Bob Daisley's grail stuff.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Bongo Christ

Re: Bob Daisley's grail stuff.

Post by Bongo Christ »

That is by far and away the most concise post I have ever read.

I'm aware that there are members that have far more knowledge than me but 'Blizzard of Ozz' being a band and not an album title is something I have only ever read in Bob's quotes. Interviews with Randy's family and friends that I have read over the years all refer to him becoming Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist. I'll say again that I do not dislike Bob but while reading Joel McIver's book I found his quotes quite disturbing. That may seem an extreme thing to say and I'm prepared to listen to counter arguments but I really didn't like the way he seemed to use Randy to justify himself. After all, as far as I can determine, apart from one phone call, Bob and Randy had no contact with each other after he was sacked.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Bongo Christ wrote:That is by far and away the most concise post I have ever read.

I'm aware that there are members that have far more knowledge than me but 'Blizzard of Ozz' being a band and not an album title is something I have only ever read in Bob's quotes. Interviews with Randy's family and friends that I have read over the years all refer to him becoming Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist. I'll say again that I do not dislike Bob but while reading Joel McIver's book I found his quotes quite disturbing. That may seem an extreme thing to say and I'm prepared to listen to counter arguments but I really didn't like the way he seemed to use Randy to justify himself. After all, as far as I can determine, apart from one phone call, Bob and Randy had no contact with each other after he was sacked.
FYI

"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Love that pic
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Solos

Post by Solos »

I would bet that if Randy hadn't died, the O's would have tried to minimize his contribution as well as time went on.

I also have a hunch after hearing about all these lawsuits, etc... that one of the reasons behind Randy becoming unhappy with his situation were because of the same issues that Daisley and Kerslake had... maybe his input into the "band" was being minimized? Maybe he felt he was being unfairly compensated? Maybe there were guidelines placed on him as to how he should conduct himself during the show? These are questions that will never be answered, and we will never know the truth behind Randy's unhappiness with being in Ozzy's band. The only version we have is the version the Osbournes have told us throughout the years. The Rhoads family probably won't elaborate for obvious reasons.
Bongo Christ

Post by Bongo Christ »

Thanks for that, but it doesn't prove that it wasn't Ozzy's band.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Vtrockgod wrote:We all know that Ozzy Osbourne can't play an instrument and needs others to put songs together. With that being said, Ozzy has a remarkable talent for melodies and has been a part of more classics than most artists have SONGS. Even Ozzy admits that he liked Bob Daisley and that Daisley helped write the lyrics. But what do Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Bob Daisley, Jake E Lee and Zakk Wylde all have in common besides playing with Ozzy? Most of their greatest and most well-known songs were written while with Ozzy. Ozzy's longevity is remarkable and to do so means that he's more than a one trick pony. I think the first two albums are clearly his best solo work, but I also think he has put out solid records throughout the years. The acclaim, record and ticket sales bear out he's either the luckiest man in history or he had a lot to do with it (I favor mainly the latter and some of the former).

I can understand the Osbourne camp's reluctance to work with Daisley: if someone had tried to sue me multiple times, I'd be hesitant to do business too. Wouldn't everyone here as well? Somebody has already posted that there's three sides to every story: we as fans do not know what actually happened. But my hunch is that it's somewhere in between the Daisley and Osbourne version. I have no doubts Sharon can be a total witch to do business with. And I'll bet there's times she was completely right to be so hardnosed. Did I agree with the re-recordings? Absolutely not. But I can understand being so fed up dealing with someone that you attempt to completely minimize them if they're constantly slagging you.

If the Blizzard of Ozz was a band and not a solo act, why did Ozzy have the ability to fire Kerslake and Daisley? Why have the courts consistently sided with the Osbournes? If Daisley was really mistreated that bad, why did he work with Ozzy for on and off over a span of fifteen years? He wasn't a virgin to the harsh realities of the music business and neither was Kerslake. Either Daisley is a masochist, completely incompetent in terms of the business side of music or things aren't completely in sync with how he remembers them. I don't think Bob is either of the first two.

The first lineup was magical: Bob is a rock solid bass player and good with lyrics, Randy was a stellar guitarist and Ozzy has one of the most unique voices in rock. The songs for the first album were pretty much done before Lee came in, but he contributed significantly to the second batch of songs and I actually prefer "Diary" to "Blizzard". I would love to hear what's on the "Grail" tapes because I'm fascinated in the process and how the material evolved. If it's not to be, it's not to be. But I for one am glad we got a killer live cd and more footage of Randy.

I'm glad for anything we get concerning Randy, the stuff is gold. Perhaps one of the difficult things about who or what to believe concerning Ozzy, Bob, and Sharon, is that for years all we've really heard about it has come from Ozzy/Sharon.

The 86 court case was won by Bob and Lee, and they got the payment for royalties owed, and rightly so. But the royalties are suppose to continue. Royalties are not a one off payment, you keep collecting them as the work sells via back catalogue or box set or however they may be released. Royalties are also broken down into sections and percentages, for example.......if you wrote the lyrics, you are entitled to more than say the guy who provided a melody, and if you had a hand in writing and arranging the music, you are entitled to another percentage. That goes for each and every song. The their are live performance, and broadcast royalties.

If you were in a band, i.e...."The Blizzard of Ozz".....and you wrote the lions share of the lyrics and also played a part in arranging and composing the music, you would be entitled to more of the royalties than anyone else in the band, it's that simple.

Why...???? because you've obviously had to do a lot more work, it's that simple.

If I help you build your house, and I build 3 walls, you build one........and then I lay 2000 bricks, and you lay 500........at the end of the day if your pay is $3000 and mine is $500, I'm going to be pissed off......and rightly so.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Bongo Christ wrote:Thanks for that, but it doesn't prove that it wasn't Ozzy's band.

Then why, in the very first promotional photo is the band called "Blizzard Of Ozz"...........???? and the reason they wanted a band name was down to Randy and Bob, they felt that as they were doing the bulk of the lyric writing and music writing, there was no way it was just going to be called "Ozzy Osbourne".....they were doing to much work to be seen as background musicians to a solo artist. And everyone, including Ozzy agreed........and then Sharon came along.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Bob Daisley was a signed Jet Records artist BEFORE Ozzy was, when he was in Widowmaker.
So he already had a relationship with Don Arden - before Sharon took over the 'account'.
Tommy Aldridge was working with Gary Moore at the time, who was also signed to Jet Records during this period.

Again..... something happened in the run up to the US '81 tour that has never been repaired.

The last straw, according to the Osbournes, was Lee and Bob's demands to be payed twice for the Palladium showcase - as they did two shows in one day.

I just hope that the Rhoads 'estate' is receiving their royalties. The claim that Rhoads wanted to 'quit rock'n'roll' rings hollow... From what I can see, Rhoads was a rocker.

I met Tommy Aldridge at a drum clinic a few years ago, and asked him about the Ozzy years. He told a story of a drunken Ozzy taking a dump in a hotel elevator... Sounds funny, but who wants to deal with that on a daily basis?
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Solos wrote:I would bet that if Randy hadn't died, the O's would have tried to minimize his contribution as well as time went on.

I also have a hunch after hearing about all these lawsuits, etc... that one of the reasons behind Randy becoming unhappy with his situation were because of the same issues that Daisley and Kerslake had... maybe his input into the "band" was being minimized? Maybe he felt he was being unfairly compensated? Maybe there were guidelines placed on him as to how he should conduct himself during the show? These are questions that will never be answered, and we will never know the truth behind Randy's unhappiness with being in Ozzy's band. The only version we have is the version the Osbournes have told us throughout the years. The Rhoads family probably won't elaborate for obvious reasons.

Perhaps Randy felt, starting out that he was in a band, "Blizzard Of Ozz", but as time went on, Sharon becomes heavily involved, pushes for the band to be called "Ozzy Osbourne"....featuring, "Ozzy Osbourne of Black Sabbath Fame".......Bob and Lee are fired because they don't see the point in changing the line-up, if it aint broke why fix it, perhaps making Randy feel a little uneasy, regardless that he knew he was talented, but who knows, if another really good guitarist comes out of the woodwork, would he be 'out" as well..???

When you are part of a "Band" it feels great, you feel like you are just as important as everyone else in the band, all on equal footing. But when you play as a musician to a solo artist.....you don't feel like that....you feel the crowd turns up to see "him"....not a "Band".......you don't feel as though your important and that really, anyone half decent with their instrument could replace you and nobody would even really care, because people turn up to see "him".......did anyone really give a hoot who Ozzy had playing bass or drums with him on the Diary tour, as long as they were good..???....I didn't give two hoots.

Does anyone care who plays bass and drums or guitar with him now, as long as they are good...???...I, for one, couldn't care less.

Perhaps being with Ozzy, just ended up being Randy's avenue to become known world wide, to then make it a lot easier to go on and do something that he felt really good about, a real part of, not just playing second fiddle to a solo artist in his band.

I don't know....................
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

My point exactly as to why Sharon turned Ozzy into a cheeseball eventually. If Ozzy would have ignored her, he would have continued with the BOO line up for at least 3-4 albums, and they would have been thrown in the mix of dirty backstreet UK guys with some fancy little doll guitar player. That's what everyone wanted. Nobody wanted the whole "Ozzy-in-drag-looking-like-Bea-Arthur" anyways. WE love it, but the general public doesn't love it. Are albums like BATM, TUS, and NRFTW flying off the shelf?? No. It's cause Ozzy got cheesy when Sharon came along. Ozzy should smell like vomit, wear the tassle shirts, and have totally unwashed hair - ALL THE TIME. End of story. Hahahaha!
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

One of the greatest things about BOO was the tassle shirts. I'll go to my grave thinking that.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

If Ozzy ignored Sharon, we wouldn't be talking about him, or Rhoads today. She rescued him from the brink. Period.
Other record companies passed on Blizzard Of Ozz - including Warner Brothers. Lots of business strings were pulled to get the Blizzard up and running.

Love her or hate her, on the business side, she did make Ozzy happen. No one else was even interested.

Are any albums flying off the shelves these days? Bark At The Moon came out in 1983...
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:Bob Daisley was a signed Jet Records artist BEFORE Ozzy was, when he was in Widowmaker.
So he already had a relationship with Don Arden - before Sharon took over the 'account'.
Tommy Aldridge was working with Gary Moore at the time, who was also signed to Jet Records during this period.

Again..... something happened in the run up to the US '81 tour that has never been repaired.

The last straw, according to the Osbournes, was Lee and Bob's demands to be payed twice for the Palladium showcase - as they did two shows in one day.

I just hope that the Rhoads 'estate' is receiving their royalties. The claim that Rhoads wanted to 'quit rock'n'roll' rings hollow... From what I can see, Rhoads was a rocker.

I met Tommy Aldridge at a drum clinic a few years ago, and asked him about the Ozzy years. He told a story of a drunken Ozzy taking a dump in a hotel elevator... Sounds funny, but who wants to deal with that on a daily basis?

If I did two shows in one day I'd expect to be paid for each show as well.....I could hardly call that unreasonable. If you work two shifts in a day, are you fine if the boss only pays you for one...??? set that standard and you'll be expected to do it all the time...

According to Bob, it all started when Sharon wanted to fire Lee and bring in Tommy Aldridge, who she'd wanted in the band from the start, but couldn't have him because of his commitments elsewhere.

Bob was against the idea of firing Lee for two reasons, one...they worked well together and two.......why fix it if it ain't broken.....!!! Did Lee do such a bad job on Blizzard and Diary...??? So Bob said no, I don't agree.......there's the start of the problem.....Bob still thinks, as do the rest of the band, that they are a "band".and that they all make decisions concerning the band....Sharons already got it in her head that Ozzy is going to be a solo artist......

In the end, they were both fired, for obvious reasons now, Sharon got Tommy and Randy suggested Rudy................it's a this point in time, imo, that Randy probably started to feel like...."mmm yeah...don't know how long I'll be comfortable in this situation, ruled over by an iron sharon...err...sorry..... iron fist.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Ha! Right!

I guess I meant, are BATM, TUS, and NRFTW being downloaded a lot, or referred to as classic albums, or highly regarded in the pinnacle world of heavy metal albums. No. It wasn't until NMT that Ozzy started to come back to a less glam-type rock and roll show that he started getting the fans back. He was more like a tatooed rocker with a dirty vibe.

Eventhough I personally love TUS, I think the whole Ozzy in Liberace robes was the all time low of his career and image.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

With regards to the Palladium shows....it doesn't sound unreasonable at all to ask to be paid. So what is missing here?
What is it that we DON'T know about what transpired in early 1981?