Which peice of Randy's music makes you emotional?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fraroc

Which peice of Randy's music makes you emotional?

Post by fraroc »

For me its the musical breakdown in Diary of a Madman. Between 2:30 and 4:10. You have Ozzy singing about demonic possession/mental illness and then you have Randy playing probably the most beautiful acoustic peice you could ever hear. The marching drums give it a very somber effect. Wether it represents a funeral procession or evil soldiers marching down and reigning down destruction. All the possiblilities that this gorgeous acoustic peice can represent makes Diary of a Madman one of Ozzy's deepest songs. Someone on youtube posted that it reminded them of the Columbine school shooting and how the 2 killers decended into mental insanity....

Don't forget the outro solo to Tonight, that is also a very beautiful peice...
AceVader
Cool Member

Re: Which peice of Randy's music makes you emotional?

Post by AceVader »

Id agree with you. DOaM is a masterpiece. I must admit, the lyrical content makes me uncomfortable but Randy's playing and the entire composition is nothing short of amazing. And yes, tonight is one of my favorites as well. You chose some great examples.

One of my favorite Randy moments is the solo to GTR on Tribute. It's utter shred at some points, and at the same time he makes that guitar just sing and wail, LOVE the whole thing live.

I also gotta say the OTM solo. It's ANGRY and nasty. Not what I normally associate with Randy but it kicks ass.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

Too many moments to mention:

The bridge during "Little Dolls", "You Can't Kill Rock And Roll" in general, (as you say) that one section during "Diary Of A Madman", "Tonight" in general..

As far as a more-thrilling sort of emotionalism, yeah, I'd go with "Over The Mountain", "Mr. Crowley", "Flying High Again", "You Said It All"...

I find the 'Diary' album to be the more overall emotional album, actually.

Or, it can be something like "Dee", "Goodbye To Romance" or "Revelation (Mother Earth)": with all of that talent, chops and songwriting ability, Randy's playing still made you Feel, which is sometimes a lot more than you can get from some other guitarists.

Randy was a consummate musician. He left his mark. That's about all you can ask for when you create music: creating greatness to be enjoyed forever.

R.I.P. Randy.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

True. The 'Diary' lyrics are at times pretty dark, but I can go with it on account of the music being so expertly played with so many natural-sounding layers to it, with the guitars, the great bass playing and drumming, as well as Ozzy singing great on the album, as well.

Sample lyrics I've accidentally heard over the years, and somehow prefer them to the real lyrcis:

"Little Dolls": "I'm telling you/ the worst is yet to come" becomes "I'm telling you/ the best is yet to come"

or..

"Diary Of A Madman": "A sickened mind and spirit/the mirror tells me lies" becomes "I sip on wine and spirits/the mirror tells me lies"..

Misheard lyrics can sometimes tweak the listening experience for the better.
The music is so triumphant that it almost calls for the lyrics to be a tad more positive, or optimistic.

Such a brilliant record.
rodgerd

Post by rodgerd »

for me it is during Diary of a Madman at 2:40 when Randy is playing harmonics. Unfortunately you can only hear them on the isolated tracks of Randy only. This section is cool because you can hear randy's fingertips as he's hitting these notes. The harmonics are in the right stereo side and every time i hear them it hits me like a ton of bricks.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

Hearing Randy's fingers slide up and down the frets makes it for me..
It makes things sound more supple, delicate, alive..

Color me kooky, but the ways you can hear Randy playing the acoustic stuff, his fingers on the frets making those sweet-sounding noises: it's as if Randy's acoustic guitar is like a quenching glass of ice water and you're sipping it.. Or, water pouring from a jug, or delicately and elegantly dripping..

I dig it when people employ the sounds of their hands playing an instrument. Those little moments hearing Randy move about on the acoustic stuff: it gives the music so much more personality and identity.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

I have always loved the outro of Goodbye to Romance. The synth part. Also the full last 2 and a half minutes or so of Revelation Mother Earth. The slow instrumental section then into the guitar solo.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
fraroc

Post by fraroc »

axeman_12656 wrote:I have always loved the outro of Goodbye to Romance. The synth part. Also the full last 2 and a half minutes or so of Revelation Mother Earth. The slow instrumental section then into the guitar solo.

I'm still trying to learn how to play the synth part on my Casio keyboard. I love Revelation (Mother Earth) but I personally think Diary of a Madman was more emotionally deep. It would have been so much more fitting if during the 1982 DOAM tour they dropped Revelation and did Diary (the entire song) live.
(even though I have heard rumors that there was either a show rehersal in which Ozzy,Randy,Rudy and Tommy did the entire Diary of a Madman live but It didn't sound good so they dropped it.)
Matlike

Post by Matlike »

Not so much anymore, but when I was around 19 and Tribute was still fairly new around 1991 -92 ish I was mesmerized by the lead breaks and main solo in Suicide Solution and I Don't Know on Tribute, I would get stoned and listen to it and it just blew me away, I was seduced by Randy Rhoads' playing and that whole album really, and I mean album as in LP, there is no comparison to the quality of that original LP of mine, it kills any CD release, it's got serious balls.
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

Little Dolls
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Believer is pretty cool and the song DOAM is a masterpiece and the solo is perfect-The solo on SATO is killer- I still cannot believe what Randy did in his short time and I wonder where did the songs and solos come from-what was his inspiration?
mikesline
Cool Member

Post by mikesline »

dee,cause to have lost a son like she did is beyond words and emotions.
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

For me would have to be dee and diary of a madman when it goes into that amazing clean passage.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

I forgot about "S.A.T.O."...

That whole song is insanely-great.

I wonder if Any tapes are lying around of Randy, Rudy, Don & Tommy rehearsing the remaining five tracks for 'Diary Of A Madman' live?

That one mp3 file of Randy's guitar seminar from 2/2/82, when he plays the riff upon being asked for "Diary Of A Madman": he stops for a second and some guy in the crowd goes, "Keep going!" I dig that.

Even hearing the instrumental live tracks of these songs would make me lose my s*** in the best possible way!
RRFAN123456789

Post by RRFAN123456789 »

The second Mr Crowley solo, Dee, Revelation, Diary, Believer, and Over The Mountain.
RIP
Randy Rhoads
12/6/1956-3/19/1982