2 and a half unreleassed songs (Randy)

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shred1
Madman

Re: 2 and a half unreleassed songs (Randy)

Post by shred1 »

Trading on Randy's legacy.......you mean Bob and Lee, or Ozzy and Sharon?

Bob and Lee. Proof?
How about Living Loud? Where they went and recut those old tunes with Steve Morse?
Bob has NOT been quiet about his time with Ozzy/Randy since he left....30 YEARS AGO. Hardly.

Every interview the guy has done since he ultimately ends up talking about Rhoads.

A brand new 'Lee Kerslake album' wouldn't generate much interest. Jam cassettes with Rhoads will generate interest.

See what I mean? The real value there is RR's presence, not Bob and Lee.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Tito wrote:that bob and lee shit is so old!!!!they did 2 great albums bent over and let sharon serve them both!!!whats the problem?they got boned and history is all we got!!!
+1

People need to get over it. The music is ultimately what matters, is it not?
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:Trading on Randy's legacy.......you mean Bob and Lee, or Ozzy and Sharon?

Bob and Lee. Proof?
How about Living Loud? Where they went and recut those old tunes with Steve Morse?
Bob has NOT been quiet about his time with Ozzy/Randy since he left....30 YEARS AGO. Hardly.

Every interview the guy has done since he ultimately ends up talking about Rhoads.

A brand new 'Lee Kerslake album' wouldn't generate much interest. Jam cassettes with Rhoads will generate interest.

See what I mean? The real value there is RR's presence, not Bob and Lee.
You'd hardly call the "Living Loud" project directly aimed at trying to make a dollar from the Rhoads legacy. It wasn't marketed as some kind of tribute to Randy, or anything like it. They didn't get a singer that sounded like Ozzy or a guitarist to copy Randy's style or solos. They didn't market it as some kind of Blizzard or Diary re-make/tribute, they even wrote and played new songs that have nothing to do with their time with Ozzy.

I think at some point a song writer/composer/musician likes to play some of the songs he's had a hand in writting/composing/and arranging.

Is it Bob who always brings up Randy in interviews or is the person doing the interview?, he's always asked about Randy and Ozzy, more so than, "tell us a bit about Ronnie Dio, or Ritchie Blackmore or Gary Moore...etc...etc...you can hardly blame the guy for that.

I think the real value is the songs and all of the people who created them, not just Randy, well thats how it is for me anyway, or I wouldn't bother listening to any Ozzy albums other than BOO or DATM.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

tedeeoo wrote:
sytharnia wrote:actually I would love to hear what jake did while ozzy was in the betty ford clinic......apparently he recorded a whole album of songs with a drum machine and he did the guitars, bass and keyboards (there were no vocals). When ozzy came back they used/re wrote half of them and binned the rest...now that's grail right there 8)

Not to diminish anything about Randy, but I 1000 percent agree with this statement. And I would also add, it would be cool as heck to see the film of the 84 Donington show, for which there is photographic proof that it was filmed. Jake said one time that on his 3rd album with Ozzy he planned to fully explore the vistas of electric guitar, I wonder if he had worked on anything prior to his dismissal/leaving.

Again, not to diminish anything about Randy, these are exciting times for every Randy Rhoads fan, as well as fans of rock guitar in general. Randy was one of the truly influential players in the history of hard rock/heavy metal guitar and its cool to see some of this stuff seeing the light of day. Being the Jake E. Lee fan that I am, I'd love to see some of his stuff as well.
and I agree 1000% with all that to my good man
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

If you have a guitarist the caliber of Steve Morse on board, why not do an 'all new' album with sights set on the future, instead of reheating the past?
Unfortunately... the 'oh my gosh, I didn't know they wrote that' tactic is obvious, to me, any way.

This conversation toggles back and forth between musical 'value' and monetary 'value'.
The 'players' involved in this issue, I am confident, are interested in talking about monetary value.

I read about Bob Daisley saying one of his biggest wishes as a musician was to be involved in the creation of a hugely successful song or album.
Well, it happened.

Another note. Bob seems to be a super nice guy from what I have seen and read.

As to Jake, yep, another monster talent.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:If you have a guitarist the caliber of Steve Morse on board, why not do an 'all new' album with sights set on the future, instead of reheating the past?
Unfortunately... the 'oh my gosh, I didn't know they wrote that' tactic is obvious, to me, any way.

This conversation toggles back and forth between musical 'value' and monetary 'value'.
The 'players' involved in this issue, I am confident, are interested in talking about monetary value.

I read about Bob Daisley saying one of his biggest wishes as a musician was to be involved in the creation of a hugely successful song or album.
Well, it happened.

Another note. Bob seems to be a super nice guy from what I have seen and read.

As to Jake, yep, another monster talent.
They weren't looking at a future, they did write new material but there was never any suggestion that they would stay together working toward the future, it was a one off project they'd been talking about for a while.

Everyone, Bob, Ozzy and anyone else talks about the monetary value, releasing the box set .....if they didn't think it would sell, it wouldn't have happened. The sales pitch for the box set...."you'll get to see unreleased, never before seen footage of Randy Rhoads". How many people would have purchased it if it was simply the re-released vinyl and cd's..??? Not me.

I think Bob's wish as a musician, to be involved in the creation of a hugely successful album happened first in 1977, with the Rainbow album, "Long Live Rock and Roll", even though he didn't play all the bass on the album. If not the album, Rainbow was certainly hugely popular.

Bob is a pretty easy going guy, might not have always been, but then he couldn't have been that bad or Ritchie Blackmore (who was notorius for not getting along with people) wouldn't have had him in the band.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Everyone, Bob, Ozzy and anyone else talks about the monetary value, releasing the box set .....if they didn't think it would sell, it wouldn't have happened.

Living Loud (2003) was a veiled response to the 2002 re-issues snub, Bob has said this.
So the next time someone says this is 'all about the music', we can agree, it is not, really.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:
Everyone, Bob, Ozzy and anyone else talks about the monetary value, releasing the box set .....if they didn't think it would sell, it wouldn't have happened.

Living Loud (2003) was a veiled response to the 2002 re-issues snub, Bob has said this.
So the next time someone says this is 'all about the music', we can agree, it is not, really.
Well if thats true, and I'm not saying it isn't, then personally, I think he did it for the wrong reason. I was always under the assumption that it was something he and Lee had talked about wanting to do at some point, even before the re-issue's in 2002. I'll ask him when he gets back from Italy.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

An interview in the new issue of Bass Player where Blizzard, Diary, Ozzy nor Randy are mentioned:

http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index ... &Itemid=70

According to this interview, Living Loud was not a retaliation to the '02 re-recordings:

Joe: How about Living Loud?
Bob: The Living Loud album came about, my manager in Australia who represents me, gave me a phone call, said Jon was in town, and said why don't I, Jon and Jimmy do an album together? I think Jon was still in Deep Purple or just come out, and I knew Lee Kerslake so there was the band. You see Lee and myself talked about redoing some of the Ozzy songs many years ago. We didn't do those songs in retaliation for what the Osbournes did, we had wanted to do that for quite some time.

http://www.joegeesin.com/bob-daisley.htm

Where had Bob said it was retaliation? Being a bass player myself, and Bob being an influence of mine, I've read or listened to most of the interviews he has done and don't recall him saying this before. Perhaps I missed it...

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Cracks me up when people say OZZY OSBOURNE, one of the most well known ROCK STARS of ALL TIME. uses Randy to cash in. Give me a break I am as big a Randy fan as their is.... but I know reality. Ozzy is one of the best known celebs WORLD WIDE. He doen't need to use Randy's name to make money.

Odd thing... I liked every song on the Living Loud album except the Ozzy covers. lol I wish it would have been all new material.

and def throw me in the crowd that would love some rare Jake E. Lee material.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

I would agree if the Osbournes had released the DVD of footage seperate from the box, but fans had to spend $150.00 in order to see it.
So in a fashion, they did cash in by using Randy's name to sell a product, like it or not. His name may not have been on the box, but the spine graphics were an obvious nod to his PDV.
In 2002 and 2011 they used unreleased live and studio material featuring Randy to sell copies of Blizzard and Diary.
They know that the name Randy Rhoads will move product for them more than any musician that's ever played for them.
I would love for them to delve into the Jake era, but that's a tough nut. This would be the second wave of former musicians who have a problem with the Osbournes, in the form of Jake, Tommy and Phil.

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I would love for them to delve into the Jake era, but that's a tough nut. This would be the second wave of former musicians who have a problem with the Osbournes, in the form of Jake, Tommy and Phil.

~T.[/quote]

Well, it could be I'm not sure. As I understand it, Jake was paid "lump sum" for all of his songwriting contributions, so I don't think there would be an issue with that end of it, and to the best of my knowledge Tommy didn't write. There could be some issues with performance royalties or mechanicals, but I really don't think so, I have always been under the impression that Jake pretty much gave up all of his rights to that end of things when he agreed to do everything for a set amount rather than future royalties. As far as Phil goes, just don't include "SITD", great song but I never cared for his bass work whatsoever.

I'm not really sure Jake has a problem with the Osbournes per se, I think his entire expierience in the music industry (esp. the business side of it) and a few other things have just really soured him on it. I know he will probably never do it, and I've said this before, but he is one person that I would dearly love to see write a book. Not necessarily about just his time with Ozzy, about his entire life, there is alot there even outside of music that would be very interesting to read. Of course, I'd love to see him making music again but that's Jake's choice. Maybe one day we'll see some things come out, I know there are also a few recordings of him with Dio, those would be great to hear as well.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
watersfootball

Post by watersfootball »

this is amazinbg i wanna hear them sooooo bad
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Yeah, Jake and Bob did get the lump sum payout for BATM, I wasn't sure how the credits went for US.
I wasn't sure if the Osbournes would hit any snags if they were to release either the Bark vid from Salt Lake, (or even Donnington!), or the Ultimate Ozzy vid that never got a DVD release.
I suppose it wouldn't be much of a problem now that I think of it, as they released live audio and video featuring Aldridge on the box. I'm curious if they needed to contact him at all concerning his performance or likeness? As I understand it, he hasn't had any sort of contact with them since his last show for the BATM tour in Rio.
Ozzy holds all of the cards in the credit dept. for BATM, but I thought it was weak that they altered Jake's work on that album. One example that comes to mind is the guitar work in R&R Rebel. That killer intro solo before the first verse had been removed.
I owened the '02 remaster briefly in '02, so I cannot recall if anything else was changed.
Aside from using the '02 re-recordings to represent the Rhoads-era, the material from Jake on the Prince of Darkness box is a good example of why this was a missed opportunity.

From BATM:
10. "Bark at the Moon" (live) Osbourne "So Tired" B-side (1983) 4:23
11. "Spiders in the Night" Osbourne Bark at the Moon (1983) 4:28
12. "Rock 'n' Roll Rebel" Osbourne Bark at the Moon (1983) 5:22
13. "You're No Different" Osbourne Bark at the Moon (1983) 5:49
From US:
1. "The Ultimate Sin" (live) Osbourne, Jake E. Lee, Daisley The Ultimate Ozzy (1986) 4:43
2. "Never Know Why" (live) Osbourne, Lee, Daisley The Ultimate Ozzy (1986) 4:43
3. "Thank God for the Bomb" (live) Osbourne, Lee, Daisley The Ultimate Ozzy (1986) 4:00

The exclusion of SITD from this collection and pretending the album doesn't exist is just plain silly on their part.
The song is one of Ozzy's biggest hits...probably one of his biggest on radio before NMT came along. Why is it so hard for them to share credit with anyone? Phil basically has one lousy claim to fame: this song, yet he's been denied that due to greed.
It's very odd that they chose to use the audio from an obsolete home vid to represent US.
The original press release for the legacy recordings makes it sound as though there are more releases to follow, but I'm uncertain as to what they may be.

~T.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

It has always been very obvious to me that Sharon and Ozzy (in particular Sharon), have never really wanted to share any more credit from the money side of things than they absolutely had to. Now if Bob,Lee, Jake or whoever it may have been signed agreements that let the Osbournes basically have all their potential future earnings, then that is their fault not Sharon and Ozzy's. I agree that credit should be given where credit is due, and I especially agree that those albums should not have been altered in any way, but if you sign a contract you are bound to it irregardless of how unfair the terms are.

I have never seen anything where Jake remotely mentioned anything about any of that other than he did say he recieved lump sum payment for writing both BATM and TUS. From what I gather, Bob and Lee's situation was somewhat different in that they were supposed to recieve money they never got, I guess really only Bob,Lee, Sharon and Ozzy know how all that really happened. As far as them "cashing in" on the whole Ozzy/Randy era, well everyone who has left/been dismissed from a famous band does that to an extent, I personally don't feel that Bob and Lee have exploited Randy's name nearly as much as some people have but that's just my take on it.

The only thing that really bothers me about all of it as it relates to Randy is this, Randy from all accounts, was one of the nicest people to grace this planet ever. I don't think he would have ever wanted to see so much trouble made on his account (somewhat, not saying anything is his fault). I think alot of the people involved in trying to keep his memory untarnished have done just the opposite. And I don't mean anyone here, I mean the famous ones. What they all need to realize is Randy was such a special human that he really needs no help, if they can legally put out what is left of his work, the "business" end would take care of itself.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"