Bumblefoot Reviews Box Set

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dinomite
Cool Member

Bumblefoot Reviews Box Set

Post by dinomite »

Here is Bumblefoot (Guns N' Roses) Review of the box set.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ues-449536

Here's what he said about the dvd:
DVD – Thirty Years After The Blizzard

"Watching this, I got kind of welled up with emotion, and that doesn't happen too often. Just seeing Ozzy listening to the raw tracks and hearing Randy's isolated takes, the moments where he goes, 'What was that? Where did that come from?', you know what he's feeling. The look in his eyes, the way his face changes at certain points…it hits you in the heart.

"The testimonies from the other people, especially Zakk Wylde, are very pround and eloquent. I love documentaries like this that let you in on little secrets, all the unused vocal tracks I never knew about, and discovering that Ozzy was just making up sounds on certain songs. It's a real treat. Anybody who's an Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads fan will truly appreciate the intimate look behind the studio glass that this DVD provides."
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Re: Bumblefoot Reviews Box Set

Post by TheMrAxeman »

sweet
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
tone1963

Post by tone1963 »

Awesome! 9 more days...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Cool thanks for putting that up.
Lara Coimbra

Post by Lara Coimbra »

Hey mom I know what I want for my birthday! :wink: :mrgreen: :P
Well, Randy's up to bat, gonna hit me a home run...
Sorry 'bout that, outside, ball one...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I like Bumblefoot's review and his version of Over the mountain was very cool. I'm a little skeptical about him being 13 on it.
First, he said he was 11 when BOO and Diary came out (1981) so that would mean he pulled together a style that allowed him to play Randy in 2 years.
Second, the mix of the tape was especially good for 1983. Home studios are affordable now but a 4X recorder in 1983 would be mega-expensive.
Third, once again the playing was good and worked well - He could of replaced Brad or Bernie!

None of these things are impossible but it seems very unlikely.
Thrasherfan17

Post by Thrasherfan17 »

hansolo wrote:I like Bumblefoot's review and his version of Over the mountain was very cool. I'm a little skeptical about him being 13 on it.
First, he said he was 11 when BOO and Diary came out (1981) so that would mean he pulled together a style that allowed him to play Randy in 2 years.
Second, the mix of the tape was especially good for 1983. Home studios are affordable now but a 4X recorder in 1983 would be mega-expensive.
Third, once again the playing was good and worked well - He could of replaced Brad or Bernie!

None of these things are impossible but it seems very unlikely.
A buddy of mine is friends with him. He said he has perfect pitch and can play anything he hears. He's an amazing player. When he was 12, a friend bet him that he couldn't play Eruption backwards, so he learned it. Here's the GW interview where they ask him about it:

"GW One of your biggest guitar influences growing up was Eddie Van Halen. Is it true that you learned to play “Eruption” backward?

THAL I had to—it was a challenge. And yeah, this was the early Eighties, and there was nobody like Eddie. Before that I was into Kiss, AC/DC, the Beatles. But the first time I heard Van Halen, it was like nothing else. I had “Eruption” on cassette, so I popped out the reels, flipped them over and popped them back in. I literally wanted to be able to play the song forward and backward. And at 12 years old, I could do it. "

Here is the rest of the interview if anyone is interested: http://www.guitarworld.com/article/ron_ ... page=0%2C1

Its great that he's a huge RR fan! I like everyone else here am counting the days until next Tuesday!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I'm gonna have to check out Bumblefoot! I'm glad I worded it correctly with skeptical. It's always possible! Guns and Roses? I guess ya gotta make a name and life can be funny.

I knew a guy in my school (I'm 42 now) in the same grade, Mike Stark (Randy fan) that in 10th grade he offered music lessons. He could play Eddie, Randy and it took him 2 weeks to play Yngwie! I heard tapes, was friends with those taking lessons (and I prodded them what he taught) went to his house, he came to my party and jammed but I never took lessons from him (or anyone else). My family was low-middle class. Sigh. It is a huge regret that I have. I still am an intermediate guitarist. Many people have moved on but rock is my love. I never got over it. "Won't ever change, may think it's strange..."
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Nice article...
Mozart82

Post by Mozart82 »

Ron Thal (Bumble foot) Is a monster guitarist, it's pretty cool he reviewed the box set. He's one of the most talented lead guitarist to break out of the early 1990s underground so to speak. I know technique and speed isn't everything but he has a lot of talent and knows what he is doing. 8) (not that my 2 cents matters) :lol:
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Yeh! He is very telented.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Good review, but ive read 2 reviews so far, and neither one really mentioned the live footage. What gives?

Matt
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

no ones getting the live footage. Its top secret thats what were all really paying for, the rest is just filler. Luckily I havent got the original albums or the vinyl. Oh and bumblefoot is brilliant, great guy huge respect, great guitarist and i got to see him live with guns which was awesome.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Ok, well that makes a lot of sense.. I was just beginning to wonder what was going on!