Crazy Train: The high life and tragic death of Randy Rhoads

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Re: Crazy Train: The high life and tragic death of Randy Rho

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

What's the best place to order the book from?
(usually no problems, but this time it doesn't work out with Amazon.com..... :x )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

I ordered mine thru Barnes and Noble --took about a week to get it but have not read it yet..
Yut343

Post by Yut343 »

Bah I ordered back in February from Amazon but I still haven't gotten my copy.

Love this board by the way!
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

I ordered from MusicDispatch.com and it was shipped immediately. I'm almost done reading it. I'm 2/3 in.

I hope I'm not being too analytical, but I did notice that Joel mentioned they traveled 2,000 miles from Knoxville to Leesburg. It is mentioned twice and is not correct. From the maps, it is 611.72 miles and it's 9 hours and 41 minutes driving time ... basically ten hours. :)
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Damn research screw-ups! Thanks for letting me know and glad it's hitting the spot :-)
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

It would probally seem like 2000 miles if you where on a bus with Ozzy.. :lol:
cowboys1

Post by cowboys1 »

Thank you Joel for writing one hell of a book about Randy....I loved the insight on his childhood and all the quotes from Delores and Kelle...You did a great job!! I hope the film documentary is still going to come out....
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Thanks man, and I hope so too! :-)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Just go the book two days ago. So far I love it and can't put it down. Joell you da man bro.
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Thanks amigo!
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

SPOILER ALERT:

I finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it very much. I would have to admit that I already knew most of the material or stories from being a huge fan for all of these years. Though there were still some new acecdotes that were surprising. Some very funny and others interesting.

One thing I wanted to mention and I really don't want to spoil it for others, but the comment by Grover Jackson left me confused and a little perturbed. First of all, why would that comment Randy made about money bother Grover so much? Just because it was out of character? How would he know the truth behind what was going on? Maybe Randy was bummed he wasn't getting paid and really needed the money at that time. It's been said countless times that Randy never raised his voice in anger at anyone. Maybe there was more to it. I just didn't like the way Grover explained it. We know Randy wasn't perfect. No one is.

I think this book would be a great read for those fans justing getting to know Randy or never really followed his life in detail like we do at times.
The Flying Dutchman

You make me curious now..., what did Grover say?
Tharg

Post by Tharg »

Grover said:

“It was me, my wife at the time and Mike Eldred, who is now a big wheel over at Fender. The three of us went down to see the dress rehearsal and we were standing with Randy afterwards, and the tour manager Jake Duncan walked up with luggage tags and passes for Randy. It was so uncharacteristic: Randy said ‘When am I gonna get my money?’ very emphatically. We were standing there, and it was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. I honestly didn’t want to hear this. It was so out of character, and it was only in retrospect much later that I realised what a pivotal moment in Ozzy’s career that first tour was. Sharon was wheeling and dealing like the entrepreneur she is, and maybe Randy didn’t quite understand how important this was.”
The Flying Dutchman

Thanks for sharing that Joel!

Makes you wonder huh? We don't know what happened. Maybe Randy was promised some little cash long ago and got a little pissed and tired in the end? Imagine being there with that 'circus' and not having any money to escape it at times when you want.... Though it's this kind of stuff that makes the book (imo) really interesting!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

LMAO!!!!

It could only be bettered if while walking away, Grover thought he heads him mutter "tight fu*ks"

Way to go RR!!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt