Which peice of Randy's music makes you emotional?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dinomite
Cool Member

Re: Which peice of Randy's music makes you emotional?

Post by dinomite »

For me it's always been the chorus of You Can't Kill Rock and Roll. I just love hearing it come in after he plays the acoustic parts.
I also love the Solo part to Revelation after the Synth/Piano piece, he just rips into this amazing section.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

The after hours mr crowley mixed with the japanese doc. I uploaded it on my youtube account this year for the memorial I think ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMy5FFBDfBM ). Ozzy's words about Randy's death give this solo that extra dimension/feeling of sadness. I always think about this part of the japanese doc on RR days.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

By far, it's the Tribute performance of Goodbye To Romance.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Diary of a Madman stops me in my tracks. It almost puts me in a trance while I'm listening to it. It is so imaginative...

You Can't Kill Rock n Roll uses those amazing jazz-like chords (Badd4 and Aadd2) at the seventh fret position that are so beyond the limiting power chord perfect fifth. I can't believe no one has ever played them on guitar before (that I know of). It's almost like he discovered them, yet they were right there all the time. I always smile when I hear newer artists use those chords because I am certain they must have been inspired by Randy in some way to use them in their songs.

Flying High has some killer use of Flanger on it. Randy had a way of bouncing sounds from left to right (in the aural space) that just seemed fun and cool at the same time. The Solo? Please.....breath taking.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
jckmdcn

Post by jckmdcn »

there are a bunch, but I would say, top 3:

1. Tonight - especially the fade solo, it just leaves you wanting more, but there is no more (except for the extended part they haven't released), it's like Randy is playing to eternity to let him stay, but to no avail.

2. Little Dolls, here it's the lyrics - "no where to run, your fate is in his hands, your time has come, you'll live to his command, I'm warning you, the worst is yet to come, the killer who remains a mystery" and "you never imagined such a fate would follow you, you never thought it was true,
and when it's your time I wonder how, you'll do...." and then comes the incomplete solo!!! how ironic and foreshadowing of the near future

3. YCKRNR - the solo for it's power and the fade for the same reason as no 1. you want more of Randy, but it fades out of existence.

all very emotional, when I don't listen to them for a month or so, it hits me like a ton of bricks. I would say there is deep emotion in every song Randy made with Ozzy and Bob and Lee. I just think these 3 move me the most.
tpriest13

Post by tpriest13 »

the first time I heard the solo on goodbye to romance live I shed a tear and listened to it about a thousand times. here is this slow kinda quiet jam and them BAM is this powerful full sound. that gets me. so does the solo for tonight and of course the interlude in diary of a madman. has such an intense buildup and then like a freight train of riffs comes at you. sheer genius. enough said!!
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

Actually for me its You caint kill rock n roll, i.e you caint kill the legend of randy rhoads and its such an amazing song.
Rhoadsette

Post by Rhoadsette »

Oh god, all of them.
But mostly 'Goodbye To Romance', 'Dee', and 'Diary of a Madman'.
They make me well up and want to cry, the guitar is just so beautiful in them.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Oh, I have loads...

Tonight- The Whole Entire thing
You Can't Kill Rock N' Roll- Basically everything until the last solo.
Mr. Crowley- The Last Solo
Goodbye to Romance- Whole Thing

Can't think about an emotional song from Quiet Riot... All those songs are just rock n roll and that stuff.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

You Can't Kill Rock'N'Roll... is a pretty cheesy song lyrically, but the guitar work is incredibly moving and evocative. Subtle harmonics, fills and the ringing echo throughout give it an ethereal feel. Randy's playing compliments Ozzy's voice wonderfully.

Tonight is a beautiful song... and the guitar playing stands out to me as the potential Randy had in terms of what was to come.
It's an incredibly mature song... and I think the most unique and un-assuming piece.
You listen the Diary album and these two songs are not what are expected at all.

I also have to give a nod to Goodbye to Romance off of Tribute because the guitar is so intense. Gives me goose bumps.
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

There's sections that stick out:

-"Dee" is just a beautiful piece
-The first solo and outro solo of "Mr. Crowley"
-The first time I heard the live version of "I Don't Know", the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.
-The second half of "Revelation" with the quiet interlude and the buildup to the finale
-I love the riff in "Steal Away" right after the first chorus and the solo.
-The little break in "Over the Mountain" solo where he goes crazy with the tremolo (reminds me of Hendrix for some reason)
-The live version of "Flying High" on "Tribute"
-The interlude, heavy as hell riff, solo then back to the heavy as hell riff in "Believer".
-The quiet part of "Little Dolls"
-"Tonight" is just fantastic.
-The acoustic intro and solo to "SATO" (I think that song would have been a fantastic opener)
"DOAM" in its entirety: I think THAT is RR's finest overall moment of composition.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Anything from Blizzard or Diary, but in specific SATO, DOAM, GTR, Tonight, and OTM give me the chills each time I hear them. I feel what Randy was saying and sadly, I get a brief glimpse into some of the things he would have went on to accomplish had he not died so young! :(
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon