unanswered questions : Live footage etc

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

richemms

unanswered questions : Live footage etc

Post by richemms »

Hi All

I'm a frequent follower to this site and there's a few things that we're still not sure about - which have been mentioned by the Ozzy crew and potential footage from Bill Shelley's collection... that apparently has been in negotiations with Sharon.

Sharon, wayyy back in April last year, mentioned 3 films of Randy. One of which was footage with reels that had to be changed every 20mins (not 3 lik ethe NYC footage - which I think is AMAZING BTW!). The second has to be the Paladium Footage and then they talked about a third film of Randy.

WarEagle had also been talking about a private screening of a full concert that was owned by Bill Shelley, and apparently couldn't talk about it as he was in talks with Sharon. Is there a chance we can now know about it? I mean c'mon it's only concert footage and not film of real events that happened in Area 51! Why the secrecy?

And then there's the soundcheck footage - which I believe there's more of. Why only film a soundcheck when you have the whole show that could be done?

There's also the Alberquerque footage. Rudy has always said that he can't ever remember cameras ever being at a show with Randy -- and there we have a cameraman right next to Rudy.

There's more out there!! For sure.

I'm SO happy with the box set -- but now I want more.

Rich
No1UNo
Cool Member

Re: unanswered questions : Live footage etc

Post by No1UNo »

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I think we've heard enough from semi-reliable sources to understand that there IS more footage out there. Whether it will ever be shared with fans and the record buying public is another thing entirely.

I wonder if some of the board members here could unite as a group and solicit footage also, getting in contact with some of these folks to verify its existence, and contributing to a fund to possibly purchase footage from anyone that comes forward? I know that it could cross boundaries into legal issues with the Osbournes, but maybe only if sold for profit. But the bottom line is that our group here could be active in uncovering and verifying the existence of new Randy Rhoads footage & other memorablilia.

A great place to start would be with the rumors and people connected to them. Appropriate folks / Moderators could act as points of contact and negotiators for this group at Ultimate Rhoads, asking potential holders of footage to verify it with short clips that could be shared with all on here, while the entire length of it could be screened for our point people before "negotiations" start. Hey, even if we couldn't afford to buy footage, we could verify its existence and perhaps push the Osbournes or others to be active in buying more of it and hopefully putting it out there.

Then we could start with the tour itinerary and do some research to see if any venue's routintely self-recorded shows during the '81-'82 period for the band or for in-house broadcast or posterity. This gets back to knowing that certain venues and promoters did do this back in the day - exactly what started all the chatter about Bill Graham's Day on the Green video possibly locked away somewhere in Wolfgang's Den. It would be an interesting and fun exercise for those of us so motivated, keeping us busy and possibly yielding some surprises and jewels in the process.

I know...sounds a little far fetched and crazy, but just wanted to share the thought.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I agree. There is more footage.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

There is definitely more footage out there.

Anyone ever seen those DOTG photos taken from the audience?? There are a few video camera men behind the stage filing everything. --Crazy!--
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

AndrewT1976 wrote:There is definitely more footage out there.

Anyone ever seen those DOTG photos taken from the audience?? There are a few video camera men behind the stage filing everything. --Crazy!--
Where ?... I have argued this point until i'm blue in the face. I know that this gig was not filmed ?. I have no evidence of any of the other bands being filmed. I've enough still photographs to say this gig was definately not pro shot. Someone may have a 8mm camera in that crowd. But we could say that about every gig. Did anyone ever spot the guy in the front row at that Palladium gig in 1981 ?.
As far as the first post goes, it sounds good in writing but plenty of fans have been doing this for the last 35+ years. We would of had nothing to see if it hadn't of been for fans chasing leads to footage etc. As far as buying any footage then making it available ?. That's the million dollar question...
This was a good thread explaining the pros and cons of the DOTG 81 possible pro footage. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5159&hilit=Y%26amp% ... p%3BT+DOTG
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

We know there is footage for sure. There is the Phoenix, Arizona show (Silent, yes, but still footage) that has never been released. We've only seen stills of it.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I was going to ask about that Phoenix show awhile back. Are the "stills" the real deal? I mean, how can somebody have such quality and not want to sell it or release it?

I wonder if Dolores Rhoads is holding back on some of the lesser-quality stuff because she doesn't want people to hear Randy at anything less than his best.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

AndrewT1976 wrote:I was going to ask about that Phoenix show awhile back. Are the "stills" the real deal? I mean, how can somebody have such quality and not want to sell it or release it?
They filmed it for their own reasons and just don't want to share it. I hate it, but I understand them.

Not to mention the fact that they may want money for it, but if they release it themselves they'd get in trouble with the Osbournes. The Osbournes may not pay much for it either.

There's also the fact that people may get upset with them (Even though it isn't their fault) for it not having sound, or something else, and they just don't want to have to deal with that for doing something they wanted to do themselves. We all know how everyone exploded about the new footage released a couple months ago.

And yes, the stills we have of it are the real deal. I can't confirm it, because I haven't seen it myself, but there is someone here who has seen the footage and says it is amazing. (I think it is TAB who saw the footage, can't remember)

I mean, we act like we all really want the footage and that it'll be like some sort of holy grail for us fans. Truth is, as soon as it is released, the majority of the fans are going to get angry about it for not being absolutely perfect. It leads right back to the footage the Osbournes released, yes they did hype it heavily, but still. Randy was a nobody then and you couldn't expect high definition recordings, or for them to be focused on Randy at all times. (Though, if I recall correctly, the Phoenix footage IS just on Randy, I can't remember)
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

T.A., (known as TAB here is the member who took and shared the stills), has been a member at both boards for a very long time. He has absolute zero to gain by being dishonest about the stills or about the story behind them.
In his time with the community, he has also been generous in sharing a large and uncommon collection of photos. 8)

Here is the original thread of the story behind the Phoenix footage when he shared it this past winter:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5058&hilit=phoenix

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

..and what would be the incentive now for the O's to fork out the money to get the AZ footage? To go through the expense and time of syncing it to an audio source, plus have god knows how many people to have to sign off on it, throw it out there for sale only to have the price bitched and complained about and then a week later have it all over youtube and every torrent site? Yeah, thats gonna happen. I'd have to bet that any thought of a future release of any new footage was dampened significantly by how the fans reacted to the box set. I doubt we ever see anything official again.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

cableguyxx wrote:..and what would be the incentive now for the O's to fork out the money to get the AZ footage? To go through the expense and time of syncing it to an audio source, plus have god knows how many people to have to sign off on it, throw it out there for sale only to have the price bitched and complained about and then a week later have it all over youtube and every torrent site? Yeah, thats gonna happen. I'd have to bet that any thought of a future release of any new footage was dampened significantly by how the fans reacted to the box set. I doubt we ever see anything official again.
Yeah, it's a shame how people reacted to it.

I loved the footage considering who Randy was at the time (IE, a nobody for the most part). It could have been better, but that's no one's fault. Not the people who filmed them, not any band member's, no one's fault.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I agree. I myself will pay for Randy products. The more any of us purchase items of Randy there will be more of a chance different kind of products could be released of Randy.
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

I can remember reading about 1-2 yrs ago (wether it was on the net or in a guitar magazine) that there were strong rumours/ whispers that an "exclusive group" of people have seen live unreleased footage of Randy - Zakk Wylde being the most noticeable of this group. 1stly - has this "rumour" been confirmed or shot down? & 2nd - if deemed true - was it the footage from this yrs box set?
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

I too think that there still is more video footage. How is it that Peter Margolis found some, then? Perhaps the Osbournes are themselves prepping something for the 30th anniversary of Randy's passing. Perhaps they want to spruce up and restore the footage. I hope that's what's going on there.. I vibe that the Margolis movie comes out to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Randy and that the Osbournes are themselves prepping something. Randy's time with us all was a gift, and any bit of decent live video and audio that can be found and restored: it really should be shared with the world. So many of us never got the chance to experience Randy playing live aside from the audio. The recent dvd in the box set was cool with the Palladium footage and those two songs from New Mexico on the 'Diary' tour. Jimmy Page was saying it took a couple of years to restore and sync up the audio and video for the 'Led Zeppelin' dvd back in '03. The Palladium stuff was as is, an audience recording. Any chance of any of us being able to see the 'Diary Of A Madman' tour with Randy with clear shots of him and the band... Man... I sincerely wish and hope that the Osbournes are quietly restoring any remaining footage of Ozzy and the band with Randy. I accept that we probably won't see anything (if there even is any) footage-wise of Lee and Bob playing live. Any live video and audio from the 'Diary' tour with Randy would be sublime. I so wish for this hunch to be true.. Great question, by the way. Cheers.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

barossadude wrote:I can remember reading about 1-2 yrs ago (wether it was on the net or in a guitar magazine) that there were strong rumours/ whispers that an "exclusive group" of people have seen live unreleased footage of Randy - Zakk Wylde being the most noticeable of this group. 1stly - has this "rumour" been confirmed or shot down? & 2nd - if deemed true - was it the footage from this yrs box set?

It was video from the box set.