no disrespect to George but:

Jake E. Lee > George Lynch

I think Jake has a style all his own.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Re: George Lynch talks about taking place of Randy Rhoads

Post by whoopiecat »

I have a lot of respect for Jake and admire his playing very much, it's too bad he's fallen into near obscurity, as all he's had to say in the new millenium is a covers album and guesting on the newest release from Enuff Z'nuff, (Not sure if he's a permanent member or not.).
I do like George's playing as well, I was never crazy about Dokken, but felt the guitar was the band's best feature.
It's funny he doesn't rate that high with fans, but allegedly both Randy and Eddie thought George was the hottest guitarist in town during the club days, plus he took over the teaching spot Randy vacated at Musonia.
I have to give George credit, as he tried to make it work with Dokken up until 1997 and he continues to write and record new material with Lynch Mob and his own solo stuff. He seems to have a great work ethic.
I sure do miss Jake, though...

~T.
Last edited by whoopiecat on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

All three are great. Its funny though George said Randy copped the FHA tapping section from him but I think George took the Crazy Train intro riff and used it on Mr. Scary.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Voodoo Highway is one of the best albums of the era. Hands down.[/quote][/color]

100 percent agree, alot of people didn't care for Jake's tone on that record, but there is an unbelievable amount of guitar on that album, and I like the fact that his tone as well as that whole album is really raw feeling. To this day I think its the best record Jake has ever made and I think its one of the few records of that era that is truly honest with no "fluff". There is a bootleg dvd of Badlands in Chicago on that tour where Jake is just mind-blowing, he reminds me so much of Stevie Ray Vaughan in that it seems like the guitar is connected to his soul at that show. To me that album is the best representation of Jake as a player, much more so than his work with Ozzy which I love.
Paul Wolfe wrote:
romeorose_rr wrote:Skipping ahead a bit we find this about his Ozzy audition.

He didn't really answer the question... I'd like to hear his thoughts on Randy getting the gig over him & George going to teach in Randy's place at Musonia.

Agree with this to Paul. I've always thought it would be interesting to talk with George because he's one of the few players that really saw the whole scene in L.A. from the ground up. He was there when EVH and Randy came up, and he was there when guys like Jake and Warren came up.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I sure do miss Jake, though...

~T.[/quote]

Me To.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I remember in a interview maybe in Guitar World he said when he took over for Randy a lot of girls quite guitar lessons at Musonia . It may have been when you could send in questions to a guitar player.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Geo Sav wrote:I remember in a interview maybe in Guitar World he said when he took over for Randy a lot of girls quite guitar lessons at Musonia . It may have been when you could send in questions to a guitar player.
Thats funny.

last a saw George was HUGE now. Not fat, but a body builder. Maybe the females would like him better now. lol
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Solos

Post by Solos »

I like George alot... He has a very unique style and has played some great stuff. Lately though, things have gone a little downhill... age creeps up on the best of them!

Jake is great too. I love his work with Ozzy and also his "solo" stuff with Badlands.

More importantly though, I'm waiting to hear Romeo Rose's note for note version of Mr. Crowley. Its been at least three months... you would think he would've learned it by now. Better get practicing boy!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

whoopiecat wrote: I have to give George credit, as he continues to write and record new material with Dokken
gotta correct you there....george's last record with dokken was 1997's shadowlife :wink:
tedeeoo wrote:100 percent agree, alot of people didn't care for Jake's tone on that record, but there is an unbelievable amount of guitar on that album, and I like the fact that his tone as well as that whole album is really raw feeling. To this day I think its the best record Jake has ever made and I think its one of the few records of that era that is truly honest with no "fluff"
agree 100% as well....voodoo highway is the epitome of what badlands was. I think the production was better than on badlands as well....
The guitar playing on songs like 'silver horses' was light years apart from what most other guys were doing at the time as well...My mate has a modded jcm 800 (has the cali mod) and it is voodoo highway tone in a box...bloody awesome just cranking it and playing 'soul stealer' or 'heavens train'
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

gotta correct you there....george's last record with dokken was 1997's shadowlife

Corrected it, thanks for the catch. :wink:
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

Nice to see someone mention Badlands 'Voodoo Highway'. I dig that album, too.

Jake's playing and approach got more raw, bluesier, yet still rocking. Jake's reclusiveness almost borders on the tip of genius: that cat literally just fell off of the map for the most part. You hope it's by choice.. I hope he's well, you know?

That would be some conversation, asking George about how that whole scene was when he, Randy, Eddie VH, Jake & Warren DeMartini were coming up.

That's f'in great, man: how chicks cancelled their guitar lessons in droves after Randy quit 'Musonia' to join Ozzy LOL! 8)
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I will go as far to say that Voodoo Highway is one of my top 3 all-time favorite records, the guitar work on that album is just so great, from both a songwriting perspective and from Jake's solos also, just really well done. If you are a Jake fan, and even if your not but like to watch great guitar players live, you really owe it to yourself to get that bootleg dvd from Chicago 1991, Jake is so on top of his game at that show, as is the rest of the band. You can get it at jakeelee.com, it cost a little (the money goes to keep the site up I beleive) and it is not pro-shot quality, but it is well worth it.