The Divid

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Remedylane
Cool Member

Re: The Divid

Post by Remedylane »

Silver Rhoads: I agree. There are tons of people making money off Randys name. Its really sad. And we can agree to disagree about the box set. Im sure the book is really cool. I just see books of that type all the time that end up at clearance prices. Our society doesn't care much about books anymore. I see very high qualitly hard cover books with rare photos of people like Elvis and The Beatles all the time at my local discount stores for 10 bucks or less. Most people aren't willing to shell out 50 bucks for a book no matter how cool it is. Also your location says Summerland. Kings X fan??

Tito: I agree, Im very happy that some footage surfaced. I only hope that there is more. I think a lot of folks think im totally against the footage and I hate it. That simply isn't the case. Ive tried to convey how I feel about it.

Matt
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

na i dont think your against it at all remedy...i mean i have been waiting for something on par with after hours...and i can ignore the cam shots if the audio was better?but then again there aint shit you can do with 8mm audio to begin with..i expected too much is what it boils down to...and i am one of the old timers that grew up without the internet..waiting for the premiere video on mtv etc....
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Tito wrote:na i dont think your against it at all remedy...i mean i have been waiting for something on par with after hours...and i can ignore the cam shots if the audio was better?but then again there aint shit you can do with 8mm audio to begin with..i expected too much is what it boils down to...and i am one of the old timers that grew up without the internet..waiting for the premiere video on mtv etc....

Perhaps I expected too much as well. Folks keep saying that we knew what to expect. Um, thats not true. Maybe if the Osbournes would have released some clips instead of Ozzy and Zakk both saying how incredible and amazing the footage was we wouldn't have gotten our hopes up. I too hoped for something close to After Hours. At the end of the day, if the audio is subpar, and you can't even see Randy, then all you have is a glorified audio bootleg IMO. I love Randy. Him and the first 2 Ozzy albums are why I wanted to play guitar. Ive waited a long time for some Randy stuff to surface. I guess I just expected it to be better. Some Randy fans get excited of the slightest little thing. And thats cool. There isn't anything wrong with that. Maybe im harder to impress. Even the vast majority of the bootleg audio shows on this site don't excite me. I guess listening to Randy with terrible audio just doesn't do it for me. But to each his own. Regardless of our opinions, one thing is for sure, we all love Randy here on this forum.

Matt
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

Remedylane wrote:Also your location says Summerland. Kings X fan??
Matt
Yes, very much a King's X fan. I have the entire catalog from the beginning to current ... though I do prefer the older material. I like it better than most of the music out today.

I agree with the Beatles and Elvis books being cheap these days. I only like the book if it's rare and has great photos, never-before-seen. Many of the photos have never been published and are extremely expensive to buy at REPPHOTO!

I also wanted to add that I haven't heard every audio Randy bootleg. But, seeing video is sort of special. I think that is was Zakk and Ozzy meant. It's rare and special. Not that it's amazing quality. Sure the audio could have been taken from the soundboard, but I think they wanted to show the video in its rare form, how it was filmed. I truly wasn't expecting anything better. The Chicago footage is really poor quality, but awesome to see.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Remedylane wrote: Folks keep saying that we knew what to expect. Um, thats not true.

With all due respect, you have no idea what the rest of us expected. Maybe you felt fooled by the Osbournes marketing. I did not.

And all Zakk said was that he watched the new Randy footage and that fans will love it. And he said that on twitter over a year ago. hardly a major cog in the marketing of this box set.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

I say it's 150 bucks well spent. I got mine and can't stop watching it... My laptop is coughing man... I been watching this DVD at least 3 times a day, and listen to the audio and 30th anniversary versions of BOO and DOAM.... I also get to put another DOAM vinyl in my collection of mint albums, along with the BOO... I also got posters :D

I say those people should stop bitching... Yea, I was a little aggravated with the camera focusing on Ozzy too much, but I saw Randy! That's all I wanted to see.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Remedylane wrote:Silver Rhoads: I agree. There are tons of people making money off Randys name
WHO???

the deluxe and legacy CD's sold around 6000 copies in the first week...the boxset would have been in the hundreds of copies not thousands, not big numbers....so who are all these people making money off randy's name??? JACKSON (well fender)??GIBSON?? who else?? Rudy?? Bob when his book is released??.....please enlighten me
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I'm waiting for my box in the mail and have seen the youtube footage. I'm very thankful for any footage,,,
Solos

Post by Solos »

I'll tell ya what... I would pay $150 dollars for that documentary if Bob, Lee, Max Norman, Pete Mertons, etc... were interviewed in it. To me, that is an item that actually has alot of value. Actually, as long as the Osbournes aren't running the show I'd bite at that price.
jasonmusicman
Cool Member

Post by jasonmusicman »

Solos wrote:I'll tell ya what... I would pay $150 dollars for that documentary if Bob, Lee, Max Norman, Pete Mertons, etc... were interviewed in it. To me, that is an item that actually has alot of value. Actually, as long as the Osbournes aren't running the show I'd bite at that price.
I dont have the box set yet as im waiting delivery, i saw the footage prior to buying and was not put off by the price. Im an ozzy fan as well as a long time randy fan, I have paid probably 3 times the cost of the box set over the years for poorer quailty footage on video, I remember the time back in the 80's buying an average copy of after hours from the usa and then paying to have it converted from ntsc to pal. For those of you who wasnt around back then we never had the internet and all the wonderful things it now gives us.

The only thing for me that i feel could have been done better is the documentary, The osbournes really missed an opportunity to really do something good there, they could have gone back to ridge farm, interviewed all involved and really gave us an understanding of the recording process including all the other stuff they have. I was thinking about the press release that sharon and ozzy did when they were talking about the talking stuff in the studio etc, Im wondering now if that was bobs holly grail tapes as bob had contacted sharon regards using them, Im wondering if sharon was a little ahead of herself and when bob want royalties etc she withdrew that, That can only be the reason also why the boxset got delayed, they didnt spend anytime really working on the nyc footage so it had to be legal reasons between bob.

But back to the box set, I dont worry about buying this stuff from the osbournes as i really think they have given us what we have always wanted. Let hope that peters doc now comes out.

Looking at the old palladium and chicargo footage we have, that would also be awesome to have in first generation not the 10th plus generation we already have, that would be just as good if not better than the footage the osbournes released.

jas.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Most people were hyped to buy the box set for nothing more than the DVD and perhaps the book. We don't need more copies of the cd's or vinyl albums. The poster is cool, but take it or leave it really, would have been great had it been two large posters, one of Ozzy and one of Randy. The cross, well...again...take it or leave it. Personally I would have been more excited if there were repo Blizzard and Diary tour programs or RR guitar pics.

Now I've seen the footage, yes it is cool, but not worth having to buy everything I don't really want just to get it. Therefore I decided not to buy the box set. If I'd have pre-ordered it, or rushed out to buy it before knowing what was in it footage wise, I would have felt that the money handed over didn't justify what I got, but wouldn't say that, of course. The footage is $25 great, not $170 great. The rest of whats in the box I don't need.

Too bad the 5+ hours of writing/rehearsal tapes that Bob Daisley has wasn't included........those recordings, in my opinion, are worth more, and would be more amazing than the DVD in the box set.

Sharon offered to buy them outright from Bob for next to nothing, but like anyone with common sense, Bob said no. And I don't blame him.

There's a good reason why Sharon would want them outright......to make them vanish for ever and never see the light of day, because those tapes would clearly show who were responsible for the first two albums, in terms of music and lyrics, and it isn't Ozzy.

The fact that Bob would have been happy to have them included in the box set, tells me, that what he's said about the music and lyric writing is true. Randy and Bob are mainly responsible for Ozzy being the success he is today. Without great music and great lyrics, a singer, who doesn't write or play an instrument, has nothing.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Remedylane wrote:They didn't have the footage over the past 29 years
also if they are only interested in cashing in and making money off randy's name why hasn't after hours been released multiple times??? it has been around for decades and they could have made a lot more money back when people actually bought music and didn't just seal it online
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

I have been a Randy fan since 1981,, Crazy Train was the first song I learned all the way through on guitar at 14..
30 years later It's still my fav,, and most requested....
Im from the days waaaay before the internet..I collected every magazine that had Randy in it...For decades I never seen him move.. only still pictures...
Even before YouTube...
Then I got a collection of Randy Boots all on one DVD,, and it had After hours on it...
I have been in and out of this forum trying to avoid any spioliers because my Boxset is finaly on it's way...
But I ,,too this day love the DVD I have.. Randy Rhoads Best Clips (I think)..Thats what put Randy too movement for me..
Grainy home video from the nose bleed seats...(You all know what Im talking about) :mrgreen:

The internet spoils us all....Makes us expect more from what we should be thankfull for...Aslo makes us Lazy...

I remember before guitar Tabs... we had to learn songs on our own.. that,, along with an awsome teacher.. made me train my ear..( Which all guitarists should IMHO) :D
I never had the luxury of posting on a guitar forum and asking how do I get Rhoads tone..( Like I see so many asking for Slash tone )
Whats the best pedal..?? Should I buy this amp?? 8)
I did it all myself.. along with guitar mods,, PUP swaps and all...I still dont use tabs either.. :mrgreen:

So now I fanally have my boxset coming and Im happy ..I get to see all the hoopla.. and Im not going to be let down at all.... I have cherished my RR best clips DVD for years.....Im sure My Box Set will be treated same.............

Funny thing is..
I must have spent 4 times as much on those 2 albums in the last 30 years...( Maybe even more) from all the records,, to cassette,,, to Cd's..I have lost,, got stolen.. or just worn out.....$150 for them in 2 sets...Back to original... drop in the pond for me....IMHO..
ImageImage
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

I'm in the same frame of mind as Jas, a few posts back. The Osbournes really missed the mark with the box set, and more importantly, the fact that it's for the 30th Anniversary of Blizzard and Diary. Where's a large poster of Randy? Where's a few limited edition guitar picks? Where's a repro of the tour books? A few repo backstage passes....??? and all the rehearsal tapes we could have been listening too....and the interviews with Lee Kerslake, Bob Daisley and Don Airey ...conducted at Ridge Farm????........when those guy's are alive, I really don't want to hear Blasko, Steve Vai or Lemmy talking about the albums.
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

I think more footage does exist ..
I also think that $haron is setting on it until Ozzy has to hang it up and retire...
We know of the studio outtakes...(From what $haron stated)
Until the O's and Bob and Lee can reach a legal agreement, I dont think we will see it though..
You know thier voices are in the tapes also...
And footage of the first U.K. tour has to be around as well..
They were working up a show...So why not tape it..
We have all seen the Quiet Riot footage of the guys rehearse infront of the wall of Mirrors ....
And Bob says he has audio tapes of rehearsals ....
Its out there...Just $$$$$ is the object ..unfortunately
Bob and Lee deserve whats due to them...I just dont think $haron feels the same..it'sSad, For us,,Randy's die hard fans to
have to suffer from it...
But I know Id want royalties for my work as well..
ImageImage