burying the hatchet

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

burying the hatchet

Post by axeman_12656 »

I honestly believe that the "initial" idea of the box set was to try and bury the hatchet with Bob and Lee. Think about the evidence. They restore the original bass and drums back on onto the albums. They originally were going to release a live show from South Ampton featuring Bob and Lee as the rhythm section. Also, Sharon mentioned the bonus disc of the guys talking and working on the songs (clearly Bob’s grail tapes).

I think the intent was there to try and work this out... but I think after getting well into the project it was clear neither side wanted to budge or give in at all. Thus we the fans suffer from it. In my opinion both sides are to blame for that. I cleaned up A+ quality show from that lineup would be AMAZING!! We will never hear it.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Sky
Madman

Re: burying the hatchet

Post by Sky »

axeman_12656 wrote:I honestly believe that the "initial" idea of the box set was to try and bury the hatchet with Bob and Lee. Think about the evidence. They restore the original bass and drums back on onto the albums. They originally were going to release a live show from South Ampton featuring Bob and Lee as the rhythm section. Also, Sharon mentioned the bonus disc of the guys talking and working on the songs (clearly Bob’s grail tapes).

I think the intent was there to try and work this out... but I think after getting well into the project it was clear neither side wanted to budge or give in at all. Thus we the fans suffer from it. In my opinion both sides are to blame for that. I cleaned up A+ quality show from that lineup would be AMAZING!! We will never hear it.
And I honestly believe that the Osbournes do as they like and didn't even bother to contact Bob or Lee. It was a smart business move to release the original recordings, the 2002 re-releases were crap.!!!
Bob has said, 'Neither Lee nor I have been contacted, considered or consulted in the decision to re-release the original recordings. I haven't a clue as to what the 'bonus material' might be. As for royalties, we have not been approached for a reconciliation and have been offered and promised nothing.'
I've no reason to doubt his word.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

I’m not so sure the box set was there to bury the hatchet.

Remember when the re-mastered albums were released? There was a wee bit of a pissed off reaction to the albums, they had to be pulled and a sticker added to them explaining, re recorded not re-mastered. They probably did not sell as many units of the raped and sodomised versions as was hoped. Also you should remember very close to when the box set was going to be released Bob said he had no clue what was going on and hoped the original tracks would be re-instated, so no contact with the original artist had been made. A box set with clearly inferior albums to the originals would not be a good business decision.

The live CD we have is a cut and paste job-e. Maybe this is the best quality show they could come up with? I don’t know for sure but it is a possibility. I know; a wee bit of a weak argument but it is a possibility. I suppose it may have been a mislabelled show eh?

As for the live chatter in the studio, the rumour is. Yeah, yeah I know but hear me out. This was passed onto the Ozzy camp by Peter of the documentary fame. Legally they would not be able to use it without Bobs say so. Second it was a rip onto a CD, they would have had to get a hold of the originals to get a far superior quality for release. You can imagine the phone call “hi Bob you cunt give us your recordings” actually that may be a bit tame considering the things Ozzy has called Bob.

As for burying the hatchet between the two parties that is a simple solution for both camps. Ozzy would have to pay the money he owes, in my limited knowledge of the facts it seems he does owe. Conversely Bob will have to deny that he wrote the material as a musician in the blizzard of Ozz band; in my limited of amount of knowledge of that situation, it seems he was in the band and he did write the songs.
baconstealer1

Post by baconstealer1 »

Yeah I think that's right. I just wish we could hear the live tapes :cry:
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Peter seems dodgy at best. The story on Bob's site about him and the documentary make interesting reading. The original recording had to be in the box set, for no other reason than who, honestly, would want the box if they weren't the original recordings!!.

The Osbournes, it seems, wouldn't need permission to release the cd of snippets Bob gave Peter, in good faith, but they would need the master tapes to attain the highest quality. When Bob offered to sit down with Sharon to nut out a fair deal to have them included in the box set, it didn't get any further than Sharon saying, "there won't be a deal, your not getting royalties, you can sell me the tapes and thats it".......

Bob didn't want to do that for two reasons. A- She offered him peanuts for them, and B- what the fans would get would be an edited version making sure it never sounds like the writing team was more Bob and Randy than anyone else.

Bob wants to release them himself, the whole lot, not an Osbournes edited release, they said NO.

For Bob, it's about releasing the tapes so people can actually hear the conversations during the song writing and rehearsal sessions, and hear different versions in there early stages, parts that were dropped and replaced with other parts, alternative lyrics etc.....and hear Randy playing and talking about song structures, ideas etc......for fans, it would be an insight, not just into the writing of those albums, but also somewhat, more of an insight into Randy, Bob, Lee and Ozzy.

The Osbournes just want to make sure that they don't see the light of day, because, in part, it will indeed prove who really put the most work into those songs, and it wasn't Ozzy. They don't want Ozzy fans to hear that.

On a positive note, "The Black Beauty" Bob's signature series bass looks great, both versions. Awesome and unique designs. Very cool.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Box Set = Sharon/Ozzy Money Grab.

Nothing more.

All those plastic surgeries and sparkling white chompers aren't free, you know.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Flogging a dead horse and watching the writers squirm with next to no pay out. The pair of dead beats couldn't even put up a simple photo of the original writing team... If thats a good sign of where to bury the hatchet....yeah into the necks of Ozzy & $haron...pair of cunts.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Flogging a dead horse and watching the writers squirm with next to no pay out. The pair of dead beats couldn't even put up a simple photo of the original writing team... If thats a good sign of where to bury the hatchet....yeah into the necks of Ozzy & $haron...pair of cunts.
Quite simply, Ozzy and Sharon are making and have made a lot of cash from those first two albums and the legacy of playing that Randy left behind. I don't see anything wrong with profiting from that BUT there's a credible and respectful way of doing it and Ozzy and Sharon, overall, have not done it that way.

Show some respect and consideration for the rest of the Blizzard band who, not only were a major part of the first two albums, there creation and success, but who were friends of, and worked with, Randy.

No matter what way you look at it, it's very disrespectful to Randy's memory not to let his Blizzard band mates be a part of remembering him.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

rokket wrote:No matter what way you look at it, it's very disrespectful to Randy's memory not to let his Blizzard band mates be a part of remembering him.
This is the best statement I have heard on this subject in a long long time. And I agree with that. At some point someone has to be the bigger person.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Contrary to popular belief, none of know exactly what went on between Bob, Lee and the Osbournes. We know what each side has said, but none of us were there.

We also know Bob has the ultimate recordings we want to hear and won't share them without making money, so we won't ever hear them. That makes him as much of a "money-grubbing cunt" as Sharon in my book.

Lee, for his part, seems to have moved on and only discusses it when he cannot avoid it. I respect that much more than constantly talking about it and not doing anything about it...

Bob could sell those tapes online and make some money and when Sharon does the 'cease and desist' he could stop... we'd get some audio, he'd get some money, Sharon would get pissed... win win.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

this is one of the best trolling I have seen here....well done axeman
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:this is one of the best trolling I have seen here....well done axeman
So come up with something better to talk about...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Bob could sell those tapes online and make some money and when Sharon does the 'cease and desist' he could stop... we'd get some audio, he'd get some money, Sharon would get pissed... win win.
something tells me that they won't settle for a "simple" 'CAD', rather something that guarantees
a hefty sum of money ... like a big-ass lawsuit maybe 8)
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

sytharnia wrote:this is one of the best trolling I have seen here....well done axeman
Just making conversation.

But I do stand by my opinion.... My opinion is they (The O's and Bob) are both to blame. They both have their own set of faults. Bob and Lee should have received a lot of things (Money, credits, awards) that they have been denied. At the same time I would really love to know how much Bob is asking for the tapes. A very valued member of this board, a good friend of mine, told me Bob asked for a rediculas amount of money for them. NOT royalties, a rediculas amount of money for the tapes. At that point it was just dropped.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

maybe he asked for 50K? :P :lol: