Help me get this straight once and for all, please...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

roballyn

Re: Help me get this straight once and for all, please...

Post by roballyn »

Thanx for clearing me up on Chris' guitar. When i spoke to him, W.A.S.P. was on the KFD tour(whatever year that was) and the story he gave me was that "he was relieved" of several Jackson guitars and Marshall's by a guy who was storing his gear while he was in rehab. I named of a few, he showed me the ones he was using, the black "defaced" RR, and the original yellow Charvel star (refinished, kinda...well what's left of it! lots of wood missing). I assumed the zebra striped was one of the stolen ones. Sorry guys, I hate to give false info, especially when it comes to my heroes and their weapons of choice.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

It's all good, Roballyn...the way I see it, we're all involved in the conversation, and folks are able to offer something that helps answer a question or clear up a mystery, and with that, all of us learn something from what each of us contributes.
Yet another reason why this is a great forum! 8)

~Tom
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I don't know how long Kirk Hammett had owned this guitar but i heard this was one of the early Rhoads guitars. This photo is from September 1986.
Attachments
Scan10008.jpg
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I don't know how long Kirk Hammett had owned this guitar but i heard this was one of the early Rhoads guitars. This photo is from September 1986.
that's the one the kirk says is #5
whoopiecat wrote:Thanks for that link, Synth. Boy, those guitars certainly saw some use over the years...Randy said that he considered the guitar to be a tool, but Chris took that to the next level.
It looks like Chris wound up selling the Zebra stripe on ebay to a collector in Finland in '03:

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/chri ... siness.htm

I noticed in the red link 'First WASP Tour' on the page for the Black One, it shows a screenshot of Chris using a Brass on Black, (like Randy's), in the movie "Dungeonmaster", in which the band made an appearance:

http://www.jacksonguitarpalace.com/chri ... ackrr1.htm
nice to see chris using metal picks...which I use as well...

asfor the zebra, I have told jani that if he ever wants to sell t i'll take it....don't think he will though :cry:
roballyn

Post by roballyn »

Always hated metal picks, although i own 2 of Warren Dimartini's and the "infamous" Joe Holmes metal pick he was using when he broke a string during the 2nd solo of Mr. Crowley on the radio broadcast. He gave me that pick along with a few of his "throw out" picks, as well as the play by play of what happened. Super-nice guy! Hate that he dropped out of the scene though. Any truth to him being Born Again? I actually play drums in a Christian hard-rock band called Black Horse North(check us out on Facebook and Reverbnation). I'm sure most of you will hear, my guitarist was heavily influenced by Randy. And yes, i realize that was a shameless plug! LOL!
telemaster

Post by telemaster »

I thought the reference to "The Original Sin" was that the white one was the first Jackson. I noticed a Wikipedia entry has reference to it being called "Original Sin", but I believe someone mistook the wording of the ad:
!BZp7ihw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKi4EjlLmZ,1SBKn)EoRoSg~~_12.jpg
I recall reading an article where Grover said he wanted to see a marketed model of the black one as The Concorde, or the Randy Rhoads Concorde.

I've always thought of the production model as the Rhoads model.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I don't know how long Kirk Hammett had owned this guitar but i heard this was one of the early Rhoads guitars.

Oakland Stadium 08-31-85
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

What was Kirk, all of about 23 right there? He looks like a little kid!
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

dmnjr wrote:What was Kirk, all of about 23 right there? He looks like a little kid!
22 still ... a few months from 23.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Is "For Whom The Bell Tolls" the only song filmed from Metallica's set that day? I'm guessing that might be the case, as more would have been on the 'Cliff 'Em All' vid.
Thanks for posting that Jackson ad, Telemaster...that was the one I was referring to earlier, but couldn't find in a google search. 8)

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

What's with the DOTG concerts and the lack of footage (i.e. Ozzy, Metallica, ect.)????????? Really....
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

Thanks for the pic, RRP.

While some may not agree, I always felt Kirk was a continuation of Randy into the 80's. Kirk played a lot of really emotional, in-depth solos back in the day. I'm talking Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets era... He threw a lot of bluesy phrases in with the wierd minor modes and such. I can totally hear Kirk playing the Diary of a Madman solo in a Metallica song and it not sound out of place.

Once he found the wah though, we lost him....he was like a junkie from which there was no return....lol
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

AND HIS VIBRATO ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ON TOP OF THE WAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Solos

Post by Solos »

Tito wrote:AND HIS VIBRATO ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ON TOP OF THE WAH!!!!!!!!!!!
The funny thing is that one of his main influences is Schenker. You would think he would've tried to copy Michael's vibrato and pitch perfect bends. I don't know how you can be into him and not notice it!