Was thinking...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Re: Was thinking...

Post by Stiltzkin »

telemaster wrote:I think Rudy gets a bad rap. He was picked by RR....twice!
something tells me it was more on a friendly basis than on a professional.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

me too...someone who could be trusted and keep thier mouth closed...and be able to play bass an have the look...as far as finding a replacement really fast?jmo
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Yeah, Rudy can definitely play. He's tight, and in the pocket. Just not the biggest "risk taker" when it comes to bass lines. During the Slip of the Tounge (Whitesnake) era, Peavey even made a Rudy Sarzo bass. And before that, I believe Washburn made him an Eddie Van Halen type bass (with the black and white pinstripes - from what I remember). So, the guy's had 2 signature model bass guitars, and Bob's had zero. But, that doesn't mean anything really.

Bob, on the other hand, I'd say AT TIMES was more dominant than Randy. Especially on DOAMM. I still think the outro of Little Dolls is insane. Bob is totally off the hook! Tonight is legendary too. Just a really great feel that guy brought to the table.

It would have been interesting to hear an Ozzy (studio) album with Rudy on bass.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

I like Rudy and he's a solid player, but that damned finger to the tounge thing is just plain wierd. I know some old people did that when they thumbed through the Yellow Pages, but i really dont get what it accomplishes when pounding out a few bass notes.
telemaster

Post by telemaster »

I know some old people did that when they thumbed through the Yellow Pages
And some quarterbacks......
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

So the knock on Rudy is that he licks his fingers??? Ok.. Anyways.. I personally think he does a great job. He is a very solid bassist. I like some of the fills he does in Mr Crowley on the live recordings. Bob is definately a better writer and better all around musician. But I think Rudy likely had him on stage presence.

Oh and KUDOS to the person that mentioned Randy Castillo.

Matt
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Thanks... i was the one that mentioned Randy Castillo.

you guys forget one very important. the most important.. personalities!!!

ozzy and Randy traveled on a bus with these people day in and day out. Ozzy said Bob and Lee bitched all the time. Always over in the corner whispering. If true... that would get old. Personalities is the main reason to find replacements.

as for Rudy... great bass player and also a peice of home for Randy.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Great point axeman. The bitching may have been annoying, and moreso - self defeating. Although, I have seen a few pics of the original BOO line-up giving their bow/wave at the end of the gig, and their smiles are reminiscent of a Cheshire cat's grin.

I think those early BOO days were magical, and even Ozzy has said he regrets replacing those guys. Nothing can substitute the heart and sweat involved in building something from scratch.

My vote is still, and always be for Bob and Lee.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Bob was more of a melodic bass player but Rudy had the look and they moves down.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

i actually liked bobs look better, less glam and more zepplinish, and i like his playing live better than rudy's, just listen to the outro solo of mr crowley on live EP and compare it to rudy's playing on the outro solo of mr crowley on the new live album.
then you guys wont think rudy was better live!
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

TheMrAxeman wrote:i actually liked bobs look better, less glam and more zepplinish, and i like his playing live better than rudy's, just listen to the outro solo of mr crowley on live EP and compare it to rudy's playing on the outro solo of mr crowley on the new live album.
then you guys wont think rudy was better live!
Thats very true. I liked how Bob would threw a lot of licks and jams into his bass playing, not just punding a few notes in the background. Bob was quite distinctive and more classic rock looking than Rudy. Maybe Ozzy wanted a flashier stage show and thought Bob and Lee were too old school.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

AndrewT1976 wrote:I think those early BOO days were magical, and even Ozzy has said he regrets replacing those guys. Nothing can substitute the heart and sweat involved in building something from scratch.

My vote is still, and always be for Bob and Lee.
Well said...

this looks like a great band:

The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Yep! That's THE band. Not the arena set-up with the castle and dwarf.

THIS is what it's all about.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

would of loved to see this lineup on the footage.....i would have been able to digest the horrible audio quality much better....my son watched the new mexico footage with me and told me "the sound is horrible.it makes randy sound like he's not playing the right notes"....wow! i'm sorry the more i watch it the more it sucks balls to me....i watched it 3 times and thats enough for me...the palladium footage got one view only cuz every song wasnt entire....so for me i will say 160 bucks for the footage is a RIP OFF!!!!!!!! the live cd rr solo and gtr vocal acoustic would have been good enough for the money but not the footage....they should have buried that not release it..
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

Tito wrote:...they should have buried that not release it..
what ever happened to any footage of randy is good footage
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com