Did Jake Like Randy

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Mozart82

Re: Did Jake Like Randy

Post by Mozart82 »

I stumbled across this interview looking through my old guitar books. This is from a GFTPM.
This is what Jake had to say about Randy when asked what he thought about him as a Player.

Jake: " He was one of the few players that came up with his own sound, his own tone, and his style was unique.You could tell it was him. I admire anyone who can do that. Technically he was good; he had a lot of passion in his playing. I thought he was one of the top five guitarist of all time."
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

jesus christ!!!!!!!!jakes a damn good player no doubt,but what the fuck does that have to do with randy bieng an influence on him?jake was broke and probably hittin the peruvian flake while he was trying to make a name for himself on the club circuit..i seriously doubt jake was influenced by randy..enter the gig of a lifetime for any guitarist and boom!he has to learn the songs,deal with fan resentment,learn how to answer questions in interviews(with sharons "guidance"),all the while thinkin where am i in this?let me say it again jake was trying to look out for himself...all this god complex that a few fans have of randy are far fetched and clouded...alot of people say oh randy was an accomplished classical guitarist well no he wasnt...he said it himself and he wasnt selling himself short or bieng modest he was telling the truth...the last 6 months of his life is when he started to take that avenue seriously...too bad we cant hear his progress in that short time span..from the time he recorded dee to the last 6 months he was living i bet there was great improvement..so for the few that have your heads up your ass,regarding randys influence on bob lee jake etc give it a break unless you know what your talking about...do some research before you open your yakker!!!carry on
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

well, my question is answered all i was asking was if he liked him in any way. I doubt he was influenced growing up in the same time before Randy was big, but it sounds like he did like him
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Wow. Easy. Tito, bad night my man? We are amongst friends. This is where we come to bullshirt! I tend not to respond on threads I don't like, nowdays instead on flaming.

I heard Jake was in a conservatory for music. I get how great minds think alike. I love Jake's playing but Randy will always be the pinnacle. And nice quote Mozart82! There a lot of different types of musicians; some learn music, some aren't educated in music but learn chords and riffs by ear (not sure what were doing) and then you have the hustlers... I fall into the 2nd category, I wish it was the first, although there are many different types of players out there. I have always placed value in the song. A great songwriter beats a shredder any day in my book. However, Randy shredding at the end of "Tonight..." GREAT SONG!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Wow maybe we should call sharon for you tito. Sonds like someone is in need of some release.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Lmfao!!!!!!!!na geo I get plenty!!!!@han im cool bro just thinkin out loud
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

slobberface wrote:Don't really see many guitarists out of the last few years mentioning Randy at all, most of the guitar players you see praising Randy these days are guitarists from the 80's and a few from the 90's, ...
I like the fact that Tom Morello mentions Randy in almost every interview he does. i can't stand his politics or care for his playing much but he always mentions Randy as his main influence growing up.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

When Rage first came out, I liked them but thought they were too political. I couldn't wrap my head around the politics. I got laid off in the winter (Nov) '02 and on *MARCH 19, 2003, the U.S. invaded a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, under the guise of "they are going to attack us - another 9/11." "Us the U.S." "So we need to preemptive strike them." "They (Iraqis) want to democracy and the people want to be liberated." So far we have liberated over 100,000 Iraqi men, women and children to thier death as well as American soldiers deaths. I don't support a war where we just invade a country so Halliburton (run by Dick Cheney) and other private contractors can get paid. It got us Trillions in debt and $4 a gallon of gas. When you listen to Rage and look into some of the names of people and motives of a certain government, it is shocking. An then I realized what Zack and Rage was selling was truth and they were taking a risk. When you come out and speak the unattractive truth it is usually met with, "I don't care for that or what his problem?" Or the redneck tie-you-up-in-the-back-of-my-pickup because them northern yankees are liberals that like black people and actually talk to them like they were 5/5ths of a person. So many problems in this world!!!

*Another tragedy on March 19th.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

uhh what the...., for a minute there I thought I was at the Huffington post website...what the hell is all that load of schnitzel above? (whew!).

Anyway, I think whoever that was who was trying to say that Randy did not influence anyone is quite shallow and thoughtless (I tried really hard not to say idiot or moron...how'd I do?). At the time Randy became famous, his style was a new and fresh style. No one before him had combined that mix of explosive elements together in such a flashy, creative, and emotional package. It blew everyone away and influenced very very very many guitarists and other musicians. Some of them were obviously influenced, such as Dimebag who copied virtually everything Randy did and made no attempt to hide his infatuation with Randy. And then there are other newer guitarists who were influenced by guitar players who had been influenced by Randy. The Randy flame does not extinguish simply because someone doesnt say their name in an interview. His revolutionary style and immense impact leaves lasting changes in music and playing that evolve the genre forever. Randy lives on............
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

hansolo wrote:When Rage first came out, I liked them but thought they were too political. I couldn't wrap my head around the politics. I got laid off in the winter (Nov) '02 and on *MARCH 19, 2003, the U.S. invaded a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, under the guise of "they are going to attack us - another 9/11." "Us the U.S." "So we need to preemptive strike them." "They (Iraqis) want to democracy and the people want to be liberated." So far we have liberated over 100,000 Iraqi men, women and children to thier death as well as American soldiers deaths. I don't support a war where we just invade a country so Halliburton (run by Dick Cheney) and other private contractors can get paid. It got us Trillions in debt and $4 a gallon of gas. When you listen to Rage and look into some of the names of people and motives of a certain government, it is shocking. An then I realized what Zack and Rage was selling was truth and they were taking a risk. When you come out and speak the unattractive truth it is usually met with, "I don't care for that or what his problem?" Or the redneck tie-you-up-in-the-back-of-my-pickup because them northern yankees are liberals that like black people and actually talk to them like they were 5/5ths of a person. So many problems in this world!!!

*Another tragedy on March 19th.
not to take this in another direction but it's very simple- oh nevermind. i've been there/done that/know better..
I JUST SIMPLY STATED THAT WHT SOME PEOPLE CALL A GUITAR PLAYER OF A YOUNGER GENERATION REFERRED TO RR AS HIS MAIN INFLUENCE- THAT'S WHAT KEEP YOUNGER PLAYERS INTERESTED.
HOW OFTEN HAVE YA GOOGLED A NAME JUST BECAUSE YOU HEARD IT & WERE INTERESTED? SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT I'M NOT RETYPING ALL THIS.

p.s. I AM A GUN TOTING,BEER DRINKING,2ND AMENDMENT,CONSERVATIVE,DEER EATING,aMERICAN.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I teach guitar on the side. I have a family business that I put alot of hours in so I onlyI take on 4 students at a time. I have been doing this for a long time. To this day kids around 13 to whatever ask me to show them crazy train, mr.crowley,I don't knw,doam, flying high again ect. Some know of randy or just like the songs like most of us 30 odd years ago. He still does matter and does influence. I witness it through me own students.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I met Jake once at a Badlands ( afterwards)concert in bristol england, it was 1992 i think, i asked him if he had ever met Randy, and he said he saw him once at a party but , he was alone and seemed shy and didnt go over to talk , he didnt talk about his playing though because it seemed rude to be asking him about Randys playing after his band just played an awesome show lol.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

slobberface wrote:
And about Jake - he played on the covers of Revelation and Crazy Train from the 'Randy Rhoads Tribute' album (the one from 2000 or whatever) so I think that right there shows that Jake is a fan of Randy's...

more that he needed the money ......
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

fortress wrote:
slobberface wrote:
And about Jake - he played on the covers of Revelation and Crazy Train from the 'Randy Rhoads Tribute' album (the one from 2000 or whatever) so I think that right there shows that Jake is a fan of Randy's...

more that he needed the money ......
It's so strange...
Having heard these tribute songs by Jake a few times
and having heard Jake played them with Ozzy...It's night and day.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

well bernie and brad did a fine job at playing randys parts,so i guess they're fans too YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!