Did any of you see Randy play live?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sweet_Amber

Post by Sweet_Amber »

No, I was born way to late :lol: :cry:
If you can't walk, then you definetly can't run!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I was privileged to say the least and to witness the Great man himself on 17/9/80 at the Newcastle City hall UK England.From what i can remember of the time was the atmosphere was electric.The excitement as the lights went out in the Hall and the repeating chant of OZZY OZZY as the crowd cheered over the top of the intro which i could remember from the' Old Spice' aftershave advert.If you are old enough you'll relate to what Old Spice TV advert i'm on about.Anyhow the set seemed to fly over and i didn't have the Blizzard LP. I can remember stealing the Crazy Train single from Woolworths and i was gutted cos it didn't have the picture bag with it.LOL :lol: I cannot think, if i had the Mr Crowley single aswell but i only recognised a couple of songs, until they done the Sabbath songs. Iron Man was amazing and Randy seemed to give the song a fresh lift with his own style of playing i cannot remember if they done Children of the Grave but the wildest song of the set would of had to of been Paranoid.Ozzy said in the programme "as for the old songs well,i don't believe i would be able to get off a stage in Britain without doing the famous "Paranoid"(I cannot stand this song now its been hammered to death).So the crowd knew he was going to do this and he kept it for the encore the fans went F**king crazy it was scarey.I looked up above my head and the balcony was moving up and down that much that the plaster was starting to crack.I had visions of me being crushed to death at an Ozzy concert.I have never witnessed a concert to match this for the atmosphere and i've been to that many concerts i've lost count. Ozzy was crying with joy when he left the stage.The house lights lifted and i can remember Goodbye to Romance playing through the PA as we left the building.We hung around the backstage door and i seen a couple of my mates who got down the front they got drenched with Ozzys water throwing antics and Steve managed to get Randy's pick/plectrum i wonder if he still has this?? i offered to buy it from him and he wouldn't give it up.The Band came back about a month later i'd picked a flyer up after the gig and it mentioned that they would be playing the Mayfair ballroom in Newcastle but this was for over 18's only which counted me out as i was only 14! gutted is not the word.But my brother went as he could pass for being older jealousy being a fitting word.He came back from the gig with good news and what else did he have? he managed to get a Randy pick for me i was over the moon.I collected picks and drumsticks so this made my day.Don't ask for me to post it up as i don't have this anymore.It was a tortoiseshell Fender Medium and it was used.I'll try and post the flyer up and i have a few photos to put you in the picture.I found out later that Randy,Ozzy Lee & Bob had done a record signing in Newcastle and i could of met them but this wasn't advertised long 24hours notice.So i was disappointed yet again,my mate Steve has his progamme from the gig fullysigned and the Crazy Train single which i stole from Woolworths for him all signed.Its a pity i didn't keep in touch when he immigrated to Australia.Alas the Diary tour got cancelled due to Ozzy's over touring exhaustion and he cancelled the UK tour which was a big let down as he was due to do two nights at the City Hall.I will always remember the City Hall gig it was a special gig for the wildness and the crazy atmosphere and being so lucky to see Randy Rhoads Live. :D
Attachments
Ozzy Newcastle ticket.jpg
Ozzy Newcastle ticket.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
000_0012.jpg
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Hey Idol!
Great story! Thnx! :D
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

There's a bootleg of the Mayfair gig!
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Idol.....Excellent story, thanks for sharing it with us! We are among the privileged few to have seen Randy live, and I for one am very proud of that! :wink:
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
caver

Post by caver »

Xanadu wrote:Trigger.......September 2nd 1981. A date that I can recall as easily as my own birthday!!! Springfield, Illinois. The "Prairie Capitol Convention Center". Def Leppard opened.
I was at that same show! Small flyer I scanned earlier this year below.
Second time I saw him was Oklahoma City shortly before he died. I got wasted that night on Bacardi 151 and really don't remember that much about the show.
wyldeone
Cool Member

Randy Live

Post by wyldeone »

Saw Blizzard tour Aragon Ballroom in 81 ,Diary tour Rosemont horizon
1-24-82 If I look really hard on the video I can see me (NOT) Im like 12th row Randys side..
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Randy Live

Post by Trigger »

wyldeone wrote:Saw Blizzard tour Aragon Ballroom in 81 ,Diary tour Rosemont horizon
1-24-82 If I look really hard on the video I can see me (NOT) Im like 12th row Randys side..
That Aragon ballroom show is supposed to have been videoed and has been offered for sale for $$$$$$$. I imagine if it's true we will get to see it next year.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Randy Live

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Trigger wrote:
wyldeone wrote:Saw Blizzard tour Aragon Ballroom in 81 ,Diary tour Rosemont horizon
That Aragon ballroom show is supposed to have been videoed and has been offered for sale for $$$$$$$. I imagine if it's true we will get to see it next year.

Was thinking about that interesting quote from our great Mr. Lintball who entered that concert as well:
all the speculation of the pro shot "DIARY" film.....consider this....(and i hope this ends up on the message boards)....(hint).....the first time i saw ozz with randy was at the aragon ballroom in chicago with motorhead....there were cameras stage right,left ..no center.....this was very early on inte first tour....they talk about the films of def leppard from when they opened for ozzy, someone mentioned about contacting lemmy....that would be a good start....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wyldeone
Cool Member

aragon

Post by wyldeone »

I personally did not see no cameras. I have never seen cameras at the aragon (at lease in house cameras) But i was kinda messed up at that show, I remember the way RR walked across the stage and his presence on that stage the guy blew me away!! I had contact with lintball and offered him some good $$ for any new footage and I havent heard anything.. I even offered him $$ for 3 songs and nothing. Later Dave
Rhoads4ever

Post by Rhoads4ever »

I was fortunate enough to have seen him on both Blizzard shows in 1980 at the Hammersmith Odeon London in Sep and October .

I witnessed some of the most amazing guitar playing that I have ever seen and believe me I've seen most of the greats , Halen , Schenker , Page , Lifeson etc . Randy had an energy and spirit that in my opinion could not be matched by ANYONE .

I'm forever grateful I got that chance before he was so cruely taken away from us
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Caver.......That is just fantastic! All these years later and to run into someone who was at the same show! Wow! What a night that was , huh!!! I have one of those original flyers as well...there were a stack of them where we bought the tickets for the show...a great souvenier (sp)....anyway thanks for posting a copy of it. A great, great memory of an incredible evening :shock: :shock: :shock: ...so long ago and far away! :wink:
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
caver

Post by caver »

Yeah I was 18 and lived in Quincy at the time. Earlier that year I saw Pat Travers, Rainbow and Krokus at Prairie Capitol Convention Center. I think that was my first real concert I attended.
Many weeks after the Ozzy show Def Leppard did a gig at the local college
gymnasium at Quincy College. I don't even recall a stage riser and they only had knee high barricades between us and the band. Pete Willis could have reached out and shook my hand. Playing tunes like Hello America, Wasted,,,,stuff they are probably embarrassed to play now.
Anyway I do remember being blown away by Randy at the Springfield show. I thought this guy is going to give Van Halen a run for his money.

My ticket stub for the Oklahoma show was Feb 25 1982.
Too much alcohol that night. 25 years ago though,,,,hard to remember much. I can hardly remember what i ate three days ago.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Caver.....The Capitol Convention Center was a great place to see a show. I saw many there myself. A great place...not too big, not too small and the sound was always excellent. I haven't been there in years, as the 90's wore on, it seemed like they quit rock shows for the most part. Too bad....a great venue. I sure enjoyed your post!
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Xanadu wrote:Dean......Man, I'd love to hear ANY details or scant memories you may have of seeing RR in San Diego. Also, is the Sports Arena no long the prime concert hall in San Diego as it once was? I know the place has been there for a LONG time.......ALOT of rock history in that place...is it still standing? I hope so......just because of the echos of the bands that linger there still.........
The Flying Dutchman wrote:Me too!

Hey Dean,
Can you maybe add your memories about that gig to Did any of you see Randy play live?

It will be very much appreciated by the members here! Thnx!

Edit: I previously posted this in "off topic-most memorable gig" thread. Dutch wanted me to post it here...so here it is. :)

Oh man, I remember the Blizzard show at the Fox theater better than the Diary show at the S.D. Sports arena mainly due to the amount of illegal chemicals I had ingested in the parking lot before the show! :D

I remember at the Fox me and my friends Kelly and Perry had seats dead center of the venue, 16 rows back...Right in the "Sweet Spot". It was F**kin' awesome! I remember my ears ringing and lying in bed hours later and still being able to hear the music playing in my ears...It was that loud! Motorhead was the opener and man the whole show rocked! I can recall it wasn't totally sold-out, but there was a pretty good sized crowd. The fox was one of those old theaters with the huge curtains and ornate fixtures...Very Plush! It was pretty cool 'cuz even though I was not yet 21 yrs old, my friend Kelly was! He'd go into the lobby where the refreshments were sold and buy 3 beers at a time. It was even more cool 'cuz most of my crowd had written Ozzy off years before as a has-been! It was amazing that he was back bigger than ever with a young guitarist from L.A., just 100 miles noth of where we lived in San Diego! :D

:? I don't remember many details from the Diary show...only that I went with a group of about 10 friends...many of whom had been the ones who had written Ozzy off years earlier! We got absolutely HAMMERED in the parking lot before the show, blasting cassette copies of Ozzys two albums. I recall the show was way more elaborate at the SD Sports arena...Dwarves, stage props and very, very LOUD! I've still got the official tour book. I dig it out from time to time to remenisce. It's missing one page tho'. I tore out a close-up pic of Randy playing his polka dot "V" and had it on the wall of my music room for years as inspiration. Great memories...I've still got several copies of Diary and Blizzard on LP..Back then, when one wore out we bought another! I listen to 'em every so often. They still sound good when you crank it up! :D

To answer your question X...Yeah the Sports Arena is still standing but they don't hold many rock shows there anymore. Mostly Arena Football, Indoor Soccer and amatuer hockey. They built a new arena at San Diego State University Called Cox Arena. Real nice venue...but it's smaller than the old Sports Arena. I saw lots of shows at the SD sports arena. You can see my Ozzy with Randy stubs in the "mementos" and "Diary tour stub" threads. :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp