polka dot v guitar build

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

the crush
Cool Member

polka dot v guitar build

Post by the crush »

i am having a local guitar builder build me a randy rhoads polka dot v does anyone know where i can get specs,good pixs or any info i could give to the guy who is gonna build it for me, i know you can order them from gmw and the guy on ebay but the guy who is building it lives close to me so ill be able to check it out when ever and taylor to my needs ect. this will be so awsome to have because i play in a ozzy tribute band (sins of a madman) any info would be great thanks alot dave
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
Stiltzkin

Re: polka dot v guitar build

Post by Stiltzkin »

the crush wrote:i am having a local guitar builder build me a randy rhoads polka dot v does anyone know where i can get specs,good pixs or any info i could give to the guy who is gonna build it for me, i know you can order them from gmw and the guy on ebay but the guy who is building it lives close to me so ill be able to check it out when ever and taylor to my needs ect. this will be so awsome to have because i play in a ozzy tribute band (sins of a madman) any info would be great thanks alot dave
Would you settle for pure cosmetics or do you want
the original specs as well?
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

Stiltzkin wrote:
the crush wrote:i am having a local guitar builder build me a randy rhoads polka dot v does anyone know where i can get specs,good pixs or any info i could give to the guy who is gonna build it for me, i know you can order them from gmw and the guy on ebay but the guy who is building it lives close to me so ill be able to check it out when ever and taylor to my needs ect. this will be so awsome to have because i play in a ozzy tribute band (sins of a madman) any info would be great thanks alot dave
Would you settle for pure cosmetics or do you want
the original specs as well?
well i do want it build to the origional specs kind of but i want a floyd rose and 22 frets but mainly need some real good pixs of one being built and a finished one so i can give to the builder
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Check the archives at tk or ask Anthony (ironface) for help... years ago someone posted blueprints on tk for the concord and the pdv and there were a number of pics such as what you are asking for from when the Jackal guitars were being built as well as Perry Ormsby's guitars, so I'd contact them here.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Check the archives at tk or ask Anthony (ironface) for help... years ago someone posted blueprints on tk for the concord and the pdv and there were a number of pics such as what you are asking for from when the Jackal guitars were being built as well as Perry Ormsby's guitars, so I'd contact them here.
o ok thanks alot ill d that
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Hmm... Chances are you might not like it if it's built to the original specs :(

But anyway...
I remember reading this few years ago,
about a guy in Finland that had a PDV replica
built for him by a Finnish luthier :)

Checkout http://come.to/randall.rhoads and scroll
down to the 'My equipment section' to see info
on how he did it :) use that and change it to your own liking :)
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

Sweet. You're playing at the Ritz on March 16th huh!!!
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

clashradio wrote:
Sweet. You're playing at the Ritz on March 16th huh!!!
Yes we are
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Personally, I'd copy a standard Gibson V, change the headstock and inlays, relocate the jack and switch to the upper wing and rear load it... Gibson V's play so well that copying them with a few alterations would make a great tribute to the Polka Dot V of Randy's.

That said, I hope yours works out well for you.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Personally, I'd copy a standard Gibson V, change the headstock and inlays, relocate the jack and switch to the upper wing and rear load it... Gibson V's play so well that copying them with a few alterations would make a great tribute to the Polka Dot V of Randy's.

That said, I hope yours works out well for you.
If it weren't built that way from the start, I'd say those
modifications are close to impossible!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

What I'm saying is to use the Gibson as the template...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:What I'm saying is to use the Gibson as the template...
That makes more sense :D
It's what Sandoval did so by going that route,
you'd be pretty damn close to the original :D :lol:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Exactly.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

hey thanks for all the great info using gibson v plans sound like a good idea ill keep everyone posted im meeting up with the builder next week thanks again dave
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

I'm pretty sure it was a mighty might v body and the infamous 21 fret danelectro neck.

If its not a 21 fret dano neck or a fender term it's not arhoads pdv IMO.