went down. I'm sure this is the very same guitar that John Thomas (Budgie) loaned Randy as a second guitar while on tour with them on the 1980 Blizzard of Ozz UK tour.I wonder how much this sold for ??.The same guitar can be seen in the far right of photo on the left and the same one is being used in the other pic.
ImageImage

There's a pic of Randy with the Les Paul on the 1980 tour I just posted. Although he didn't use it live.
Well we can only assume he never used it live unless you went to every gig on the UK tour and can remember every guitar change over. I know it was a second guitar for the dropped down tuning as Randy only had the PDV and his Les paul with him. But a simple photo from one of the UK shows would tell us different. So we can only speculate.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
rokket wrote:
ImageImage

Well we can only assume he never used it live unless you went to every gig on the UK tour and can remember every guitar change over. I know it was a second guitar for the dropped down tuning as Randy only had the PDV and his Les paul with him. But a simple photo from one of the UK shows would tell us different. So we can only speculate.
Would be good to know he used it for sure, but all I've got to go on so far is Bob having no recollection of him using it.
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

So how much did the "68 Custom sell for?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Love seeing pics I haven't seen before..
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Is Randy using a wireless system in this pic? I don't see the cable touching the ground anywhere.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Is Randy using a wireless system in this pic? I don't see the cable touching the ground anywhere.
Randy's lead will be behind his guitar, alot of guitarists put the lead up and behind the guitar strap to make sure the lead doesn't pull out. But i'm sure you do that yourself, Randy never used a wireless system as it effected his tone and we all know how much he was a perfectionist with his sound.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

GuitarJoe wrote:So how much did the "68 Custom sell for?
You'd have to contact the company to find out, i know one of the telephone numbers of one of the guys, he is from my home town in the UK Newcastle upon Tyne. I could give him a ring if you really want to know. :wink:
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
GuitarJoe wrote:So how much did the "68 Custom sell for?
You'd have to contact the company to find out, i know one of the telephone numbers of one of the guys, he is from my home town in the UK Newcastle upon Tyne. I could give him a ring if you really want to know. :wink:
That's very kind of you. Don't make a call on my behalf, but if it happens to come up in conversation yes I would like to know. As you might know, 1968 was the first year Gibson Les Pauls were back in production since 1960 (and no I don't count SG's at Les Pauls hahaha) so the '68 Customs are worth a little bit of coin by themselves. Add on a celebrity owned pedigree (John Thomas) and it would fetch a bit more. However, and this is no offense to John Thomas, I bet if this guitar was marketed as "Randy Rhoads' back-up Les Paul on his 1980 European Tour with Ozzy Osbourne" it would have fetched a good bit more that it did (whatever that figure is). After all, how many Randy fans will ever have the opportunity to own a guitar that Randy played extensively like this one?
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

If I had to guess how much this guitar sold for it would be between 8 and 15 thousand dollars.
IT can be tough to get an idea, depends on how much demand there is for John Thomas products. Also, I am not sure what mods are or were done on the guitar. There are several factors that effect price.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
AndrewT1976 wrote:Is Randy using a wireless system in this pic? I don't see the cable touching the ground anywhere.
Randy's lead will be behind his guitar, alot of guitarists put the lead up and behind the guitar strap to make sure the lead doesn't pull out. But i'm sure you do that yourself, Randy never used a wireless system as it effected his tone and we all know how much he was a perfectionist with his sound.
Really hard to see a cable anywhere on the ground though........could this be one of the times he tried it.....I mean, if he decided that he didn't like them, he must have tried them out?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

rokket wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Really hard to see a cable anywhere on the ground though........could this be one of the times he tried it.....I mean, if he decided that he didn't like them, he must have tried them out?
If you check out the other photos from that collection you'll see the guitar lead. :wink: