Adrian Vandenberg and Randy

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tedeeoo
Madman

Re: Adrian Vandenberg and Randy

Post by tedeeoo »

Hey Matt,

It's been awhile. Not saying Paul sounds like Randy other than their right hand technique is similar to my ear and that they have an interesting tie (the seminar). As far as Paul musically, if you listen to the whole volume of Paul's work, there is a broad spectrum that he covers, in some respects he covers more ground than Randy because Randy never got the chance. Now did he make the same statement or have the same influence as Randy, yes and no. Those first 2 Ozzy albums are groundbreaking and in alot of respects set the table for what became "shred" guitar, on the other hand, Paul probably taught literally thousands of students through GIT both directly and indirectly. He (Paul) is a legend around the L.A. area just for his years in Racer X, of course you can also say were it not for Randy there would be no Paul Gilbert. Comparing guitar players is like comparing apples and oranges, similar in that they are in the same family,different in the way they taste (so to speak), but both having something to offer if you give them a chance. :lol:

Ted
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Ted

Yes good to 'see' you again on here the matrix

Yeah I realised you weren't referring to Paul and Randy's playing being literally similar ;) I was musing with the idea that perhaps Randy had more of an instinct and musical feel than Gilbert. I have heard a lot of Gilbert's work through the years (as a guitar teacher your ears of course are hearing all kinds of stuff) and I feel yes, Paul Gilbert is a great guitar player, but his compositions not equal to his playing by quite a long shot. I completely hold my hands up and admit that it just my own opinion; I understand others like him and that is wonderful. I actually saw him live a few years back and gave it one last try to enjoy it and it left me unmoved :( ) oh well (sigh lol)

I own thousands of records/cds from Dowland to Madonna to Big Bill Bronzy to Eminem to Elliot Carter to John 5 - so quite a range - I play a few different styles myself too! But like with foods and drinks we cannot like everything in this life, all we can try and do is to develop an empathy and open mind to realise that our experience to something, isn't the definitive version of events!! And damn it LOL not "Apples and Oranges" again - I am determined to get people to change this to "apples and dinosaurs" or "lawnmowers and oranges". (as I said to my mate Tom) apples and oranges are both round, but fruits, both have skin, both vitamin c !! :mrgreen: . Paul and Randy are apples and dinosaurs for sure!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Apples and Dinosaurs, I Love It!!!!! That's actually probably a great analogy of those 2 players, don't get me wrong, I prefer Randy's songwriting in spades over Paul's. Paul has a great love of 70's pop music which shows up in alot of his solo material, I don't really care for it myself. From a purely tecnical standpoint Paul is, and pardon the pun, a T-Rex (sorry I couldn't resist, lol), I personally prefer Paul's playing when he's not really thinking about things and he's just jamming, that's when he's at his best to me. Of course, noboby has to say anything about Randy's playing, he just had that little extra something that made you want to watch and listen. Only the really special players get that and he was one of them.

Why do I have this vision of Godzilla meets Bambi in my head now, must be Apple and Dinosaurs, lol!!!

Good to hear from you Matt :D
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

he he

Chet Atkins and Buckethead is like comparing Combine Harvesters with tooth brushes!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Now we're talking, Chet was the man!!!! Absolutely love his playing and he was one of the true gentlemen you would ever meet. In alot of ways Nashville, Tn. would not exist were it not for the genius of Chet Atkins.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

By the way, check out the Doug Aldrich video interview on iguitarmagazine.com, at around the 4 minute mark he talks a little bit about his Randy Rhoads influence.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

That would be iguitarmag.com, there is also a cool article about the guitars of Ozzy it has a video of someone kind of comparing their approaches to things also (Tony,Randy,Jake,Zakk and Gus)
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Theres a song called Black Leather Maniac by Dr.Mastermind that has Randys tone and chords all over it-- Kurt James plays guitar on it and he is wicked. Its the only recording Ive heard that is close to what RR sounded like..The whole album is good
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Is that the Dr. Mastermind from Shrapnel Records?
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

YES--Think they only put one album out but its pretty cool--Kurt has a Yngwie style on it but on the "Black leather maniac" song he slows down and sounds close to Randy especially with the wah sound..
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

tedeeoo wrote:Adrian was a different player after his injury which occured prior to recording "Slip of the Tongue", he just didn't hit strings as hard as he did when I saw him in 87 and he played alot different to me than he did in Vandenberg. I have the Live from Donington dvd and highly suggest it to any fan of Adrian and Whitesnake (or any Steve Vai fan also), very good dvd, there's even a snippet of David Coverdale singing "Burning Heart". To me, current WS guitarist Doug Aldrich reminds me more of Randy than Adrian ever has, especially when you meet Doug. Very mild-mannered, humble guy, thin like Randy, and although Doug is more blues-based, he even sounds a little like Randy, especially when he does his spotlight solo (Doug does site Randy as an influence also). And its just plain eerie when you are actually watching him live with a Les Paul, he reminded me alot of Randy. Adrian playing wise always reminded me more of Michael Schenker than anyone, just something a little more European about his playing to me. Of course I've read that Randy liked Schenker to so who knows. I love those first 2 Vandenberg records, love the guitar he designed with Peavey even moreso. Great player and looked absolutely incredible onstage.
Yeah, too bad Adrian never reaches his full potential because of that injury.....
Pretty 8) you have one of his guitars! I like the shape of those guitars!

Randy was never an influence for Adrian. But Jeff Beck and EVH definitely are. I also feel Adrian was influenced a lot by Michael Schenker. Though Adrian said he discovered him too late to get really influenced by him. Also the sound Adrian had in the old 'Vandenberg' days had a lot of that old Michael vibe (to me), both used 50W plexi Marshalls then.
btw. Something not many people know, but Ozzy offered him a job when they were supporting Ozzy. But Ozzy was so fucked up when asking so Adrian rejected the offer.... Before that Adrian also spend a couple of days with Thin Lizzy but couldn't stand all the drugs abuse so he left pretty soon. He probably got some 'deja vu' feelings when ozzy asked him. :lol:
Recently there are some rumors of a Vandenberg come back, we'll see!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I know Adrian is feeling better and is able to actually hold a guitar for longer than 15 minutes now, Adrian did have an EVH influence, especially in some of his songwriting on the first 2 records. I also thought the group was somewhat modeled after Van Halen in some respects. David Coverdale even noted the Schenker influence with Adrian. I remember reading something to the effect of, Ozzy was so messed up that he passed out during Adrian's audition, John Sykes kind of had the same expierience with Ozzy.

I actually have 3 of Adrian's guitars but the one in the picture is really special, Peavey only did 2 Signature model Vandenbergs with maple fretboards (they came standard with ebony), both went to Adrian and that guitar is one of them. The other 2 I have are an absolutely killer quilt-top that is so much like a good Les Paul Std. tonewise that its scary and a prototype puzzle that was sent to Adrian for him to show at NAMM and take a few pic's with, it is actually a Vandy Custom with the puzzle graphic, it doesn't have the "dice" inlay like the production model has. I also have 4 Vandy Customs, those are my main guitars and have been for 20+ years, the necks just fit my left hand perfect, and its also cool that Adrian basically designed a "superstrat" Les Paul Custom with those guitars. He has said that the production models were actually better than the prototypes Peavey built for him. I could go on and on..................LOL!!!!!! :lol:
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

tedeeoo wrote:I know Adrian is feeling better and is able to actually hold a guitar for longer than 15 minutes now.

What's wrong with him? I know he had an injury just before Slip Of The Tongue recording sessions but that was 20+ years ago & he's performed on several albums and tours after that. :?
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

I remember when Adrian got that injury: some questionable wrist-snapping exercise where you flail your hand like you're trying to flick something off of it. That had to have been a misery: writing all of these songs with David Coverdale and not being in the position to play them, hence Steve Vai playing all of the guitar parts on Whitesnake's 'Slip Of The Tongue'.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Adrian was involved in an auto accident a few years back and sustained nerve damage in his shoulder as I remember it. He could play fine but could not stand and hold a guitar for very long at all, I can't remember the year exactly other than it was post Whitesnake and Manic Eden.