What is better,Texas soundcheck or new boxset footage?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

What is better,Texas soundcheck or new boxset footage?

Post by oth »

A few yrs ago a 30 sec snippet of undiscovered RR footage from a texas soundcheck was released.It was insignificant and poor quality.However,fans on these websites went apeshit over it. It was highly praised etc...A few years later we get 30+mins of unreleased RR footage and so many people are bitching about the quality,too much rudy,bad camera angle,bad cameraman etc.WTF?So whats so much better about the texas souncheck again?

If you dont like the price dont buy it or watch it free on utube.Is that not good enough for people?WTF :roll:

I watched some of it on utube and it is great for what it is and what u can expect.Anyway its a lot more than what we had before right?Its amazing to see the diary footage.I get the basic feel for what it was like.Yeah too much rudy but appreciate what u see of randy.Its preety amazing.He seemed much more polished here and u could see his upward trajectory.The palladium footage is poor but you can see rr and u get his vibe.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Whipper
Cool Member

Re: What is better,Texas soundcheck or new boxset footage?

Post by Whipper »

I totally agree!!! It's like people were actually expecting HD video with 5.1 surround, and the camera locked on Randy the entire time. :? :roll: But I guess it's like someone said on here awhile ago... even if you transported some of these people back in time to 1981 to the front of the stage on Randy's side, they'd probably still have something to bitch about.
Ric

rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Whipper wrote:I totally agree!!! It's like people were actually expecting HD video with 5.1 surround, and the camera locked on Randy the entire time. :? :roll: But I guess it's like someone said on here awhile ago... even if you transported some of these people back in time to 1981 to the front of the stage on Randy's side, they'd probably still have something to bitch about.

What got me was all the hype about the footage......things being said in the media like..."Fans won't believe their eyes", "Randy Rhoads fans will be picking their jaws up off the ground", " who knew we would have quality footage like this finally surface", "you gotta see this to believe it"...etc...etc...I think that gave some people the impression the footage was above "good" quality, probably restored to improve on it even more, and was going to be astounding overall. Building the excitement up to a point where some people would have been expecting near perfect, pro-shot footage.

What we have to understand though is some Rhoads fans are very "hardcore" in that they would go crazy over a piece of 4 sec footage that showed Randy's foot tapping to a song on stage, then the way he tied his shoe laces could be studied. But not all fans fit that mold, it doesn't make them less of a fan, just not so star struck.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

rokket wrote:
Whipper wrote:I totally agree!!! It's like people were actually expecting HD video with 5.1 surround, and the camera locked on Randy the entire time. :? :roll: But I guess it's like someone said on here awhile ago... even if you transported some of these people back in time to 1981 to the front of the stage on Randy's side, they'd probably still have something to bitch about.

What got me was all the hype about the footage......things being said in the media like..."Fans won't believe their eyes", "Randy Rhoads fans will be picking their jaws up off the ground", " who knew we would have quality footage like this finally surface", "you gotta see this to believe it"...etc...etc...I think that gave some people the impression the footage was above "good" quality, probably restored to improve on it even more, and was going to be astounding overall. Building the excitement up to a point where some people would have been expecting near perfect, pro-shot footage.

What we have to understand though is some Rhoads fans are very "hardcore" in that they would go crazy over a piece of 4 sec footage that showed Randy's foot tapping to a song on stage, then the way he tied his shoe laces could be studied. But not all fans fit that mold, it doesn't make them less of a fan, just not so star struck.
Really,the only people ive seen complaining are the people who didnt pay for it which gives them less reason to bitch.How can you complain about hype if you didnt pay for it.Perspective,helloooooo?
I wouldnt pay money to see it cause its not a major deal to me either way.Ive seen it now and it is what is- which is a lot better than nothing.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

Really,the only people ive seen complaining are the people who didnt pay for it which gives them less reason to bitch.How can you complain about hype if you didnt pay for it.Perspective,helloooooo?
I wouldnt pay money to see it cause its not a major deal to me either way.Ive seen it now and it is what is- which is a lot better than nothing.
Bingo, bingo, bingo!!!!!!!!

I DID pay for it, and it's a bunch of newbies who havent invested shit towards his legacy. "hey guys, I'm a Randy fan. Oooops, it's all available on YouTube, +1, here we go!!!!"

This has nothing to do with the 'haves and have nots'. It's the "gimme gimme gimmes, bitch if it ain't TRL/MTV/American Idol/ live quality" fans vs those that choose to relish the release.

I, for one, am tired of reading the pure shit that is vomiting on the board. We had absolutely NOTHING for 20 fucking years until this came out. NOTHING!!! And then the "Bob&Lee are the patron saints of England" crowd came. Seriously. Enough already.

Im tired of being a Randy 'fan', but I'm not tired of Randy's music. I think this release is the greatest thing ever to happen to Randy's legacy since Tribute. Apparently it ain't enough for the 'kidz'.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

The Texas soundcheck is like a little treasure on it's own, priceless & great to watch!
And I also think the quality isn't really that poor. Someone here said a while ago "all Randy footage is good footage!". I second that! Everything new will be much appreciated by the hardcore fans. Especially after some decades of "nothing was filmed...."
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I don't understand why someone simply cannot have a different opinion without you guys (those who love the footage) getting all butt hurt. Im not at all bitching that the footage exists. I simply don't feel its worth what was charged for it. And as Rokket said, it was hyped up to be something that it clearly isn't. I bought both cds and im extremely happy with them. Im extremely happy with the After Hours footage. I think some us hoped for something like after hours quality wise. So what we got was a bit of a let down. I wouldn't have wanted a camera trained on Randy the whole time. Just a video shot in a normal manner. People seem to think that because the video is from 81-82 it can't be good quality. Thats a load of crap. There are tons of quality DVDs that were filmed in that era. Also, just because its Randy, doesn't mean I have to like it. You guys choose to buy the footage and you are happy with your decision, and thats great! I choose not to buy it and im happy with my decision! Im happy that SOMETHING was released. I just hoped for better camera work and better quality. Maybe its my fault for expecting too much. We have a different opinion. Get over it and move on. Doesn't mean I love Randy any less.

Matt
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

dmnjr wrote:
Bingo, bingo, bingo!!!!!!!!

I DID pay for it, and it's a bunch of newbies who havent invested shit towards his legacy. "hey guys, I'm a Randy fan. Oooops, it's all available on YouTube, +1, here we go!!!!"

This has nothing to do with the 'haves and have nots'. It's the "gimme gimme gimmes, bitch if it ain't TRL/MTV/American Idol/ live quality" fans vs those that choose to relish the release.

I, for one, am tired of reading the pure shit that is vomiting on the board. We had absolutely NOTHING for 20 fucking years until this came out. NOTHING!!! And then the "Bob&Lee are the patron saints of England" crowd came. Seriously. Enough already.

Im tired of being a Randy 'fan', but I'm not tired of Randy's music. I think this release is the greatest thing ever to happen to Randy's legacy since Tribute. Apparently it ain't enough for the 'kidz'.
....and I, for one, am tired of hearing that because I haven't bought the set yet that I shouldn't have an opinion. We can spin it any way we want, but the footage, while nice to have, is not "amazing", as it was purported to be. Like someone else said, it's amazing to have footage of Randy, ANY footage of Randy, but the O's made this out to be stunning, which it is not. That's definitely misleading, and we Randy fans bought it, hook, line, and sinker. The promo clips released up to the actual release of the set were definitely misleading. No one expected pristine, immaculate footage, but this is mediocre stuff at best.

As a consumer, you, I, and everyone else have an opinion. Some of us have decided the footage is not worth the money, and that is our right. I fail to understand why some people who have bought the set have this need to justify their purchase. If you're happy with your purchase, great. But don't act like anyone else who has an opinion who has seen the footage has less of an opinion.

As well, no one is less of a Randy fan for not owning the set. I've been a Randy fan for years, but opted out of buying the set, as I felt the price was too steep for what we got.

It is utter nonsense to think that everyone will feel the same about this release, and the footage, such as it is.
dasboot

Post by dasboot »

I love the footage and the box set as a whole (the CDs sound amazing.) but I understand Matt and others' point of view that the quality of the footage is not that great even though we are glad to have it. For me, it exceeded all expectations of what I would EVER see in this life. It has a few incredible moments like when Randy walks onstage in NM and the first Mr. C solo in NY where he is playing next to Ozzy and pointing his V straight up at the peak of the solo.

At the same time, I also bought the remastered Let There be Rock DVD by ACDC shot two months before Bon Scott died which was in early 1980 I think. The quality is so good. I just wished we had that with Randy. The technology was easily there. Randy's death messed up everything as they did not get to shoot the MTV concert before he died. Unless there is more footage nobody knows about, this is likely the hand fate has dealt us fans. So, I fall into the "I'll take what I can get" camp.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I totally agree with the we will take what we can get crowd. I don't think there is anyone who does not wish we had better footage in the box. That being said I'm happy with what I paid for.

The stage attire Randy has on in NM was always my favorite. He was pictured in that attire in the DOAM tour program if I'm not mistaken. I bought both a program and the Rhoads t-shirt even though he was killed a little over a month before the tour hit Memphis TN. I have written here before that going to that concert after his death really felt strange. Seeing this footage would never replace actually getting to see him live, but is something I can at least keep and watch when ever I want.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

dmnjr wrote:And then the "Bob&Lee are the patron saints of England" crowd came. Seriously. Enough already.

Im tired of being a Randy 'fan', but I'm not tired of Randy's music. I think this release is the greatest thing ever to happen to Randy's legacy since Tribute.
Well put, thank you!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Alex wrote:The essense of it all and every other yap the last couple of years: Randy brings out the worst in people. That is the truth, and neither of you can get around that.
Randy has never brought the worse out of anyone.. The people involved bring the worse out of Randy and his legacy!
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

Ha ha ha ha