So Sad...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Re: So Sad...

Post by Stiltzkin »

shred1 wrote:In my opinion, Dimebag now holds the position in terms of being the most prominent 'influence' on the current generation of players.
Rhoads goes back a generation or two. Those albums are 30 years old. Two lifetimes ago for someone who is 15.
either him or Zakk ... or both ... whether you like them or not.
baconstealer1

Post by baconstealer1 »

Well as long as I'm alive I'll keep his legacy alive. And I'm only 15 so his legacy isn't dying anytime soon! I don't give a crap about all this legal stuff. We got his music and that's all that really matters to me.
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

what do you folks see as a proper way to present randys memory? keychains and t-shirts? video that likely doesn't exist? seriously, i'm really curious...what has the family done that is so damnable? what should ozzy do to honor his meal ticket properly? other than his recorded body of work, what do you believe constitutes a proper 'legacy'?

frank.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

My original (first) post came out of what happened with the box set...Sharon and Bob stuff. What would I love to see? What we got - the original 2 CD's restored and remastered to their original quality, but then...versions of both CD's with extended fades (that were going to be done), alternate mixes (No Bone Movies & Steal Away at least), and bonus tracks (You Looking at Me) or outtakes like the RR guitar solo that was included. I feel like a live CD should've been included with each album - Southampton for Blizzard and Montreal or another Diary '82 show with Diary. Ultimately, Randy shined playing live so having Cleveland, Montreal, the cut up "Ozzy Live" show, and Southampton unedited would be fantastic. So, for me, it is about the box set not being "done right" in my opinion. I have the utmost respect for the Rhoads family, so my rant was not at them at all.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

A proper way to present Randy's memory....

Audio and video.

Not bow ties, key chains etc.

I want to see and hear him play.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Randy does live on through us. His name, while I thought was obscure, isn't. I have talked many people about Randy (getting the word out) and in different age groups (into rock music) and they have heard of Randy (large percentage of cool people). Most people don't know or care who Randy was true but there are a lot of people on the planet! Think of this as a secret society... If everyone knew and loved Randy, how boring would it be? Nothing against Randy's memory, of course. But here is this amazing guitar player and it's (QR, BOO, DOAM, Tribute) showing only a shred of his talent. I love hearing lessons, live tapes and outtakes plus what is all still out there "waiting to be had" like new tapes (boot cd's), super 8 (boot dvdr)and hopefully the E.T. '82 filmed dress rehearsal footage. :?:

P.S. - I have had some strange things happen to me on March 19th. See older posts.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

frank wrote:what do you folks see as a proper way to present randys memory? keychains and t-shirts? video that likely doesn't exist? seriously, i'm really curious...what has the family done that is so damnable? what should ozzy do to honor his meal ticket properly? other than his recorded body of work, what do you believe constitutes a proper 'legacy'?

frank.
for one, wine isn't exactly what we had in mind as a legacy pusher for a guy that's known as a monster guitarplayer 8)
hansolo wrote:I love hearing lessons, live tapes and outtakes plus what is all still out there "waiting to be had" like new tapes (boot cd's), super 8 (boot dvdr)and hopefully the E.T. '82 filmed dress rehearsal footage. :?:
yeah, lessons could be another thing. after all, Randy was a teacher so there's bound to be some
teaching material that could be published. There could be picturebooks, maybe unreleased QR material
and rehearsals/outtakes.
Phineas J

Post by Phineas J »

I think if you want Randy to still be viewed by new generations he has to be "marketed" like most current artists. I would love to see...

Bobs grail stuff and what Oz has left made into a product.

Release a live bootleg series for digital download - there are good boots out their that are worthy.

The QR era music and video properly revamped, packaged and sold. (I believe Kevin would have done this!)

Guitar anthology books - QR through Oz - with updated insights and interviews with current players.

New posters and t-shirts - Have you been to a high school lately? Kids support their favorites by networking their influences. It might seem like fluff merchandising, but it isnt to young kids.

A true book about Randy's life. No frills, warts and all.

Oh and how about that documentary that was filmed a while back?????!!!

Any one of these would be a good start IMO.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:what do you folks see as a proper way to present randys memory? keychains and t-shirts? video that likely doesn't exist? seriously, i'm really curious...what has the family done that is so damnable? what should ozzy do to honor his meal ticket properly? other than his recorded body of work, what do you believe constitutes a proper 'legacy'?

frank.

Hi Frank,

The only thing I would like to see added to the music that has already been released would be any demos or practice tapes that show Randy's progress from novice to master. I know this kind of thing wouldn't be a big seller, but I really enjoy hearing the genesis of a song compared to the final outcome. It would be cool to hear more of his lesson tapes as well, I learn a lot from those.

I don't think Randy's family has done anything wrong as far as releasing or not releasing things. I was a little put off by the recent Kelle Rhoads YouTube 'interview' and think that should have been held back from the public. Really though, if his mom doesn't want to release something she considers sub-par, I understand that.

While I'm thinking of it, I would like to thank you for all your insight into Randy Rhoads the person and guitar teacher.

As for t-shirts and key chains and posters, etc. I can live without those...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

The problem with the QR material is, from what I've heard and read,
is that the quality is poor and thus Delores won't let it see the light
of day :(

Take Dimebag for instance. Although it has been 7 years since he passed,
his family and Dean Guitars has done, and still does a great job keeping
his name out there :!:
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Stiltzkin wrote:The problem with the QR material is, from what I've heard and read,
is that the quality is poor and thus Delores won't let it see the light
of day :(

Take Dimebag for instance. Although it has been 7 years since he passed,
his family and Dean Guitars has done, and still does a great job keeping
his name out there :!:

The Rhoads familiy continues to do the memorials and Jackson guitars still run ads with Randy picture on them. The also do the Tribute Concert with RHAODS TO OZZ performing at the Whiskey. Problem is many fans wanna view this as "cashing in" There is no real way to do things for the fans and keep Randy's name out there without many folks believing you're "cashing in". It's a catch22. They (The family, Jackson, Ozzy, Bob and even Kevin DuBrow back in the day) really can't win.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

frank.
Hey Frank,

I find myself thinking along the same lines. Or rather I think what can possibly be done. The thing is maybe we get bitter that many other players, many of them less talented than Randy are held to such high esteem while RR is left out in the cold. Randy has, in spite of death, had a profound effect on a very small group of people. I would argue that he has touched we few, far more than the likes of Hendrix touched the masses. I mean on my part, Randy is the only person I would consider a hero, i don't give a flying fuck about celebrity, I don't know who most 'famous people' are and i work with actors :lol: And I'm more interested in pizza than hendrix (sad-true).

Maybe it is human nature to want to share something we find so special? People do it with all kinds of things... like religion... and Randy is something of a mythical God like figure to many of us. What we all need to understand is that Randy will never be of interest to the public. Never. Why? Randy's popularity is built on outstanding musical ability, flashy guitar playing and his integrity as a human being. The average person can't distinguish one 'flashy player' from another, and try telling most guitarists never mind non-muso's that Randy rocks because his compositional use of things like 'plagal cadences' was amazing! Who the fuck knows what a 'plagal cadence' is?! :lol: :wink: As for personal integrity, well most people are more interested in Slash shitting on a Christmas tree than integrity. Nice stuff doesn't sell. Drugs, sex, rock'n'roll... that does.

And in any case what could be released to further his legacy? Randy wasn't especially huge in 82 he was just starting to make a name for himself. After he died things kind of dried out until Tribute. It's hard to get the ball rolling again after 10, 20, 30 years especially when in all honesty there is nothing much to be released.

PS.
Frank, thanks for the stories years ago when you were a regular on this site. They were strangely inspirational to a young kid starting to find his way into music and the big wide world!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Surely the "Randy Rhoads" story could be made into a movie. It's certainly worthy. It would need the permission of Mrs. Rhoads, and the Osbourne's though.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

rokket wrote:It would need the permission of Mrs. Rhoads.
how accurate would that movie be? 8)
Kel

Post by Kel »

If I may I would like to weigh in just for a moment --

First time I heard Randy I was 13 - got BOO from my little brothers babysitter - musically I was amazed. I had tickets to see Ozzy and Randy but as I recall the Iowa bat thing postponed a date in WI and I didnt get to go...

30 years later I moved to so cal - as a lutheran preacher no less -- and I fufilled a dream

I got to sit with my kids too in the very room Randy taught lessons - it was like sitting at JS BAch's organ!

Kelle was nice and told me things wonderfully little stories about Randy and the family growing up.

Kelle then asked "ask me anyhting you want about Randy" I though about it and said -- "Randy is your brother, I dont want to take your fmily memories from you"
He thnaked me for that --

friends of Randy - whatever we get as far as info we get -- I too would LOVE to hear the genesis of these songs BUT....

so for what its worth - at least we have each other to bounce ideas off and for discussion

y'all have a Merry Christmas
kel :D :D :D :D :D :D
Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum

Kel