Randy's take on Lee Kerslake

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's take on Lee Kerslake

Post by axeman_12656 »

LeapFrog wrote:Actually, Frankie Benalli wrote the triplet part that showed up on "Over the Mountain." The original L.A. band that Ozzy rehearsed with prior to going back to England was Frankie Benalli on drums, Dana Strum on bass and Randy.
I have stated this before also... I read it in an interview with Frankie once a while back. His quot was that Tommy said to him "You wrote it, Lee played it, and I get all the credit for it"

But I have read even in the past few weeks on this board that folks here say they have been informed that Lee did write that. Who knows anymore.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

NicDots wrote:People have the right to think Bob is annoying just as they are allowed to dislike Lee's drumming! It seems to me that this thread was created to disagree with those who dislike Lee. Not everyone is going to agree on everything...trying to convert people to the same view point is futile. No matter how many times one says that Lee is an incredible badass drummer, it won't really change anyone's mind. Now that wasn't meant as a jib at anyone, but I think it's time people agree to disagree on this Bob and Lee stuff.
OH! Nic your so demanding, see me after school.... I'll bring the whip!!!!!! woooooooooshhhhh.....
barkatozz

Post by barkatozz »

As a bass player I have played with the good, the bad, & the ugly of drummers. The bass & drum fit well together on those albums with those 2 guys. Lee is a great drummer. Not over-spectacular but very tight and old school Bonham-style with the single bass triplets. Aldridge kinda cheesed some of that stuff when he played it live. Bob has some of the greatest basslines on those 2 albums that Rudy totally cheesed on when he did them live. Had those 2 played on those albums it would have been a very different result and I really don't think it would've been as good.
www.myspace.com/barkatozzbass
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Dude, I totally agree! Lee and Bob were a perfectly matched rhythm section.

And yes, those albums wouldn't have been nearly as amazing as they are had another rhythm section played.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
NicDots wrote:People have the right to think Bob is annoying just as they are allowed to dislike Lee's drumming! It seems to me that this thread was created to disagree with those who dislike Lee. Not everyone is going to agree on everything...trying to convert people to the same view point is futile. No matter how many times one says that Lee is an incredible badass drummer, it won't really change anyone's mind. Now that wasn't meant as a jib at anyone, but I think it's time people agree to disagree on this Bob and Lee stuff.
OH! Nic your so demanding, see me after school.... I'll bring the whip!!!!!! woooooooooshhhhh.....
LOL, sorry, I was sitting in an airport and was severely jet lagged when I wrote that.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

axeman_12656 wrote:
LeapFrog wrote:Actually, Frankie Benalli wrote the triplet part that showed up on "Over the Mountain." The original L.A. band that Ozzy rehearsed with prior to going back to England was Frankie Benalli on drums, Dana Strum on bass and Randy.
I have stated this before also... I read it in an interview with Frankie once a while back. His quot was that Tommy said to him "You wrote it, Lee played it, and I get all the credit for it"

But I have read even in the past few weeks on this board that folks here say they have been informed that Lee did write that. Who knows anymore.
In an interview (I believe here) Lee said they were his own original drum parts.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3434

Q3

Lee,

Thanks again for doing this. My question: when you guys were recording
Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, were you solely responsible for
coming up with your drum parts and ideas, or did you take any cues from Bob or Randy as far as what they envisioned for the song? For example, the big rolling intro to Over the Mountain. Also, I would like to say that I have
always admired your drumming on S.A.T.O., especially the ride cymbal work.
It ties everything together so nicely. Thanks!
Max
----------------------------------------
ALL DRUM PARTS ARE MY INVENTION !!

That pretty much sums it up, don'tcha think?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

NicDots wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
LOL, sorry, I was sitting in an airport and was severely jet lagged when I wrote that.
Thats strange i was pissed as a rat and not very sober when i came out with that Dominatrix comment LOL!!..Have you been anywhere nice ?.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Rhoads-Fan wrote:
axeman_12656 wrote:

In an interview (I believe here) Lee said they were his own original drum parts.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3434

Q3

Lee,

Thanks again for doing this. My question: when you guys were recording
Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, were you solely responsible for
coming up with your drum parts and ideas, or did you take any cues from Bob or Randy as far as what they envisioned for the song? For example, the big rolling intro to Over the Mountain. Also, I would like to say that I have
always admired your drumming on S.A.T.O., especially the ride cymbal work.
It ties everything together so nicely. Thanks!
Max
ALL DRUM PARTS ARE MY INVENTION !!

That pretty much sums it up, don'tcha think?
I wouldn't go on everything Lee said in that interview. All the replies are brief and he was just going through the questions without any detail or specifics. Or was the room on fire and he needed to get out of there quick ?. I would have to digg out Garry Sharpe Young's book about the early days of the band. I'm sure that does get mentioned about Frankie Banali.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

That is actually a pretty stock drum chop. Well used before by Ian Paice, Carmine and Bonzo.... long before Blizzard of Ozz. A modified version shows up in Seperate Ways by Journey.
Cool chop. Not that original or groundbreaking, that is for sure.
barkatozz

Post by barkatozz »

shred1 wrote:That is actually a pretty stock drum chop. Well used before by Ian Paice, Carmine and Bonzo.... long before Blizzard of Ozz. A modified version shows up in Seperate Ways by Journey.
Cool chop. Not that original or groundbreaking, that is for sure.
Bill Ward does something similar in Rat Salad from Paranoid - 1970
www.myspace.com/barkatozzbass
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Thats strange i was pissed as a rat and not very sober when i came out with that Dominatrix comment LOL!!..Have you been anywhere nice ?.
Estoy en España!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

NicDots wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Estoy en España!!!
España.. una elección agradable de feriado. Visita a amigos y familia? Diviértase y el informe atrás con una foto de usted en el sol. Disfrute de X :wink: It's my second language LOL!!
The One
Cool Member

Post by The One »

Isodee wrote:
AndrewT1976 wrote:There is nothing "average" or "mediocre" about Lee's drumming. His drumming was awesome.
He's a GOD. Especially his work on Uriah Heep's Easy Livin' is phenomenal, I really dig his groove and sound on it. Simply unbelievable stuff.

So true...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Isodee wrote:This pro Lee & Bob shite is getting really old. Change the tune already. :roll:
Why is it "getting old" to praise the guys who helped write the songs?

Just because someone likes Bob and Lee, why can't they also like Rudy and Tommy? It's the age old, "Because I like Randy I have to hate Eddie," bullshit.

That's the tune that needs to be changed.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Isodee wrote:This pro Lee & Bob shite is getting really old. Change the tune already. :roll:
Why is it "getting old" to praise the guys who helped write the songs?.
Have you read this forum lately? People can praise them all they want but they don't need to do it in every single thread like last few months. Make a "Bob & Lee cannot do wrong" thread and talk there how awesome and supreme musicians they are and how much the Osbournes screwed them over. At least I'm tired of reading the same fuckin stories every single day. They can certainly play but it's not like they are reborn Paganini & Mozart who are solely responsible for BOO & DOAM and their success. I guess the day will come when Bob tells the world he actually wrote all the songs, played all instruments and sang on those albums too. And people here believe that without a question.
Paul Wolfe wrote:Just because someone likes Bob and Lee, why can't they also like Rudy and Tommy? It's the age old, "Because I like Randy I have to hate Eddie," bullshit.
Who said they can't? I certainly didn't. I have absolutely nothing against Bob & Lee but people should do a reality check. Blind fanboyism is juvenile and idiotic.