Boxset availability

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Solos

Boxset availability

Post by Solos »

I'm curious why the boxset isn't available at larger stores such as Best Buy, Walmart, etc...

It's been a couple of weeks since it was first released and I would think making it more widely available would result in more sales, and you know the Osbournes aren't shy about making a buck...
halo8th
Cool Member

Re: Boxset availability

Post by halo8th »

this isn't a highly "sellable" product, it only has a very small niche market. At such a high cost, i can tell you from my experience with inner-workings of mass retailers, that they don't want any part of this. They will stick with smaller, less expensive, and more moveable merchandise. Possibly 5 years ago, it may have been a possibility, but distinctly less in 2011.
This type of product is good for a local music "chain" or specialty audio/cd-dvd store.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Thing of that is I see other Boxsets in Best Buy. As a matter of fact when I went to look for this one I saw other Boxsets NOT this. I think Sharon wanted the stores out of the middle. I think this was a was for them to make more money per Boxset.
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

Thank god this set isn't available at walmart
Solos

Post by Solos »

The middle man theory sounds about right... It figures that in the end, its all about money.

I would own the box if I was able to find it at a brick and mortar establishment. Since I have to go through the trouble of ordering online then wait for shipping, I'm holding out. I never thought I would be able to either which is weird.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Solos wrote:The middle man theory sounds about right... It figures that in the end, its all about money.

I would own the box if I was able to find it at a brick and mortar establishment. Since I have to go through the trouble of ordering online then wait for shipping, I'm holding out. I never thought I would be able to either which is weird.
Same here! I couldn't believe I could not find it anywhere.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I think it's strange the box set can't be had at discount outlets. I understand no huge display like for some releases, but I'm sure they would have sold more if the big box stores had them. It is correct about being sort of a niche item.

Which is why we should be happy the Osbournes are even going to the trouble with the footage. That should tell you something about how they feel about us Randy fans. I don't see them making a huge profit off this unless they sell a lot of them. If it is a niche item I don't see how they will. I wish there was a way to track just how many they have sold.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

How do you create more demand and more buzz?

Artificial shortages.

Marketing 101
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

That is called "Perceived Scarcity" and is a well known marketing tactic. As a RR fan before I'm an Ozzy fan who was going to get this thing regardless I must say the average Joe could care less about this from the footage point of view. If it was a pro shot concert it might have been an easier sell to the average buyer of Ozzy stuff. The footage while a historic document of both RR and Ozzy at the beginning of Oz's solo career I don't think it's a selling point to folks who are Ozzy fans first. That is unless they are rabid fans of Ozzy. I'm sure they are out there, but they have lots of video post BOO and DOAM. That being said I'm not so sure the "Perceived Scarcity" model is whats being done here.

How much advertising has been done outside of fan sites. The VH1 Classic showing was a great advertising venue although I'm not sure just how big even their audience is. I personally don't have VH1 Classic. I believe in the Osbourne's minds this was always just a true fan item. Remember sometimes things are priced high because there is not enough demand, and the item is priced to cover what they know will be a lower sales volume.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i can tell you they spent alot on the vh1 classic commercials...i think i counted 4...that aint cheap!!!!they ran 4 ads promoting it in an hour!!!
Solos

Post by Solos »

Tito wrote:i can tell you they spent alot on the vh1 classic commercials...i think i counted 4...that aint cheap!!!!they ran 4 ads promoting it in an hour!!!
But they had to sell or license the doc to them, so I'm sure it didn't cost them anything when all was said and done. Actually, I'm sure they pocketed a tidy sum... they wouldn't have allowed it to be shown if they didn't.

Though it may be true that this is marketed toward the RR community, I personally know of guys that are not RR fans, that would buy this boxset if they saw it in a store. Some people are just music fans and buy "rare and collectable" items put out by bands in the genre they are fans of.

Regardless of how clever they Osbourne marketing team thinks it is, they are missing out on potential sales by doing things this way. I may eventually get off my butt and by it online, but I would definitely already have it if it was at bestbuy for example. I've been there five times in the past month for other things.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

clashradio wrote:Thank god this set isn't available at walmart

Why?

I shop there, and I know a lot of you do as well, even if it's 'cool' to bash the place.
slobberface

Post by slobberface »

Ha I wish this thing was at Wal-Mart...
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

I bet if it was available at Walmart you'd probably be paying $119.99 for it. Newbury Comics (in the Boston area) has it for $129.99. Who wouldn't want to save money?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

I LOVE WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!!!!thank you sam walton!!!!!!!