its so much better than TRIBUTE!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Re: its so much better than TRIBUTE!!!

Post by blues_n_cues »

well that kicked ass in a number of ways but...
i've heard a billion randy live w/ the diary backdrop & he obviously couldn't hear himself or (like me) got off in the moment & went off timing for a split second in the middle of a lead... i hear "jags"...
there are screw ups all over the place so i'll blame it on the sound......
i've been playing 30+ years & i can even hear when he's as-libbing & loses the (not so much) train of thought but the harmonic sustain that he was counting on for a certain note.....
i loved the spotlight solo but after QR laughing gad ^& tribute- it's a sorry second. ...i got to see this live too btw/

nuff said on my part...
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

windingrhoads wrote:Well I've listened to it 3 or 4 times all the way through, and the one thing I pick up when listening through headphones is the drums seem off somehow. I would venture to say that I would not be shocked if we found out that the drum track is not Tommy A, but redone by someone else. I have been a drummer for over 20 years and Tommy is one of my all time favs, I have listened to his playing for a very long time. Some of the sections of passes and characteristics that Tommy puts into the tunes were simply not there in my opinion. To my ears it almost sounded like someone else trying to copy what he did, but was not able to do it completely, and let too much of their own style come out in some of those passes during recording. The biggest thing for me was during Revelation Mother Earth, there is some double kick accents throughout some of the sections that Tommy simply didn't do. At least not on the recordings that I have or have heard. Now, it's either someone else or this is a show that was recorded soon after Tommy joined Ozzy's band and was still finding his way in the set. Don't know, but I would be curious to see what the rest of you think about this.

Also, this doesn't sound like a complete show to me, it really sounds like a mix match of various shows. If you allow yourself to really listen to the performances, it seems like they don't all come from the same show, it's like the matched up the drums, vocals and guitar from different shows and pasted them together to create one performance. The audience is what really throws me off because it is not real, or original for that matter. Why do they do this? This won't be purchased by the masses, but the box is purchased from the die hards, so why not leave the original show alone, warts and all? I'd be much happier with that than something that was put together by someone who feels they can determine what I should hear and how I would want it to sound. Bullshit.
I am drummer too of 30+years and though I agree it sounds odd in places I am in no doubt that it is Tommy but I think production has made us think something is odd about the recording! this recording sounds so different to other recordings i nquality I think it makes us over analyze things. BUT I did wonder if because they were recording the band took liberties and tried a few things out so they could listen back to them in a live setting?, I do believe after long contimplattion that additons might have been made during the mastering of the live show. I have noticed a few one offs by Tommy during his 5 year career with Ozzy. Tommy still remains a favorite of mine and he is by far the greatest drummer to have played with Ozzy. AND this is a mix of shows and I think we are getting a range times during the 1981 tour compiled into one show, inc Mr Crowley's intro was from 1980 and the guitar solo sounds very sliced up!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

I have listened to the new live CD through a number of times now, it sounds a bit too choppy for my liking. Do not get me wrong I like it but and this is the big but. The title of this thread is that it is better than tribute. For me tribute has a better flowing quality, it is easier to listen to without the what the fuck just happened there moments.

On the new live CD the atmosphere changes during some songs that twist the ear.

Tribute is better in my opinion.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I agree. I've already started listening to Tribute again. Tribute has better production and better performances. Just my honest opinion.

AND - I still find it weird that the new live album doesn't have No Bone Movies and Goodbye To Romance???

On Tribute, both of those songs were from the Bob/Lee line-up.

How come the new live album doesn't feature the Rudy/Tommy versions of those songs?? Very strange.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I love the live album. But ive noticed a few weird things. Lots of weird vocal things. Some sound like obvious overdubs, and sometimes like in between verses Ozzy will be saying "come on" but before hes finished saying it, another "lets go" comes in. Its hard to explain. As far as musically, the drums did sound a tad odd in places. And the beginning of the solo in Believer sounds flubbed. Either Randy comes in too late, or Tommy and Rudy got off track so Randy kinda waited for them to catch up. Im still really digging it overall though. But yes, it does sound pieced together in spots.

Matt
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

AndrewT1976 wrote:
How come the new live album doesn't feature the Rudy/Tommy versions of those songs?? Very strange.
NBM was done prior to the Clevland show and then returned in late 1981 during the British shows but Tommy and Rudy didn't play GTR untill 30th December 1981 at a live show, this album seems to be gatherd from recordings made between those time frames. To be on this album and performed in a recorded live setting. ie, same night they would have had to have used a source from 30th December to mid February 1982 show to get them. They did make SB recordings at that time because at least two feature in out Boot section but I wonder if the SB recording were considered being as the quality is so poor compared to the recorded statndars of the recorded shows from 1980 and 1981? who knows but a brushed up version of the 15th January 1982 would have been pretty good to have, at least we have a less than perfect version as a boot though!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

I would kill for an official release of a 1980 show (Southampton) and a Diary show. I'm not bitching cause i love the new live album.. but we have 2 official live releases with Randy and they are the same tour.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

would kill yes, to have anything live with bob and lee
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Randy's performance on Crazy Train is out of this world. I think it's the greatest performance I've ever heard from him. The whole new live album is great, but Crazy Train...my goodness!!!!
I have to agree, totally!!! This is the track that I´d put on, if there´s only one song to listen to!!!
Just listen to fills during first chorus!!! Mindblowing!!! At first I thought it´s not even Randy...´cos it sounded just too good!!! This is really great "compilation" of live tracks, if you like. :mrgreen:
Mikel
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Remedylane wrote:I love the live album. But ive noticed a few weird things. Lots of weird vocal things. Some sound like obvious overdubs, and sometimes like in between verses Ozzy will be saying "come on" but before hes finished saying it, another "lets go" comes in. Its hard to explain.
Not really.

Ozzy is shit.

Who woulda ever thought!
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

"ive been thinking about it and i think a major thing contributing tothis is that ozzy's voice isn't all from one day, like it was with the rerecorded vocals on tribute. so they had to copy and paste over vocal errors from other concerts, one they will probably never release a full live 82 album (over the mountain) even if they had millions of recordings of ozzy in the 80s singing that copied and pasted, we would still have messed up lyrics and vocal flubs"

I was checking out Cleveland 5/11/81 radio broadcast for the first time last night. As Ozzy did during that time, he totally f***ed up the lyrics to "Believer".

On 'Tribute', he obviously re-recorded the vocals with the proper lyrics..

If he still had the range, he could have re-did the proper vocals and lyrics for "Over The Mountain" live and I would forgive him for it! He already re-did "Believer" for 'Tribute'. What's another song? If you're going to tamper with overdubs and stuff..

Someone mentioned in here why they chose this Cleveland show for 'Tribute'. My guess is, at the time they put this record together, the band was new and things were looking up. That, and technology available at the time.. Memories of the plane crash were another year ahead.. I sort of get it...

Hearing all these hints of different shows and stuff during 'Ozzy Live'.. There's gotta be more source recordings of these shows.. C'mon Ozz, f*** it: have Jack dump your stash onto the 'net surreptitiously so we can enjoy the spoils genuinely!
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

axeman_12656 wrote:I would kill for an official release of a 1980 show (Southampton) and a Diary show. I'm not bitching cause i love the new live album.. but we have 2 official live releases with Randy and they are the same tour.

Whats the big deal with the south hampAn show what's so speciAl abot that shoW
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

the crush wrote:
axeman_12656 wrote:I would kill for an official release of a 1980 show (Southampton) and a Diary show. I'm not bitching cause i love the new live album.. but we have 2 official live releases with Randy and they are the same tour.

Whats the big deal with the south hampAn show what's so speciAl abot that shoW
Cause its the original Blizzard of Ozz band. Also, they did You Looking At Me Looking At You. If you have never heard a show from 1980 they are fun cause the songs are pretty different. The songs were new and they were still playing with how they were gonna sound live.
tihsyloh

Post by tihsyloh »

Why can't they use the Speak Of The Devil video vocal track for Over The Mountain? I assume he re-recorded the vocals for that show as well. If they had a good multitrack live version with Randy, and that was the only way they could come up with good vocals, then I could live with that.
"But they're not blind, Its just that they won't see."[color=#0040FF][/color]
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

tihsyloh wrote:Why can't they use the Speak Of The Devil video vocal track for Over The Mountain? I assume he re-recorded the vocals for that show as well. If they had a good multitrack live version with Randy, and that was the only way they could come up with good vocals, then I could live with that.
Great point